Opinions: Best headphone under 1000$
Jul 22, 2019 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Chapekja

New Head-Fier
On the market for a headphone under $1000, done a lot of research but curious what some of you guys/gals would recommend. For added info I currently have modded M1060C's (open) as my primary headphone and love the extension into the bass/sub-bass bass, but would like a pair of cans with more linear mids and better highs as well.. hopefully this helps guide some suggestions.

You can include used headphones that would fall into this price range.

Personally I was thinking something like a used ZMF Aeolus.

Jul 22, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 22
Check out Massdrop.

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 22
In my personal listening experience, the Focal Elex and Hifiman Ananda may be the sound signature you're looking for. Though, I would recommend waiting it out and saving up and getting the Arya. Totally worth it because they're just on such another level than headphones in the price range you're currently looking for.

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Audeze LCD-2’s hands down. Lovely but dead on accurate like Games of Thrones mixed with wasabi.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 22
I'll be honest, I have a pair of Aeolus and if you love planar bass, you will be dissappointed; if you are expecting them to be the same. I really enjoy my Aeolus, but they will not replace my HE-500 or LCD-2c.

So, do you want better planar bass or different but also great bass? And if you are after mids with great planar bass, I'd say HE-500. You can pick up a used pair around $400 now.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 22
@Chapekja, Seems like you would probably like the Fostex TH500RP. It has decent sub-bass, great mid's and clear, detailed high frequencies. I have not heard any other planars in the $700 - $1,000 price category but from what i've read, the TH500RP is very much competent even though it can be had nowadays for less than $500.
Or if you want a more amp friendly, practical and portable headphone, I would recommend the B&W P9 Signature. I consider the P9 Signature to be more like speakers than headphones..the soundstage and imaging is unlike any other headphone I have ever heard. It has a warm sound signature but with equally clear, detailed high frequencies to create a somewhat neutral balance.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 22
Personally, I've not heard a headphone in the sub-$1000 price point better than the Hifiman HE-500. They go toe-to-toe with my Sony MDR-Z1R, and come out ahead with a decent amount of music.

I would describe them as a neutral headphone, with a gentle rise in the bass. From the high bass all the way through the mids, to the treble, they're basically perfectly flat. No crazy treble bumps or dips, just a smooth, coherent sound. Bass picks up power the lower it goes, but not to a really exaggerated degree. It strikes a superb balanced between being accurate and energetic.

I had the Audeze LCD-2C for a time and felt these ran circles around them.

Jul 23, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for all the great info, I have heard the hifiman he-500s and liked them but they were heavy beasts.

Call it fate, but I was actually looking at the arya before the second post in this thread. I was able to get a gently used (~6hour) pair for 1050 which I think is a very reasonable price.

Keep posting other opinions of the best valued headphone under 1,000 as I love to hear the opinions

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 22
+1 on the HiFiMan HE-500, one of the all time greats and on par with any new sub $1000 models. I really enjoy mine, bought and sold then bought another pair and have been happy since... Until the HE6se landed

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 22
Check out the HiFiman HE400i. Hard to beat at its price point.

The topic is under $1k, the 400i is a 3rd tier headphone from a 1st tier maker, maybe as a third can....

for one can: used focal clear, used mrspeakers E1.1; HFM Arya used (still over $1k probably) - but these are not great

the 750-1000 equipment - HFM Ananda, both Aeon's, Audeze 2C's - nah, too bright, image too small, and finally, ridiculously uneven freq response

Consider two or three cans: HE-500 used (with at least fuzzor mod) for $375, then a can that's different: MD Edition XX (new) HFM HEX v2 used; Senn HD-600/660;

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 22
The topic is under $1k, the 400i is a 3rd tier headphone from a 1st tier maker, maybe as a third can....

for one can: used focal clear, used mrspeakers E1.1; HFM Arya used (still over $1k probably) - but these are not great

the 750-1000 equipment - HFM Ananda, both Aeon's, Audeze 2C's - nah, too bright, image too small, and finally, ridiculously uneven freq response

Consider two or three cans: HE-500 used (with at least fuzzor mod) for $375, then a can that's different: MD Edition XX (new) HFM HEX v2 used; Senn HD-600/660;

Man you love Hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back