Open or Closed headphone + Question
Nov 7, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 23
I have both open and closed 'phones and the open ones sound better. They also costed more though...
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Yeah, got to love those open high-end phones like the Sony R10 or Audio-Technica L3000. Oh wait, IIRC those are closed headphones...
rolleyes.gif

Generally, I said generally, being a Spiritboxer I rarely deal in absolutes! You're probably one of the guys that burned me at the stake back in 1350AD. I'm keeping my eye on you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
Generally, I said generally, being a Spiritboxer I rarely deal in absolutes! You're probably one of the guys that burned me at the stake back in 1350AD. I'm keeping my eye on you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lol, you said open is generally better and I said most high-end 'phones are open!

We are the winners!

Open 'phones completely beating closed out of sight in this poll also backs up our comments too!
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
It is usually easier to make open cans sound good than getting closed ones to the same level, particularly if we're talking halfway affordable models. The top models of Sennheiser, AKG and Audio Technica are open, as are most if not all 'stats. (Only Beyerdynamic currently makes an exception with the semi-open DT880. The new - open - DT990 will be their top model again, however.) Of course given enough effort you can also make great-sounding closed cans, they won't be exactly cheap however.

I couple of people got emails from beyer saying that the model revamp was only cosmetic, I heard the same thing though that the 990 would be on top but when a few people emailed beyer and got the same response, I believe there will be no change.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Don't know if it counts but 99% of the recording engineers use closed headphones in the studios.

Theres a pretty good reason for that. Recording Studio are full of microphones, so it'd hardly be any good for everyone to have HD650s with sound leaking into them.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #22 of 23
When I was new here and did more forum reading than headphone listening, I got the (false) impression that open headphones had a significant sound quality advantage over closed ones. I no longer think this way; currently I own & enjoy great headphones of both varieties. If anything, I've got a bias towards closed cans, since the best 2 pairs I've heard are closed: W2002 & L3000. Even on the lower end of the scale, the closed AKG K340 and Sony CD1700 are two of the best bargains I've heard in the $100-$200 used range (along with the open HF1) - too bad all three have been discontinued
mad.gif
Hell, just about all the great closed cans have been discontinued. The manufacturers can and have produced top-notch (as good or better than any open equivalent) closed cans at various price points, but for whatever reason they're not doing it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back