Opinions are like .......
Jan 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Drag0n

Headphoneus Supremus
For the heck of it.....BOREDOM, i did a search on some old speakers i have laying around made for RadioShack by Linaeum.

So i found Linaeum's website. I guess maybe theyre out of biz, because all i see is three websites they refer to for information

One they say to check out is HeadFi.....but say theyre (we're) mostly B.S.

LINAEUM

I guess being theyre out of biz, they musta been full of B.S.

Oh, i also posted this out of boredom too...lol.

icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 28
"Linaeum.com is not affiliated with Linaeum of Portland, the Linaeum LINESOURCE tweeter, etc.."

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 28
Drag0n, These were some great sounding monitors from RadioShack by Linaeum. I had a buddy who used 300b mono blocks to drive them!! This was after many yrs. owning some of the "Top Shelf" speakers available during his time, and let me tell you he had everything!!! Do you still have them???? if so good for you. Revolink24, is correct with his info.....

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drag0n, These were some great sounding monitors from RadioShack by Linaeum. I had a buddy who used 300b mono blocks to drive them!! This was after many yrs. owning some of the "Top Shelf" speakers available during his time, and let me tell you he had everything!!! Do you still have them???? if so good for you. Revolink24, is correct with his info.....

I have 4 LX5ll and the centre speaker and a sub for my 5.1 theatre.
They sound good. I wish the woofers werent foam surround. When they rot out, i may either refoam them with rubber, or upgrade the woofers entirely and maybe the crossovers.
The tweeters are cool, and the box is extruded aluminum....very solid and non-resonant, so i dont want to lose those!
Stereophile rated them in the Recomended Componants Issue as a Class E speaker, which meant Entry Level. So basically theyre ok. Nothing like an Epos els3 , or anything from Polk,PSB,Paradigm,B&W,NHT, etc, for the same price, which was $149.99 each speaker, but i got them cheap as dirt.
I think i paid like $25 per speaker for the RSA branded pair and centre, and $50 for the Optimus ones new on clearance, if i remember correctly.

Theyre mint condition,so.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 28
DRAG0N...Great news you're still enjoying them.... I bet if you replace the mid/bass driver after the foam surround finally pukes out with some rubber surround ones from parts express or madisound (seas or usher drivers) and stuff good fiber inside the cabinets you'll be downtown again.....Check the original X-over and change maybe to some upgraded parts and I'd take those over a pr. of polks and the others you mentioned above anyday....good luck....

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 28
its the tweeters, not the speakers that have gained a following over time. i think theyre collectible

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there is a fair bit of B.S. around here.

[size=xx-large]
x2
[/size]

More than a fair bit, in fact, I'd say they're probably correct when they say its mostly B.S.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 28
They were probably full of B.S themselves since they did not manage to stay in business.
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 28
Nobodys forcing anyone to stay here and put up with the BS.
It makes it interesting. If you dont have some BS once in awhile, youll never know what is good. You can always go to the "other" forum and curse at eachother and be negative.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DRAG0N...Great news you're still enjoying them.... I bet if you replace the mid/bass driver after the foam surround finally pukes out with some rubber surround ones from parts express or madisound (seas or usher drivers) and stuff good fiber inside the cabinets you'll be downtown again.....Check the original X-over and change maybe to some upgraded parts and I'd take those over a pr. of polks and the others you mentioned above anyday....good luck....

Yes im still enjoying them, theyre in great condition. I also have the ones that have that ribbon in the front facing forward instead of on the top, and i have the old Minimus7w also. The Minimus 7w just needs a crossover mod and it becomes a highend speaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its the tweeters, not the speakers that have gained a following over time. i think theyre collectible

Yes its that companies tweeters that made them special. The tweeter in the RadioShack models isnt quite as good as Linaeums own speakers, but theyre close and collectible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back