Open Headphones With Ultrasone HFI-780 Bass?
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

slick1ru2

100+ Head-Fier
After trying to resist the headphone buying bug for a couple of eyars I broke down and bought a FiiO E10. And now, what the heck, might as well get the cans I want, something that sounds like my well broken in 780s (mod with beyerdynamic cushions). I have a pair of Grado SR80, and while the bass is nice on them, the 780 is in another class. So I am looking for open with that bass. Any suggestions? I was thinking the HFI 2400 would fit the ticket, but after reading some reviews I am not sure. Maybe one of the beyerdynamic Pro series?

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
After trying to resist the headphone buying bug for a couple of eyars I broke down and bought a FiiO E10. And now, what the heck, might as well get the cans I want, something that sounds like my well broken in 780s (mod with beyerdynamic cushions). I have a pair of Grado SR80, and while the bass is nice on them, the 780 is in another class. So I am looking for open with that bass. Any suggestions? I was thinking the HFI 2400 would fit the ticket, but after reading some reviews I am not sure. Maybe one of the beyerdynamic Pro series?

Heya,

The HFI 2400 has great bass for an open headphone, and it's treble is more relaxed than the closed variants of Ultrasones. The Beyer DT990 however delivers stronger and deeper bass however, but it does have a bit more bite in treble. Ultimately I would suggest you try to get your hands on a Hifiman HE-400. Have you considered just going for a Denon D2000?

Very best,

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions MalVeuX. I am going to try and resist spending that much....must fight...urge...to buy all you suggested. And thanks zazex for confirming the bass of the 2400.

I think I might go cheap and get the new version of the AKG K240 which has glowing reviews. Probably won't have the bass I want but hopefully sound different enough from my Grado SR80 that I will enjoy them.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 6
MalVeaX have you tried the beyerdynamic DT235 which someone compared favorably to their DT880 at a fraction of the cost? I saw you had done some reviews on less expensive headsets. Amazon has that headset at 50% off for the month. That was another I was thinking about getting.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
MalVeaX have you tried the beyerdynamic DT235 which someone compared favorably to their DT880 at a fraction of the cost? I saw you had done some reviews on less expensive headsets. Amazon has that headset at 50% off for the month. That was another I was thinking about getting.

Just saw this post --

The DT235 was getting good reviews a while back.  I wanted some inexpensive headphones
and bought a pair.  Unfortunately, they did not impress me at all.

Not that comfortable despite the AKG type headband and velour earpads.
No sparkle to the highs, a general lack of clarity, bass just OK

They were relegated to the top of a closet, and there they are still.
Have tried them a couple of times since I bought them, but those listening sessions
have only confirmed my initial impressions.

OTOH, the DT880's are superb headphones (they need a good amp, though in order to really shine).
They don't have the bass of an Ultrasone 780 or 2400, but their bass is very true IMO
much more satisfying (deeper and fuller) than, let's say, the AKG 701.

In my view the AKG 240's deserve their high marks as great value headphones;
they fly under the radar as far as actual purchases, it seems, even though they're
well known - and highly regarded - especially in the recording industry. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back