Opinions on Ultrasone Headphones...?
Aug 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 123

Enigma3

New Head-Fier
Hi again;
I am going to invest in a pair of Ultrasone PRO-550 Headphones but before I do I would love to know what you guys who have tried Ultrasone have to say about ULTRASONE.

Looking forward to getting many responses.

Wanna get as much feedback as possible before I make my purchase.

beyersmile.png
L3000.gif
o2smile.gif

Thx in advance
L3000.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 123
Why just Ultrasone users? That won't really give you an objective general picture, since they own them for a reason.

I used to own a pair of HFI-650s. Good frequency extension, and fantastic movie cans, but uncomfortable as all get-out (yes, even with the Beyer velour pads and DIY headband pad) and too sterile to be used for music purposes.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 123
I have the HFI-780, PRO 750, and PRO 900.

All sound good in their own way, and seem to be built like tanks.

Thecenter headband bump/pad does tend to press on the top of my head and sometimes irritate me after 2-3 hours or so of listening, but re-adjusting them helps somewhat.

When it gets to be too much, I can switch cans; howver, I rarely get more than 2-3 hours listening at a time anyway, so it's a moot point.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 123
Just owners? I've listened to several models at meets. While I don't hate them, I didn't see any reason to buy a pair over other headphones I liked better. If you've compared them to other similarly priced models and prefer the Ultrasones, go ahead and get a pair. But they don't do it for me.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 123
I owned the PROline 2500 and currently own the HFI-780. Both sound superb and IMO much better than the likes of Senn HD580/600/650. The Ultrasones required a good amount of burn in and in the case of the HFI-780 a re-cable.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 123
The HFI-680s are uncomfortable at times with glasses but I have Beyer DT-250 pads on the way to remedy that. Bass extension is deep and punchy without overshadowing the mids. The highs have a bit of a harsh edge compared to my Senn 595s and vocals are more forward, but it's clear that they're closed phones.

FYI the 680 and the 780s are more or less the same, with the 780s receiving a bass boost. I haven't heard the 780s but I don't think I'd like any more bass than what's provided with what I have.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 123
The few Ultrasones I've heard seem to have the same house sound. I'm guessing it's the s-logic thing. I think the Pro2500 is similar to the HD650 but with less detail and more bass.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 123
I have the Pro900 and they are as good as it gets IMO. I have also owned the Proline550, very good headphones at the price point, they do have a bass focus though, so if you are more treble orientated look else where. As for the comfort issues, that is subjective, I don't have any problem at all for long listening sessions (and I have owned DT880, AD900 K601) which are all considered "comfortable" by many others. Ultrasones Proline550 hava a unique sound signature which you may or may not like. As with all headphones it is hard to go just on others peoples recommendation (if you haven't heard them at all) as no matter how many people tell you they are great (or otherwise) you may still not like them.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 123
Owned the 750 and now the 900. 750 was already good but the Pro 900 is really the best headphone I ever heard after KeeS modding them.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 123
I have the PRO 900s. It really depends on what sort of sound signature you want, and what sort of music you listen to. For instance, when it comes to Dance music, they are exceptionally good. But for rock and metal, i'd rather listen to my SR225i's as the guitar doesn't come through so well on the PRO900s. They're great for drums though.

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 123
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

@ Kernmac

I am a bass lover that I must admit but I am not a "bass-head". I like the bass to work with the music not completely overpower it after all you need good levels of both bass and treble for a song to sound good rite....
bigsmile_face.gif

@Krackatus

I am into New Age and Indian Instrumental music as well as artists like Enigma and Loreena McKennitt. One thing is for sure, to me these genres require powerful bass and clear highs in order to sound great.

One thing I must mention though my ONLY use for headphones are on my computer speakers. I am not into the professional aspect of music nor do I desire to purchase an amp however I do need above average quality sound when listening to my music.

I am a kind of guy that cannot get through a day without listening to at least an hour of music as weird as that may sound....
L3000.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 123
I've got HFI-780s and HFI-550s. Love them. Great overall sound, with amazing bass, both in quality and quantity.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing I must mention though my ONLY use for headphones are on my computer speakers. I am not into the professional aspect of music nor do I desire to purchase an amp however I do need above average quality sound when listening to my music.

I am a kind of guy that cannot get through a day without listening to at least an hour of music as weird as that may sound....
L3000.gif

And so it begins. I'll bet you'll have an amp within a year. Just like the rest of us non-pros.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back