Opening Olympics Ceremony Fireworks were fake!!!
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

flashnolan

500+ Head-Fier
I heard on an NPR news report this morning that the awesome firework display during the opening ceremony was just computer animation - at least for its TV viewers. Apparently at the real ceremony there were some real fireworks, but for everyone that viewed it on TV they watched computer generated fireworks. A team of Chinese computer animators worked for over a year making them look just right. They even added in fake camera shakes to make it feel like it was being shot live from a helicopter.

NBC was aware of the fake fireworks, but took the standpoint that they were just broadcasting whatever came from Beijing. The NBC announcer even mentioned at times that it looked like an animation. It was infact an animation.

Anyone else feel a little cheapened?

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 72
I saw this story on British news a day or two ago. I had assumed it had only become an issue because we in Britain have had several recent scandals involving faked television issues, (phone-ins, competitions etc.).

Frankly, it's a non-entity this story. They put on a show, and it was a very good show. How in any way is that cheapened?

EDIT: Same with this "story". (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7556058.stm) They put on a show...

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this story on British news a day or two ago. I had assumed it had only become an issue because we in Britain have had several recent scandals involving faked television issues, (phone-ins, competitions etc.).

Frankly, it's a non-entity this story. They put on a show, and it was a very good show. How in any way is that cheapened?

EDIT: Same with this "story". (BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | China Olympic ceremony star mimed) They put on a show...

I don't like to find out something like this in the news after the fact. They could have been more forthright during the fact.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 72
Hmm very weird country. Some DJ's were told to translate all their music into Chinese before they could play there. Also, there are small vehicles that people are restricted to be in when they want to go somewhere else (at the stadium?). I still don't know the reason but it's probably because they don't like other people sniffing around..

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 72
Aug 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 72
That's BS. You need to install some filter between your ears and brain. My buddies saw those fireworks in reality, than on tv replay. They're saying it's just impossible to reproduce all that beauty on TV screen.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 72
From what I heard, only the footsteps were computer animations untill they reached the stadium, and there they turned to real ones. Even the commentators said it when they were shown on TV. Others were very real.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 72
This is a completely staged event which doesn’t reflect any truth. It’s amazing what can be achieved when a country puts everything aside for their 5 minutes of fame. The weather, the environment, the air quality- everything is staged. Like a Hollywood set beautiful on the front but in reality just a flimsy artificial contrivance from behind.

Mitch

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a completely staged event which doesn’t reflect any truth. It’s amazing what can be achieved when a country puts everything aside for their 5 minutes of fame. The weather, the environment, the air quality- everything is staged. Like a Hollywood set beautiful on the front but in reality just a flimsy artificial contrivance from behind.

Mitch

What a sour comment.

If anything else, putting on a 300M show with no sweat from China has really shown that China is anything but flimsy. 300M to the Chinese government is literally like a drop in the bucket, and I would venture to say that the U.S. tax payers probably flipped a great deal portion of that 300M.

Racial inequality, social injustice, failed immigration policy, stagnate economy, and the war in Iraq, we should fix our own country before we start criticizing others.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 72
Wonder why I am not surprised! Hmmm...
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 72
I know that this is suppose dto be China's big "comming out" party and their attempt to improve their image.

Well, I say that these olympics have actually made my image of china WORSE.
It has to do with the conduct towards their own countrymen. The "20" year old head of the chinese women's gymnastics team who begged her family and her government to stop doing gymnastics (it had become painful). The other shame is the faking of the ages of these girls.

The faking if the singer, which looked very fake BTW if you watched it, is disgraceful. The over the top security of teh olympians not from teh chinese people, but from snooping. The limited accesses and such. It just speaks poorly for the nation. I know why there are many chinese people in America and other western counties...even many other asian countries as well.....

China is beautiful and cultural, the people seem genuine. It is the government with the iron fist that will do anything to look sucessful which dishonors them and in turn the country. When everyone knows that it is fake, what is the point in trying it anyway?

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that this is suppose dto be China's big "comming out" party and their attempt to improve their image.

It has to do with the conduct towards their own countrymen. The "20" year old head of the chinese women's gymnastics team who begged her family and her government to stop doing gymnastics (it had become painful). The other shame is the faking of the ages of these girls.

The faking if the singer, which looked very fake BTW if you watched it, is disgraceful. The over the top security of teh olympians not from teh chinese people, but from snooping. The limited accesses and such. It just speaks poorly for the nation. I know why there are many chinese people in America and other western counties...even many other asian countries as well.....

China is beautiful and cultural, the people seem genuine. It is the government with the iron fist that will do anything to look sucessful which dishonors them and in turn the country. When everyone knows that it is fake, what is the point in trying it anyway?

Careful, that all becomes very political very quickly.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

And you got this information from? How can you make a definitive assertion with just hearsay. Talk about country doing bad things to their citizen, if you ever get some chance, go to your law library and look up American Indian Law (pay attention to the legislative history), I will guarantee you that any bad feelings you may have had toward China will not compare to the shock of looking at the American Indian history.

Quote:

It is the government with the iron fist that will do anything to look sucessful which dishonors . . . .

Yes I agree with you the 1 party system sucks (but is 2 party system any better?), and the law is neither well-respected nor well developed. However considering it has been less than 100 years from the last emperor, I say China has come a long way, and quite expedient as well; let's not forget the Supreme Court Justice was only a part time job back in the 1800s (Attorney General also worked part time); the state officials would violate the court decision on purpose and laugh at the Supreme Court for their lack of power. Surely things have changed over the last 200 years and I expect China to do the same.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back