Open or Closed headphone + Question
Nov 7, 2005 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jlw

Head-Fier
I make this to a poll becous I want to know how many that are using Closed and Opend headphones...

Why are a closed better then an opend, and vice verca. I have never had closed headphones before so this time I am going to buy an Closed one. And I hope I will be satisfied. :)

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 23
It might be that a lot head-fiers use both; open phones as their basic/everyday phones and closed cans if they do not want to disturb/bother other people...

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 23
Does it tell you anything that most hi-end 'phones are open?

If they weren't better would there actually be a reason to make them?

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 23
Open for home use, closed/IEM's for commuting and to block outside noise. Open headphones are generally far superior to closed.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Does it tell you anything that most hi-end 'phones are open?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritboxer
Open headphones are generally far superior to closed.

Yeah, got to love those open high-end phones like the Sony R10 or Audio-Technica L3000. Oh wait, IIRC those are closed headphones...
rolleyes.gif

It doesn't really matter if a headphone is open or closed from a sonic standpoint. That's a designer choice. You'll find great open headphones, and great closed headphones. I would NOT use open/closed as a sonic reason for selecting a headphone. It's only a consideration in keeping your music from bothering others close by, or isolation. So...

Buy a closed headphone if your situation requires quiet/isolation (and not all closed headphones are equal in this regard). That's the only situation in which this actually matters. It can be crucial, as there are situations where a closed headphone is absolutely necessary to maintain your sanity and that of those around you. However, if this is not a consideration, forget open/closed altogether and just buy a headphone that sounds good to you.

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 23
With the post from Hirsch, pretty much everything has been said.

Great. Another post for the count and I only need to say "Agree with Hirsch".
icon10.gif

EDIT: Where is the "I don't care as long as they sound good" option on the poll?

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Yeah, got to love those open high-end phones like the Sony R10 or Audio-Technica L3000. Oh wait, IIRC those are closed headphones...
rolleyes.gif

Did you miss the part where I said 'most' ?

Please explain if open phones are the same as closed one, why on earth bother to make open ones? They obviously have no advantage other than giving someone nearby a muffled concert.

Heres my Pros of an 'open' can if its no different to a closed one?

...lighter, just...
stays cool...
umm...

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 23
I have the option to listen to my ps3000s open or closed. I quit bothering with open almost immediately, since I hear no benefit from it.

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 23
It is usually easier to make open cans sound good than getting closed ones to the same level, particularly if we're talking halfway affordable models. The top models of Sennheiser, AKG and Audio Technica are open, as are most if not all 'stats. (Only Beyerdynamic currently makes an exception with the semi-open DT880. The new - open - DT990 will be their top model again, however.) Of course given enough effort you can also make great-sounding closed cans, they won't be exactly cheap however.

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlw
So beyerdynamic dt770 is not good as dt990 that is closed?

The DT990 is indeed supposed to be better overall than the DT770, the search should turn up the details.

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 23
I vote for open.
Someone please correct me but aren't many of those AT and other $1500++ woodie cans "semi-open"?

Even the DT770 technically is not completely enclosed, it has a small bass port on the side that leaks a small amount of sound out.

What cans are COMPLETELY closed... No vents, aperiodic openings or ports of ANY kind? V6, HD280, HD25...

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 23
All headphones were closed until Sennheiser created the HD 414 in 1968 IIRC. Sennheiser argued (and I believe they are right) that open headphones have better soundstage and a more natural sound.

Yes, there are excellent closed headphones (L3000, R10, both of which cost >$2000) and excellent IEMs. But I think most would agree that at the same price level, open headphones provide a more natural sound with less acoustic weirdness. Take the Grado SR 60 for example; no closed can or IEM costing $69 or less can match it for overall performance. So there are great closed cans, but you generally have to pay more for the same quality. If you don't need isolation or prevention of sound leaking outside, and you want to get the best bang for your back, you're generally better off with open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back