Opening Olympics Ceremony Fireworks were fake!!!
Aug 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if you made love a woman, only to find out afterwards she was post-op?

As long as you were entertained.....
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #32 of 72
I haven't watched one second of the Olympics. The last Olympics that I paid attention to were the 76 Montreal games. I want to watch the event, not half an hour of common interest crap followed by 2 minutes of the actual event.

2008 Olympics = 1936 Olympics ?

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if you made love a woman, only to find out afterwards she was post-op?

Depends on how good the love was.
biggrin.gif

although I dont think its as dramatic as that. its more like, finding out the girl you made love to has fake boobs. not really a problem.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #34 of 72
The Opening Ceremony was amazing and who cares if it was fake, its entertainment and as long as the athletes are not fake thats all that matters. Look at the positive this event, its one of the only events that exist where the entire world comes together where the situation is not life threatening. Enjoy the Olympics and cheer on these great representations of the human race.

cheers,

Izzy

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just learned about the ignore list! what a fantastic thing. my enjoyment of the forum has increased 100 fold!!

If others learn of this feature, then I will cease to be!

The fireworks thing didn't bother me personally, but I can see how people are pissed over the singer bit. It shows how much looks matter over substance, nowadays.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #39 of 72

do I smell sour grape?
wink.gif

China is rising, like it or not, a BIG TIME. They are getting more rich and power by the minute.

In today's economic climate, that's almost blasphemy. How dare you, China, be doing so good, in some areas better than we do??? Let's nick picking some 'dark side' from China to get the score even!!!

After some hard work ...

The conclusion: YES! we are perfect people and live in a perfect nation/society.
beerchug.gif

Great! let's go get some beer and celebrate!

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

China is rising, like it or not, a BIG TIME. They are getting more rich and power by the minute.
In today's economic climate, that's almost blasphemy. How dare you, China, be doing so good, in some areas better than we do???

Since this thread is doom anyway...
tongue.gif

When you're an economic icon like the US is it so unfair from them to ask it's immediate competition to fight with at least *similar* rules?

Amicalement

*similar*: meaning that it must be allowed, in all fairness, some space for an emerging country.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you're an economic icon like the US is it so unfair from them to ask it's immediate competition to fight with at least *similar* rules?

Amicalement

*similar*: meaning that it must be allowed, in all fairness, some space for an emerging country.

absolutely. but who made those 'rules'?

I remember some years back, Singapore lynched an American teenager for vandalizing some cars. Certainly not played by the 'rules' of the US. This time, China refused to allow several people in, has somehow tight security that is 'eye sore' for Westerners'. I'd say it makes sense in Chinese's eyes -- or you can do a poll in China and see how many are for this action. Again, China didn't play the 'rules' that we like. But have we ever played any 'rules' set by China? ... I'd say all the airport "security" B.S. after 9/11, snooby arrogant, "I'm God, you are trash" airport security guards are MUCH worse than anything done by the Chinese in Olympics! But hey, this is USA, you do whatever you feel right.

I've been watching NBC Olympics a lot these few days and I am extremely impressed by and gracious to China in general -- all the spanking new facilities are bar none the best in the world; the manpower organization is mind bugling and the 'service' from the staff are the MOST friendly and accommodating I've seen from such big sport events; the list goes on and on.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

absolutely. but who made those 'rules'?

Few years back my Law Faculty had the challeging task of educating some chinese jurists about our occidental legal system. The program was built with the specific intent of trying to initiate chinese judges to the ''way it works here''. I'm not sure about the benefits of the other way around...
wink.gif

Quote:

But have we ever played any 'rules' set by China?

You must be kidding. I'll show you one exemple of the impact of having no rules in the environment field:

chine_barrage_3_gorges.jpg

Their economical ''winning strategy'' will someday haunt them. Would you realy live in a country with so little protection for their population?

Amicalement

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their economical ''winning strategy'' will someday haunt them. Would you realy live in a country with so little protection for their population?

Amicalement

I won't be apologetic about China's environmental problems, but fact is, things are getting better because as people get richer, they start to care about things like environment. Even if they cannot exert direct control via voting, the government doesn't turn a blind eye to such demands - both out of fear and because, yes, they genuinely care about the well-being of the people. Shanghai's environment is better than it was 10 years ago and Beijing seems to have passed the worst as well although I'm not sure if that's only due to the Olympics, we'll see. It's laughable that this year's theme is "green Olympics" but that alone shows that people are starting to pay attention to these things. There's is this bell-shaped curve with per head income on the y-axis and environmental protection on the x-axis, which seems to be quite true empirically. As for "rules", China actually has one of the most advanced laws regarding environmental protection; it's just that nobody really seems to follow them, which is one of the problems if you don't have an accountable middle management, i.e. regional and local government. Economic advance is still priority number one in China, but that might (hopefully) change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back