opinons on power conditioners and regenerators ?
Feb 26, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #181 of 208
poor power delivery. mostly on diesel generator. I apologize I did not clarify that. I imagine elsewhere there is ac good enough it shall require nothing. remember some of these things can harm your equipment in isolated cases too.

it was double conversion. obviously it has to convert back to ac hence the double conversion but 100% cleaner than here and as low as 70v high as 180v. no go. wanted to live in the middle of nowhere so there you go.

funny? light bulbs exploding is always nice ahh but now we have led's.
What you have done here is to take your specific unique situation and attempt to apply it universally. Your situation of getting your power from a rather poor Diesel generator is perhaps one of the most unique situations in the world of audio. Diesel generators are not always so badly regulated, I have hands-on with several that performed pretty much as if the were commercial power. If mine had 70v-180V and was blowing up lightbulbs, I'd be actively pursuing a remedy to that before applying an expensive band-aid.

Most of the audio community has power clean enough that conditioning of any kind makes zero difference, but most of the community also has no idea of the actual quality of their power. Conditioner manufacturers proclaim all power as bad, dirty, surge-laden, degrading your sound and picture and damaging your gear. It's simply not true in most cases, and in the few that do have power issues, most conditioners still do little or nothing. Add to that the fact that the internal power supply of A/V equipment must be designed for the lowest common denominator of power just to work universally for customers, and you have the reality of the situation. The power of marketing suggestion leads consumers to pay for conditioning and then the placebo effect convinces them there's a difference.

You've inappropriately applied a highly unique set of circumstances to the rest of the universe.

It would have been if my specific questions had been answered, but not caring much now.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #182 of 208
1F.jpg
1NF.jpg

AC Filter and not filter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180226-215922.jpg
    Screenshot_20180226-215922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #183 of 208
AC Filter and not filter
AC line filter is required in all properly designed electronics by numerous regulations and standards - even by the FCC. But 'forgetting' to include that AC filter is common when a business school graduates redesign to increase profits. If it does not have an AC filter, someone purchased using price; not specifications. Then must spend massively on magic boxes to cure that missing $5 function.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #184 of 208
I need a fancy power line dry cleaner because this is how I get my power on the island!

agqFU-1456338742-2059-list_items-telegraph.gif

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #185 of 208
giphy.gif

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #186 of 208
AC line filter is required in all properly designed electronics by numerous regulations and standards - even by the FCC. But 'forgetting' to include that AC filter is common when a business school graduates redesign to increase profits. If it does not have an AC filter, someone purchased using price; not specifications. Then must spend massively on magic boxes to cure that missing $5 function.
Not correct. AC power inlet/entry filters are not specifically required by the FCC on any device. All devices must meet interference requirements outlined in CFR-47, Part 15. Some designs must include AC power filters to meet Part 15, some far more than that, and some, actually many, none at all. Part 15 is concerned with intentional (transmitting devices operating under Part 15) and unintentional RF radiation from all devices, and the resulting interference to RF services, typically (but not limited to) broadcast radio and TV. All devices must be compliant, but AC filtering is not mandated. Millions of devices powered by wall blob power supplies don't have them, but the wall blob must not radiate above Part 15 limits either.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #187 of 208
I can't believe people can come up with so many words discussing a non issue. If someone has solved all the problems larger than "clean power", then their job is done. They should be listening to music, not trying to think of another kind of esoteric and useless piece of equipment to buy. Just plug the stuff in the wall and listen to music.
+1

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #189 of 208
Other than my situation almost all very high end manufacturers state to plug directly into the wall. Companies are in business to sell power protection. So of course to them it is something worthwhile. A lot of this stuff is noisier than the wall in urban areas. I know this too.

Honda generators are too small for my needs. To get like a 50kva kohler is not interesting me much. I will be but putting it off.

It depends on the ups though honestly. Perhaps not what you guy's are used to. look at apc infrastructure models. They have mission critical specs. Better power? I am not really sure. Hardly worth it. Good equipment is designed to tolerate some noise.

Feb 27, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #191 of 208
A lot of this stuff is noisier than the wall in urban areas. I know this too.
Depends on what is meant by "this stuff", and the specific urban power. Not sure that's really a meaningful statement.
Honda generators are too small for my needs. To get like a 50kva kohler is not interesting me much. I will be but putting it off.
Sure, the Honda stuff wouldn't work, but there are lots of alternatives from Generac, et al. Have you checked the surplus market? Deals are to be had....

I would guess the alternative power ideas have been investigated...wind in particular...rejected for initial cost? I haven't run the numbers but if you're out far enough, the cost of petroleum or CNG might offset wind. Yet to see practical solar electricity, ok for heat.
It depends on the ups though honestly. Perhaps not what you guy's are used to. look at apc infrastructure models. They have mission critical specs. Better power? I am not really sure. Hardly worth it. Good equipment is designed to tolerate some noise.
"Better" is relative and implies a reference. For most, the reference is unknown, assumed bad but probably just fine. Most conditioners are sold to buyers with no real need. Money would be better spent on an improved ground system, as earth grounds are all presumed good but all degrade over time.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #192 of 208
Replace a word 'Honda' with so many other responsible companies. That was the point. The word Honda represents all generators (large and small) that are properly designed. Your generator is apparently so bad that is remains a most expensive mistake.

If a UPS is 'cleaning' power, then what is inside properly designed appliances has already does that same or better. Properly designed electronics even make 'dirty' UPS power irrelevant.

No magic box solution exists. Only myths and lies claim a UPS does all these magic functions. A lie is a claim missing always required spec number that says why. A UPS provides temporary and 'dirty' power so that unsaved data can be saved - as previously defined by numbers. It does nothing to protect hardware. Cleaning power is unnecessary IF an electronic device contains minimally standard functions.

One standard function that must exist is an AC filter. Code means a designer has no alternative but to always include that AC filter. That makes reality simple. An AC filter is required and already found in properly designed electronics. It exists because it is necessary - and essential to meet what codes demand.

A 120 volt generator rising to 180 volts is only solved by one solution - scrap the crap. Even though purchased electronics could have universal supplies, still, other less robust appliances (ie motorized) need a properly functioning generator. No magic box will solve that generator's defect.

Wasting money on a magic box power conditioner is essentially asking to be scammed. Conditioner was recommended by many who just know - but never post numbers and forget to first learn some fundamental electrical concepts. Power conditioners are promoted as if one magic box solves all anomalies. Not possible, Does not happen. Cannot exist.

First an anomaly is defined. Then specification numbers select a solution unique to that anomaly.

UPS is temporary and dirty power to protect from data loss due to blackouts. Filters for noise are already inside properly designed electronics. 180 volts on 120 electronics is made irrelevant by a universal supply. 180 volts on 120 volt motorized appliances - a generator must be replaced. Surges are earthed BEFORE entering a building. Each anomaly has a different and unique solution. All previously explained with numbers.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #193 of 208
It is the governor as you could have guessed. cant get the parts. I have means but it was not my favorite thing to spend a few hundred grand on. I specd a wind system with a sales rep and that was going to run 1.5mm. so I just use this until it dies to put off the obvious. I seriously never knew online ups was dirty power. I preached this for years. oops. any good electronics can deal with average power issues. in most areas that are populated you need no power conditioning at all. it is audiophile trickery at it's best.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #194 of 208
Who runs a high end audio system off a gasoline generator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back