OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #272 of 4,883
  After one week of usage, the ha-2 right channel started emitting noise today. It randomly appeared, last a few seconds to 10s of seconds. It was a hiss sound. Sometime it appeared when there's no music, sometimes it came with the music. I listened to a sennheiser HD650 using flac files from a Laptop with USB output. 

It appeared in the morning for about 10 times, then disappear in the afternoon.

I turn the unit on and off and adjust the jacks, and switch gain between H-L, didn't make any difference. 

Anybody experienced the same? 

I NEVER EXPERIENCE A "HISS SOUND" ON MINE, IVE BEEN USING IT FOR MORE THAN 1 WEEK AND IT SOUNDS REALLY GREAT, IM USING IT ON MY IEM W60 & SE 846, HIFIMAN HE400i CANS. MAYBE YOURS HAVE A PROBLEM, SEND IT BACK FOR CHECK UP.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #274 of 4,883

I've hooked up the HA-2 to my iPad and iPhone.  What's the best way to control the volume i.e. should the volume be maxed on the built-in IOS Music Player?
How to I get the best sound?

Thanks.

There is a reference document on Oppo's website referring to this very question.

http://oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=103&ProdID=HA-2

Thanks.  Exactly what I was looking for.

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #275 of 4,883
Dear all, in the meanwhile the HA-2 will be available in Italy (it has just shown up on amazon.it but from france), I'm doing my...ehmm...shopping list to better enjoy the dac.
I've chosen some IEM (I already own a pair of DJE-1500...I'm an utter novice) and a couple of closed over ear headphone.
Respectively (from cheapest) Shure SE425 (279€) - Fidue A83 (349€) - Shure SE535 (390€) (maybe you've noticed they all have, piooner included, mmcx connectors: I'd like to make my own cables) and Momentum 2.0 (319€) - B&W P7 (379€) and Denon AH-MM400 (477€)

I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience  with this gear paired  with the HA-2 and if the price increase is justified by performance increase as well
Feel free to advice on better price/performance ratio stuff.

Thanks for your help
Marco

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #276 of 4,883
I've had mine now for four days now and I'm beginning to get comfortable with it.  I've posted on AVSForum about some of my initial thoughts but I'm new to this board and thought I'd share here too.

I'm new to the world of outboard DACs and this is my first purchase of one.  I had originally planned on buying an HA-1 but saving up for it was tough (dishwasher failed just this week....the travails of being a homeowner!).  The $299 price was easier to justify.  I also already have a tube pre-amp and Class A solid state amp in my two channel listening room so I have some of the things the HA-1 brings to the table already.  I also don't have a good set of headphones yet...this purchase was mainly for the DAC and I'll expand later as budget allows.

I've already written elsewhere about the sound...I'm new to the this specific DAC chip despite hearing a lot about it for years and I do like the sound.  The more I listen to it, the more obvious it is when I'm listening to garden variety consumer DACs.  Every day that passes makes this distinction more obvious.

In working with the HA-2 daily, I'm noticed a few things:

1.  Use the VOCC charging cable only for charging.  It seems to be a special cable in terms of signaling the charger so it needs to be used solely for that (so you don't lose it or damage it).  Any USB Male A - MicroB USB cable will work when connecting it to a computer to be an outboard DAC, be it sourced from Monoprice, Best Buy, heck Home Depot sells them too.

2.  The short 3 inch USB-Lightning cable included for iOS users is nice but I'm afraid it will get overused, worn and finally give out over time.  There's nothing special about it, other than being MFi certified (which is required).  I'm going to order some cables from Monoprice next week to have as backups.

3.  The ability to charge a phone with the HA-2 is nice.  Don't expect you'll get a complete charge out of one, especially if you have something hungry like a phablet.  I let my HA-2 charge by iPhone 6+ from 32% charged to about 58% before the HA-2 finally gave out.  Yes, I was playing music too (part of the test) but the ability to charge is best a "pony bottle" situation for emergencies.  Still, nice to have.

4.  The fact that you cannot use one plug to charge the HA-2 and simultaneously charge an iPhone sucks but I imagine its a limitation of how many watts you can draw safely through one connection.  Still, I could see this being a problem on long flights.  Fortunately for VOCC charger can get a full charge in 90 minutes....50% in about 30-40.

5.  I need a carrying case for the two devices (phone and HA-2).  Since I have a phablet, the included rubber hands are impractical to hold the units together.  I'm open for suggestions from others on that.

6.  The Bass setting seems to be well controlled to the frequencies it's supposed to augment with no bleed-over.  One test I did was to play a Linn Records recording I have of Toccata and Fugue, but instead of a pipe organ, it's played with violins.  There was no difference between using the bass setting when listening to this track, as it should be.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #277 of 4,883
I am going to release part 2 of my Oppo HA-2 tomorrow. I have been listening to the free tracks as part of the Oppo/David Elias promotion which are DSD recordings. I will update generally on how I'm now finding the Oppo HA-2 a week or so later.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #278 of 4,883
  [snip]

6.  The Bass setting seems to be well controlled to the frequencies it's supposed to augment with no bleed-over.  One test I did was to play a Linn Records recording I have of Toccata and Fugue, but instead of a pipe organ, it's played with violins.  There was no difference between using the bass setting when listening to this track, as it should be.

Those are well-considered comments, Sevenfeet.  I especially like your 6th point.  The Bass+ was too strong and wide in the first prototype of the HA-2, so it's really gratifying to see someone praising how it was eventually tuned for the released version. It was discussed at length during Beta testing. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #281 of 4,883
I have the CEntrance DACport LX (DAC with no amp), not the DACport (DAC with amp), but even if I had the DACport, it's awkward to compare it to the HA-2 because the difference in features is enormous. Still, if you are OK with rates up to only 96/24, and no support for Android or IOS devices, etc. I'll say that the DACport LX is a little bit grainy, but for my tastes, has a less sterile-sounding treble, and a slightly warmer tone, overall, than the HA-2's ESS9018M2 implementation. That said, there's no contest. I'd much rather own the HA-2, especially for use with the PM-3 or even the PM-1, but maybe not for a bright headphone. (One man's opinion...)

Mike

Mar 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #282 of 4,883
I have the CEntrance DACport LX (DAC with no amp), not the DACport (DAC with amp), but even if I had the DACport, it's awkward to compare it to the HA-2 because the difference in features is enormous. Still, if you are OK with rates up to only 96/24, and no support for Android or IOS devices, etc. I'll say that the DACport LX is a little bit grainy, but for my tastes, has a less sterile-sounding treble, and a slightly warmer tone, overall, than the HA-2's ESS9018M2 implementation. That said, there's no contest. I'd much rather own the HA-2, especially for use with the PM-3 or even the PM-1, but maybe not for a bright headphone. (One man's opinion...)

Mike

Thanks,
I am looking for a combo Dac/amp and although this is enticing I would like to see comparisons with the Calyx F when it comes out.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #283 of 4,883
Have anyone tried the HA-2 with Shures? Specifically SE315 or SE846. I plan to get my first DAC-AMP for my iPhone and are looking ofr suggestions in that proice range that connect ti iPhone without any CCK.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #285 of 4,883
Hi All,

I am a newbie here and have 1 question regarding this OPPO HA-2 amp.
When plugging HA-2 into a PC/labptop via USB-B port, it will use power from the USB port for both DAC and amp?
Or, the amp. still uses power from the lithium battery as O2/ODAC combo operates.

I really appreciate any help that you can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back