Opera Fans...
May 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 33
I am somewhat of an opera fan, although I listen almost exclusively to baroque operas (Purcell's semi-operas, Handel's oratorios and operas, Lully, Bach's oratorios, etc.), with some classical (pretty much only Mozart) mixed in.  Not so much for more modern stuff, although Verdi is pretty good. :)

Headphone-wise, I think the RS1 is the best I've heard because the vocals are so up front and intimate.  Headphones with a big soundstage, like the 702, can get a little bit fatiguing for me.

May 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 33
I've been listening to all genres of classical music, including opera (and lieder), with great pleasure on my Grado SR80 for nearly a decade. The forward Grado midrange flatters female and tenor voices in a really enjoyable way. Live opera recordings are especially nice because despite the relatively small size of the Grado soundstage (and really with properly worn bowl pads it's not as constricted as a lot of people say), the imaging is precise and stable so you get a clear idea of where the singers are on the stage. Their clarity also works well to cut through the murk with historical mono recordings.

I also liked my recently sold DT990 quite well except they were ultimately a little too bassy for my taste. I expect to acquire either a K701 or a DT880 one of these months and I feel confident either of them will sound very good on opera recordings. But I don't think I'll ever part with my Grado; there's something special about it that's more than the sum of its technical capabilities..

May 7, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 33
OK... so it's late, I'm scanning this forum and thread, listening to some HIFV Biber. I thought it was an all-instrumental mix (shuffle of ALAC files on my iPod through my Outlaw), and suddenly there were vocals and I almost jumped out of my skin!
eek.gif

Wow... that was a bit eerily realistic. So I thought I'd contribute here. I've got on my DT880/600. Outstanding, stunning realism and detail.
I can't get enough of these cans!
atsmile.gif

shane

May 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 33
You know, I have never really listened to Opera on headphones.  For some reason, there is no recording that captures the same experience of hearing it live, but then again I'm spoiled by going to the Metropolitan Opera quite regularly.

I am a big fan of Anna Netrebko ever since I saw her perform in Don Pasquale.

As cliche as it is, my favorite opera is still La Traviata.  It was the first opera piece that was very powerful to me.  Also a  big fan of Puccini.  I love how Turandot can be so different especially if people are ambitious enough to add their own ending to Puccini's unfinished work.

Though I might not mind so much for most music, I'm going to need to invest in a proper home amp and source before I think I'm willing to listen to opera.  I've been to very badly put together operas and have snored through them, so it'd be nice if I can get a proper setup and get my opera groove on.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 33
Just the other night, I listened to "La Fanciulla del West" by Puccini for that production's opening night at the Met via XMRadio.  I used my Grado 325is with G-Cushions and it sounded real good in spite of the gain riding that comes with satellite radio.  The perspective almost puts you on stage with the performers.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Just the other night, I listened to "La Fanciulla del West" by Puccini for that production's opening night at the Met via XMRadio.  I used my Grado 325is with G-Cushions and it sounded real good in spite of the gain riding that comes with satellite radio.  The perspective almost puts you on stage with the performers.

you have a very important point there. in really feel the music is a more important than the gear. 192/24 is just an tool we use to deliver the music.  "La Fanciulla del West" is arguably a Romantic opera's classic in Verisimo style. I would listen to it even if it is from a scratchy radio signal.

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
Quote:

you have a very important point there. in really feel the music is a more important than the gear. 192/24 is just an tool we use to deliver the music.  "La Fanciulla del West" is arguably a Romantic opera's classic in Verisimo style. I would listen to it even if it is from a scratchy radio signal.

Absolutely!  It became my favorite opera many years ago.  Later, I got to do a (very) small part in it.  1/8/2011 is the HD broadcast from the Met.  Hope you get to see and hear it.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely!  It became my favorite opera many years ago.  Later, I got to do a (very) small part in it.  1/8/2011 is the HD broadcast from the Met.  Hope you get to see and hear it.

oh cool!
I dont know much about the Met. how do I get to listen to it?
I have too many favorite operas to mention one but by puccini alone I like "La boheme" "Turandot" "La Fanciulla del West" "Madame Butterfly" and "Tosca" with Turandot being my favorite. Although I would listen to Puccini any day, I sometimes feel like his works are a little short of a "literary classic" if you will. some of the arias are more of a musical than opera.
that being said I can not deny the fact that he is one of the forefronts of Verismo Opera, and his melodies have shattering expressivenes, living the soul of late romantic opera (exotic landscapes and characters)

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 33
My favorite soprano is Natalie Dessay—she sounds amazing through the Sennheiser HD650.  I used to use the AKG K702 when listening to opera, but stopped because she and Elīna Garanča both sound a bit shrill through them.  I agree with Region2, as I too am spoiled by the Met, but when opera season is over good headphones and speakers are the next best thing.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 33

Mine would be Tony
biggrin.gif
.... JK Cheers
Quote:
My favorite soprano is Natalie Dessay—she sounds amazing through the Sennheiser HD650.  I used to use the AKG K702 when listening to opera, but stopped because she and Elīna Garanča both sound a bit shrill through them.  I agree with Region2, as I too am spoiled by the Met, but when opera season is over good headphones and speakers are the next best thing.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 33
I too love Natalie Dessay.  She's amazing, particularly live.  I enjoy Angela Gheorghiu as well, particularly the younger one.  Anna Netrebko is fine, I find her technique a bit on the weak side.  Perhaps she improved since La Traviata, I don't know.  I keep missing her performances when she comes around my area.  Each have their own shining points, of course.

I agree, nothing matches a live performance.  It's so much more in person.  There's more than one sense being stimulated there.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 33
siriusxmradio will get you the Met 24 hours a day.  Google, then, subscribe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back