[Opinions] The majority of teens and Skullcandy?
Jan 13, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #33 of 82
After watching some reviews on some Skullcandies (Dreaded it), there is one thing people like... LOUDNESS. They all seem to go "It goes very loud", like that isn't bad for your hearing
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #34 of 82
Well if i was to head-out to buy some full sized cans, SK are about the only ones i'd find on sale near-by. There will be the occasional senn, UE and maybe a denon, but 50+ SKs. Clearly the retailors are getting a good return on them.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 82
I see much more of those Bose canal phones around than Skullcandy. Then again though, I'm not really around teens much.

IMO, stock Ibuds look better than Skullcandies so I have no idea why teens buy them.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomiccow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see much more of those Bose canal phones around than Skullcandy. Then again though, I'm not really around teens much.

IMO, stock Ibuds look better than Skullcandies so I have no idea why teens buy them.

they buy them for the "awesome style" skullcandy's have. it seems to be whats "in"

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #38 of 82
Sorry, but I am probably the ONE dissenting vote FOR SkullCandy Earbuds, specifically the "Ink'ed" ones, they sound very good WITH the 3 flange tips!
Of course the tips cost more than the buds do, but who cares?
A LOT of crappy earbuds have the potential to sound good with the right
tips, SkullCandy included. I have more expensive IEM's but use the Ink'ed
ones the most.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after only having experienced crap headphones, and so having no hifi experience, you'd spend your money on a LOD.. WHY!?

I somehow get the feeling many people here buy hifi stuff for pretty much the same reason people are buying these skullcandy's. Correct me if i'm wrong tho..

Oh, no sorry if you didn't understand me. I had bought some Sennhieser 555s in between that and the Lod, didn't post that
tongue_smile.gif

But yea, I got the Lod after the 555s and used them with an Astro Mixamp to improve the sound.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #40 of 82
Skullcandy are "upgrades" to most of them.

I see Bose stuff on the transit more than anything. 2nd I see Shures the most.

I laugh when I see comply makes tips for Skullcandy.

otto

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #41 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I`m a teen (14) and my friend said "oh you have to get some "skullcandys" sadly i did. That day i gave them to some kid on the bus.

That has got to be one of the best stories I ever heard on so many levels.
icon10.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #42 of 82
I'm 20 and I see skullcandies all over my university campus. I've never really found them that good looking and never owned a pair.

However you have to keep in mid the average consumer market. The majority of people have only ever heard the throw in buds they got with their dap and don't see them as sounding bad. Thus anything can be considered an improvement and for many paying more than ~$40 for headphones is absurd. Skullcandies look different than normal headphones in their design and sound marginally better than the throw in buds, so for teenagers its reasonable. Its sad but thats just how things are.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #43 of 82
I think, as far as headphones go, they look good (I'm 17 and two of my friends own a pair except one recently broke partially).
But I know there are better sounding ones out there, so screw it.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #44 of 82
I'll speak up and defend Skullcandy. First of all, it's embarrassing to see intelligent adults(and almost adults) making childish comments about headphones. This one is tame, but there have been other Skullcandy threads that devolved into kindergarten nonsense. One of them even featured the word "retardphones". Let me google that for you And this thread is quickly devolving. "Burn the Heretic"? Over headphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think marketing always wins over quality when you're talking about the average consumer.

Exactly. It's the same reason why Bose are regarded as "the best headphones". It's all about marketing. Whatever gets advertised most, product placement, word of mouth = will be popular.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Karneval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of spending 30 on some Skullcandies, why not buy the Koss Portapro, which is a time tested design that has kept budget audiophiles happy for a long time?

Maybe because they are some of the fugliest 80s throwback phones out there. In my 19 year old opinion, I'd rather wear the gold foil Skullcandy headphones. Young people especially are "image conscious", just look at the media and advertising. Some of the easiest people to reach and persuade. Just think about image and think about some of the phones you've seen. I'm sure there are plenty that would not be worn in public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean? That people only buy good audio gear to show off and be cool?

YES!!! That's just one reason. Either it is out of necessity because the crappy stock ipod buds broke. Or it is because they did research and found out that better headphones exist. Or it is because they want something that looks "cool". Just as the Skullcandy users show off their "bling phones", hi-fi headphone users show off their goods too. There's entire forums devoted to it. Signatures are 25+ lines long with various phones and audio gear. And that's not showing off?

The bottom line is everyone wants "the best". Whether it is actually "the best" or what is perceived to be the best, or what you think is the best or what I think is the best, or what they think is the best. It doesn't matter what is being discussed, what one person thinks is the best, may not be the best to another. Look at this place, even among the "high end" headphones, one person absolutely praises one headphone while another may come along and totally rip it apart.

And to be fair, I have listened to Skullcandy before. I own the Ink'd buds and the Smokin Buds in everyone's favorite Rasta color. For their price($9.99 for Ink'd and around $19 for Smokin Buds), they're not that bad. A huge improvement over the stock ipod buds(but what ISN'T an improvement over those!). Plus you get isolation(which is good for your ears, reducing the need to blast the music). Think of it as a 'gateway drug' to recruit new members
biggrin.gif
! Skullcandy made in-ear noise isolation phones cool. And with the popularity of iPods and the number of ibuds I've heard blasting across rooms, we need it. At least now maybe teens will be walking around in their own world with the music shoved deep into their ears rather than acting like they're broadcasting for the entire world to hear!

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #45 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll speak up and defend Skullcandy. First of all, it's embarrassing to see intelligent adults(and almost adults) making childish comments about headphones. This one is tame, but there have been other Skullcandy threads that devolved into kindergarten nonsense. One of them even featured the word "retardphones". Let me google that for you And this thread is quickly devolving. "Burn the Heretic"? Over headphones?

Exactly. It's the same reason why Bose are regarded as "the best headphones". It's all about marketing. Whatever gets advertised most, product placement, word of mouth = will be popular.

Maybe because they are some of the fugliest 80s throwback phones out there. In my 19 year old opinion, I'd rather wear the gold foil Skullcandy headphones. Young people especially are "image conscious", just look at the media and advertising. Some of the easiest people to reach and persuade. Just think about image and think about some of the phones you've seen. I'm sure there are plenty that would not be worn in public.

YES!!! That's just one reason. Either it is out of necessity because the crappy stock ipod buds broke. Or it is because they did research and found out that better headphones exist. Or it is because they want something that looks "cool". Just as the Skullcandy users show off their "bling phones", hi-fi headphone users show off their goods too. There's entire forums devoted to it. Signatures are 25+ lines long with various phones and audio gear. And that's not showing off?

The bottom line is everyone wants "the best". Whether it is actually "the best" or what is perceived to be the best, or what you think is the best or what I think is the best, or what they think is the best. It doesn't matter what is being discussed, what one person thinks is the best, may not be the best to another. Look at this place, even among the "high end" headphones, one person absolutely praises one headphone while another may come along and totally rip it apart.

And to be fair, I have listened to Skullcandy before. I own the Ink'd buds and the Smokin Buds in everyone's favorite Rasta color. For their price($9.99 for Ink'd and around $19 for Smokin Buds), they're not that bad. A huge improvement over the stock ipod buds(but what ISN'T an improvement over those!). Plus you get isolation(which is good for your ears, reducing the need to blast the music). Think of it as a 'gateway drug' to recruit new members
biggrin.gif
! Skullcandy made in-ear noise isolation phones cool. And with the popularity of iPods and the number of ibuds I've heard blasting across rooms, we need it. At least now maybe teens will be walking around in their own world with the music shoved deep into their ears rather than acting like they're broadcasting for the entire world to hear!

Just an observation about your post: it seems that you're defending the people who choose Skullcandy, rather than the 'phones themselves.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back