Open, Unamped, Comfortable. DT990/32 vs HFI 2400 vs AD900
Nov 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
If you are very keen on bass then, based on what I've learnt from reading this forum for a while, there are probably other phones more suited to your tastes - especially closed back.  I think what characterises the AD900s is the 'cleanliness',  'purity' and balance of the sound, plus the wide sound stage which clearly separates out each instrument / voice.  Combined with working brilliantly from unamped sources.  And comfort, if you have the right head shape!

x 2.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #17 of 21
Katun - Maybe that sense of mystery is their marketing strategy lol

Pete99 - Yeah, I don't like X-bass either, its just the setting with the most bass, so if its going to distort, its going to do it on x-bass.
There's no way for me to try them out, that's why I try and narrow my choice down with threads like this one.
And, what is the right head shape? I think my head is wider in the back than the front, and I use my ATH-M50s on the smallest headband setting, if that's any clue.

Mr. Spenkelink - That sounds good to me! Looking at the specs, they appear to have similar difficulty to drive, but most people say the DT990/32 improves a lot with an amp. Weird.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
<snip>

Pete99 - <snip>  And, what is the right head shape? I think my head is wider in the back than the front, and I use my ATH-M50s on the smallest headband setting, if that's any clue.

<snip>

It's hard to describe the correct head shape!  However, I would say that the left and right ear phones on the AD900 pivot left and right but not up and down. You therefore have to use the 'wing' mechanism to get the phones positioned on your head and I can see that for some head shapes this may be a problem.  Though probably less impact on sound quality if there is not contact with your head all the way round the pad as they are open-backed anyway (?).

I've seen other postings on this forum which describe mods you can do to address this, if it's an issue.  I understand your concern though - I had the same concern and was therefore determined to try before I bought. From your description of your head you should be OK, given that the ear pieces pivot horizontally (but not vertically).

When the phones are on they feel incredibly light and there is relatively little 'compression' of one's head.  Very comfortable indeed.

HTH.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #20 of 21
I own the AD900s and I am running them from my computer sound card atm. It's a decent sound card, but amplification on sound cards leaves a lot to be desired and I honestly can't imagine you could get anything/much more from amplification. I would recommend the AD900s as some of the best headphones unamped easily from my experience.

Nov 5, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #21 of 21
So this is what I guess my "impressions" are from reading other people's posts.

The AD900s are the easiest to drive, a sure-shot when it comes to using them unamped. But their comfort isn't such a sure thing, some people love it and some people don't. They don't have any bass impact, but the bass frequencies are audible, and the rest of the spectrum is airy and detailed. Gigantic cups.

The DT990/32s are reported to perform fine from a portable source by some, while others find it blasphemous that someone would even consider using them without an amp. Comfort is pretty much guaranteed, bass is most definitely there, and with impact, but sibilance and recessed mids are common issues, especially the 32 ohm version unamped. Velour pads you could get lost in.

The HFI 2400s are a mystery. Ultrasone as a whole has a reputation for great bass, detailed highs, but some think they have a recessed midrange as well. Their sound is loved by some, but is not for everybody. They are pretty comfortable, but kind of clampy. Metal, no-nonsense construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back