Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #5,401 of 5,414
Anyone else had this sort of problem with their HA-1 screen? It's getting some weird ghosting on it, and eventually fades to black entirely.
Did you try to change the display type and/or reboot the unit?

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #5,402 of 5,414
Did you try to change the display type and/or reboot the unit?
It happens on all screen types/dimmer settings. I can't do a factory reset as I don't have a remote unfortunately (unless there's a way to do it without one?).

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #5,403 of 5,414
It happens on all screen types/dimmer settings. I can't do a factory reset as I don't have a remote unfortunately (unless there's a way to do it without one?).
Sorry, I meant unplug the unit and plug it back a minute or two later.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #5,404 of 5,414
Sorry, I meant unplug the unit and plug it back a minute or two later.
That seems to have fixed it (for now)! Thanks mate.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #5,405 of 5,414
That seems to have fixed it (for now)! Thanks mate.
Good. Better start looking for your area's service agency just in case you might need repair.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #5,406 of 5,414
Good. Better start looking for your area's service agency just in case you might need repair.
I already have - it looks like I'm S.O.O.L getting this one serviced by Oppo Australia.

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #5,407 of 5,414
I welcome your input on why the improvement???

This group / thread has been so helpful. So I have been on the fence, do I or don't I get an external preamp. Well, I remembered that my Class A Oppo HA-1 headphone amp / preamplifier had a high quality preamp built in and decided to use my ACTIVE speakers via that HA-1. Well lo and behold when I set the Gustard r26 DAC to fixed volume output and controlled the volume via the HA-1 (which is an analog control knob) with connected active speakers via xlr my sound jumped a level in the best way possible.

I welcome your input on why the improvement??? Kinda dumbfounded once again. How can this be and thank you in advance for educating a newbie.

Is the Oppo HA-1 a good preamp?? Would I be better off with a stand-alone preamp? I now use the Ferrum OOR as my HP amp but need a remote to control volume for the Active speakers which the OOR does not have but the HA-1 does. Based on the Oppo HA-1 specs it appears the preamp portion is pretty darn good. Am I wrong?

R26 feeding the HA-1 Class A discrete headphone amp / preamplifier via xlr analog in.
HA-1 feeding Active speakers via XLR out.
I just received an OPPO HA-1 JDM unit last week. I can tell by the sound that OPPO cloned the famous Sansui double-diamond, Alpha-X circuitry (from the 1980s). This is my favorite, and arguably the best, analogue amp design ever conceived. The music so alive. This is truly hi end stereo. I bought it to be used as a headphone amp, but as a pre-amp, it blows away my John Curl designed Parasound pre-amp. I have Parasound amps for each channel with Klipsch speakers, and the sound stage from the HA-1 as a pre-amp has taken my system to whole new level. Holographic, huge and focused. Mystically alive.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #5,408 of 5,414
I can confirm that JDM / English / Aussie market units of the HA-1 have an auto-switching power supply. My JDM unit plugs into the American mains and can handle 120vac at 60 hz. It does have a transformer hum that comes through the OP amp based analog outputs, at least when using the RCA outputs. The hum also occurs if I supply 100vac using a variac. It's not bad, and can not be heard once a signal is passing through the outputs. It sounds like an "open ground" issue.

The hum, fortunately, can not be heard when using the Class A headphone outputs. This area is the jewel of the HA-1. It has discrete, hand matched components. I have an interconnect on order that will allow me to use the headphone output as the feed for my home stereo amps. As long as I don't over-volt the inputs on my Parasound amps, I'll be home free. Somehow I have to put a gain limiter in the mix.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #5,409 of 5,414
I did pull the outer case off. The unit runs too hot, and I'm not too sure about OPPO's roll-your-own capacitors. They could be the best ever made, OPPO makes high quality stuff. My plan is to make some kind of custom case, with the big transformer mounted on the outside. Maybe someday. I won't be making any internal mods, I've learned from my past mistakes. Getting the case off was a task in itself.

Attachments

• DSC00938.JPG
    DSC00938.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #5,410 of 5,414
I did pull the outer case off. The unit runs too hot, and I'm not too sure about OPPO's roll-your-own capacitors. They could be the best ever made, OPPO makes high quality stuff. My plan is to make some kind of custom case, with the big transformer mounted on the outside. Maybe someday. I won't be making any internal mods, I've learned from my past mistakes. Getting the case off was a task in itself.
I have a fan on top of the grill and pull the hot air out. Works great, it is a 12V fan running at 5 V and not audible. The case just needs a bit of forced airflow and all is good.

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #5,411 of 5,414
I don't suppose anyone knows where I can buy a matching remote for the HA-1? I bought mine second hand and it didn't come with one.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #5,412 of 5,414
My HA-1 still runs flawlessly but does not get much use....Although I wear headphones (either my Air Pod Max or my Cleer Buds) everyday when I walk my dog, I just don't listen to HP's at home much....I'd much rather hear and feel my Speakers...

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #5,413 of 5,414
My HA-1 works well as a Headphone amp. I have HD-6xx, Sundara, and Oppo PM-3 headphones; all with balanced cables.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work as a pre-amp. The pre outputs emit an "open ground" sounding hum. Then I blew out one the RCA outs while trying to configure a dongle to hook the headphone output to my amps. The headphone output works fine to power the cans, put it sends my amps into protection mode, even though I have the pins in the XLR going to the correct connections.

Any thoughts on this ? Why won't the headphone out work as a pre-amp ? Others claim to do this with no problem.

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #5,414 of 5,414
Well, it looks like it’s not the power strip. I left it plugged directly into the wall, and sure enough, the screen begins to flicker after a few minutes. Turning it off and on again corrects it for a little while, then back to flickering.

Do I have any choice other than spending the money on an out of warranty repair with Oppo?
I'm aware this is many years later, but did you ever find a fix for the screen on your HA-1? I'm getting some bad flickering/ghosting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back