[Opinions] The majority of teens and Skullcandy?
May 9, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #61 of 82
I loved SkullCandy until I visited Head Fi, if course.

May 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #62 of 82
The reason I avoided Skull Candies throughout my high school experience was actually due to their design. I've always thought that the skull logo was tacky and emphasized a "I'm trying too hard to be a G" type of mindset. I suppose I've dodged a bullet there. A good thing since I walked right into the cross hairs of other stupid trends throughout those confusing years. Even had a run-in with vampirism and the emo scene (I suppose they go hand in hand with each other). It makes me shudder whenever I think about it, but hey, I've become quite proficient at repressing my memories as a result.

May 9, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #63 of 82
Maybe it's because I go to a rather wealthy high school, but skullcandy just isn't my style.  Its fitted with all these skulls, I feel like its meant for punksters and skateboarders.

Please, I have some class.

May 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #64 of 82
I never bought a pair of skullcandy headphones.  Never, ever,  I'm 19.  I recently took a pair from my friend to see what they sounded like.  The Dubs I think they were.  I'm debating on whether or not they should be burned for the torture they have caused...

May 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #65 of 82
I haven't been a teenager in a couple of decades, but I have to admit I actually like the looks of SOME of their stuff. 

As for why teens would like them, well:
Some aren't exposed to better, but they also might not know the difference.
They have massive market penetration.  You can find them everywhere, Best Buy, Staples, small record stores. 
Which leads to Grouping Behavior.  How can everyone else be wrong?

And finally, some folks don't listen to music for detail, they listen for how it makes them FEEL.  Some folks actually care more about the lyrics or the image the entertainer portrays than how crisp the snare sounds...

May 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #66 of 82

Quote:
I haven't been a teenager in a couple of decades, but I have to admit I actually like the looks of SOME of their stuff. 

As for why teens would like them, well:
Some aren't exposed to better, but they also might not know the difference.
They have massive market penetration.  You can find them everywhere, Best Buy, Staples, small record stores. 
Which leads to Grouping Behavior.  How can everyone else be wrong?

And finally, some folks don't listen to music for detail, they listen for how it makes them FEEL.  Some folks actually care more about the lyrics or the image the entertainer portrays than how crisp the snare sounds...

I'll agree with the design, they are attractive.  It is true that people do buy things to fit in.  So the group behavior does make sense.

However, I can't say the same with the way Skullcandy headphones makes you feel.  I know people listen to it for that soul purpose (otherwise, music wouldn't take you anywhere), I even do it for that reason.  That's when fun headphones come in.  They sound good, and are just fun to listen to.  The crispness of the snare drum can entail new feelings that they have never heard or felt before.  Lyrics are really nice when you can hear them without being overblown with bass.  If you find a pair of headphones that makes you want to jump up and down and bob your head to the beat, it'll always be better than any pair of Skullcandy headphones, or Beats...  Everyone can enjoy good quality, especially when some fun is added in.  They just haven't given it a shot...  Just my 2 cents.

May 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #67 of 82
I'm 17 and I avoided them initially because of the looks (I like minimal / clean design). When I got curious abouth their sound I started to test them (skullcandy hesh and some IEM) and I didnt know how to describe it at the time but I disliked it a lot. I started researching about them online and found out that most people (on head-fi) shared my opinion too

May 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #68 of 82
i was going to get some skullcandy hesh, because i thought they were good, and they looked nice, but i got some sennheiser HD238 for the same price, and then, i joined head-fi. Since then my wallet has suffered a little blow, something like 160 euros...(soon to be more, ouch!) When will head-fi stop attacking my wallet!
The only skullcandy i have tried are my mums smokin buds, and i hate them, they are uncomfortable and sound bad.

May 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #69 of 82
i was going to get some skullcandy hesh, because i thought they were good, and they looked nice, but i got some sennheiser HD238 for the same price, and then, i joined head-fi. Since then my wallet has suffered a little blow, something like 160 euros...(soon to be more, ouch!) When will head-fi stop attacking my wallet!
The only skullcandy i have tried are my mums smokin buds, and i hate them, they are uncomfortable and sound bad.

May 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #75 of 82
Its because they are mostly cheap, look good and have good marketing.

Teens arent going to go online and look at the best sounding headphones. We dont care about frequency response and how bright the highs are. We arent going to bother going online to order a pair of headphones to go with our ipods..

They have the best marketing too. In every store that sells some kind of electronic you will see skullcandy. So we go for them because they are easy to access. I personally dont like ordering things online because I dont want to wait. We dont want to wait 3 to 4 days for an expensive headphone that we will probably loose in a few years.

The truth is, they work. Skullcandy headphones move sound from our ipods to our ears. nuff said. We dont have the money for expensive IEMS or fancy rig set-ups, nor do we care..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back