OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #256 of 4,883
I've hooked up the HA-2 to my iPad and iPhone.  What's the best way to control the volume i.e. should the volume be maxed on the built-in IOS Music Player?
How to I get the best sound?

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #257 of 4,883
If you are using the analog connection then don't max it out, keep it where there is no distortion and whatever volume is comfortable for you.  If its a digital connection, you can max out the volume in your software but I usually keep mine just a little bit lower because some songs can go over 100% digitally, especially bass sounds and clip a little. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #258 of 4,883
  If you are using the analog connection then don't max it out, keep it where there is no distortion and whatever volume is comfortable for you.  If its a digital connection, you can max out the volume in your software but I usually keep mine just a little bit lower because some songs can go over 100% digitally, especially bass sounds and clip a little. 

Thanks.  I'm using a digital connection.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #259 of 4,883
Good news about my Synology NAS project some weeks ago. I could attach the HA-1 and the NAS detected it as USB speakers. So I could use the Synology Audio Station app to bring the NAS content directly to the Oppo. Therefore I think there is a good chance the HA-2 will work the same. However I decided to go for a second pair of headphones to use near the couch and leave the T1s for the Oppo HA-1 on my desk. Just don't know which ones, but definetly not 600 Ohm ones. As far as I understood so far, 250 might be better for the HA-2? 

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #260 of 4,883
  Good news about my Synology NAS project some weeks ago. I could attach the HA-1 and the NAS detected it as USB speakers. So I could use the Synology Audio Station app to bring the NAS content directly to the Oppo. Therefore I think there is a good chance the HA-2 will work the same. However I decided to go for a second pair of headphones to use near the couch and leave the T1s for the Oppo HA-1 on my desk. Just don't know which ones, but definetly not 600 Ohm ones. As far as I understood so far, 250 might be better for the HA-2? 

It really depends on the sensitivity of the headphones along with the impedance. I'm using the HA-2 around 75% volume and can easily also go up to around 95% on high volume listening with the HD650 and they are 300 ohms but 103dB sensitivity.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #261 of 4,883
Can any Oppo HA-2 owner tell me if there is ANY hiss in Lo gain mode with sensitive IEM's (<16ohm)? I mostly use iem's theses days and am really interested in this sexy dac/amp. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!!

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #263 of 4,883
Mar 6, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #264 of 4,883
Just a clarification on my earlier issue (battery drain on android phone while using HA-2 via usb OTG):

It was indeed an issue with a corrupt file on the SD card.  Media Server process was cycling on the bad file, draining battery at an accelerated rate.  Reformatted card, put a few verified clean mp3's back on, and battery drain is MUCH more reasonable.  Looks like it went from 40% per hour to 2-4% per hour.  

Thanks, and happy listening!

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #266 of 4,883
  I've hooked up the HA-2 to my iPad and iPhone.  What's the best way to control the volume i.e. should the volume be maxed on the built-in IOS Music Player?
How to I get the best sound?

Thanks.

There is a reference document on Oppo's website referring to this very question.

http://oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=103&ProdID=HA-2

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #267 of 4,883

Thanks for the quick response and IEM reference @AudioMan2013!

Just checked again. No hiss on low or high gain with volume maxed and player paused with IE80's.

Very nice so this make me save for it more and more, esp if i will be using with a sony A17 walkman + fiio L5 line-out

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #269 of 4,883
Very nice so this make me save for it more and more, esp if i will be using with a sony A17 walkman + fiio L5 line-out

You may want to skip all of that and just try connecting it directly to your phone. Once you get it, try both ways and determine which one you like. The HA-2's dac and amp is of higher quality than both of those (atleast in my opinion).

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #270 of 4,883
You may want to skip all of that and just try connecting it directly to your phone. Once you get it, try both ways and determine which one you like. The HA-2's dac and amp is of higher quality than both of those (atleast in my opinion).

Plan to use it as amp for my NWZ-A17 hi-res audio walkman and  as DAC for my Laptop to byspass th eintel HD audio thingy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back