opinons on power conditioners and regenerators ?
Feb 28, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #197 of 208
my business does variable frequency drives for industrial applications...digital tech has made these much cheaper and reliable recently....but if you run them off a generator they loose their minds...very hard to maintain stable 60hz (canada)line...so i would be leary of running fancy electronics off them.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #199 of 208
I will be sure the ups is better than that old gen belching smoke.
If voltage from a generator is destroying electronics, then it will also destroy that UPS. Electronics already have the same AC line power supply also found in electronics. And neither are in as much danger as motorized appliances.

Better is to put that UPS on what is at more risk - ie dishwasher, refrigerator, and furnace.

To make robust electronics far more robust than a UPS, replace its power supply with a universal power supply. Same supply that comes standard in portable electronics.

Address a problem by first identifying that problem. UPS is a solution for a problem that was not defined. And now that it is defined, UPS is only another potential victim; not a solution. As made obvious by recommending without citing even one specification number.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #200 of 208
If voltage from a generator is destroying electronics, then it will also destroy that UPS. Electronics already have the same AC line power supply also found in electronics. And neither are in as much danger as motorized appliances.

Better is to put that UPS on what is at more risk - ie dishwasher, refrigerator, and furnace.

To make robust electronics far more robust than a UPS, replace its power supply with a universal power supply. Same supply that comes standard in portable electronics.

Address a problem by first identifying that problem. UPS is a solution for a problem that was not defined. And now that it is defined, UPS is only another potential victim; not a solution. As made obvious by recommending without citing even one specification number.
Its not a voltage problem...the vfd uses the 60hz line frequency as a reference...most generators frequency will fluctuate with changing speeds/loads ect which it corrects quickly....not a problem for most household stuff,as long as 100% stability isn't required.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #201 of 208
Like I said the governor is broken. cant get that one anymore. from the 1950's. well it is time to replace it. not what I wanted to spend 7 figures on but I guess I am lucky I can. you have to understand we are not talking generac. to meet the needs of the farm I am looking at a kohler 80kva basically a small power plant. optioned out it is running 1.7 million. installed. needs helicopter, cranes, excavation for tanks. epa permits. big deal. you see why I band aid what is important to me. good point though wreck the fridge and ac.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #202 of 208
I guess it depends on where you are located. A quick look shows 80kva Diesel units from several manufacturers (Generac included) running $10k - $15k, plus delivery and installation. But perhaps that won't work for you.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #203 of 208
Getting it in. I just mentioned that. I am in the middle of nowhere trucks cannot get up here. Yes I am actually looking at $30k for a very nice unit then a Whopping amount of money to get it in here. Still, the guy's that quoted me 1.7mm I am certainly going to not only revisit that but look elsewhere. I think fair would be about $300,000. Big difference there. Some people just try to rip off and I shot that number out but I might be able to do much better. If I can do it for $300,000 or so I would not have waited this long. I am going with Diesel because I think it is much safer than above ground Propane tanks. I drive it up here on a truck that is sort of a tank, belt drive. Could just chop wood but not at my age. I did not know Generac made units that size. I think they are in fact kohler? this is needed help for our lives not my darn stereo. Thanks guy's.

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #204 of 208
I'm sure it would be hard to get good sound quality on the bottom of the sea floor or in outer space. But those aren't typical.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #206 of 208
The point is that in a normal situation, they are useless. Just plug stuff into your wall.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #207 of 208
If any power conditioner recommendation had validity, then the many relevant specification numbers were cited. Including why each number is relevant. Power conditioners are mostly hyped to the electrically naive; are profit centers.

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #208 of 208
my business does variable frequency drives for industrial applications...digital tech has made these much cheaper and reliable recently....but if you run them off a generator they loose their minds...very hard to maintain stable 60hz (canada)line...so i would be leary of running fancy electronics off them.
Back in the early Carver amp days. Pros would try to power the amps from a generator and of course the generator would lose it's mind. Same type of problem (sort of) when trying to power a big amp with a SMPS from a UPS or generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back