Open headphones with good bass for gaming and music
May 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gorgatron

100+ Head-Fier
Sup guys, so as you can see my collection. I like my AD700 a lot, but I am missing the bass. Perhaps you chaps can make some recommendation on a good pair of headphones with bass for gaming, music, etc.

preferred budget: no more than $200

possibly un amped if possible.

May 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 9
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 line....I have the DT 990 Pro personally and I can tell you they're open backed great for gaming and music with good bass and well within your budget. Also for blu ray movie watching they are simply a revelation! Best part about them in my opinion is the wide soundstage stereo imaging and instrument separation. They do want amping though but in my opinion with these it's not entirely necessary. Recommended to amp but I have to say they do give off a nice and less harsh sound unamped based on the amp equipment I have which isn't the best but decent. Much like the headphones. More than good for me though. 

May 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 9
I have had the DT 990 before. I did not like the headband.

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT 990 line....I have the DT 990 Pro personally and I can tell you they're open backed great for gaming and music with good bass and well within your budget. Also for blu ray movie watching they are simply a revelation! Best part about them in my opinion is the wide soundstage stereo imaging and instrument separation. They do want amping though but in my opinion with these it's not entirely necessary. Recommended to amp but I have to say they do give off a nice and less harsh sound unamped based on the amp equipment I have which isn't the best but decent. Much like the headphones. More than good for me though. 

May 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 9
The only open bassy phones I can think of around that price point are the DT990 and the Ultrasone HFI-2400. Both of them push the budget a bit, but open headphones with good bass aren't a common thing.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Disregard the 990...

May 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Any with more bass than the ad700 will still be nice.

Quote:
The only open bassy phones I can think of around that price point are the DT990 and the Ultrasone HFI-2400. Both of them push the budget a bit, but open headphones with good bass aren't a common thing.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Disregard the 990...

May 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 9
May 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 9
I would have to also say the DT990. I currently use DT880's as I find them just perfect for gaming and music. I used the DT990's for a little while and the bass was a little heavier than the DT880's. Maybe also audition the DT770's? But since you don't like the headband on those DT's, maybe the HD598? My friend has a pair and they dont sound bad at all. He doesn't have them through an amp though. You're also going to find it hard liking other headbands if you're so used to the AD700, those are very comfy. What is it about the DT's headband that you don't like?

May 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I would have to also say the DT990. I currently use DT880's as I find them just perfect for gaming and music. I used the DT990's for a little while and the bass was a little heavier than the DT880's. Maybe also audition the DT770's? But since you don't like the headband on those DT's, maybe the HD598? My friend has a pair and they dont sound bad at all. He doesn't have them through an amp though. You're also going to find it hard liking other headbands if you're so used to the AD700, those are very comfy. What is it about the DT's headband that you don't like?

They were not comfortable at all..

May 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
They were not comfortable at all..

Well surely that's obvious lol, so it was nothing to do with the material or any such clamping force then.... Because I have the Pro version which has more clamp than the premium versions and I didn't like the headband clamp at first but it's loosened up over a period of a few months and now it's not an issue to me. Ear pad pressure is still bugging me though so I'm going to upgrade to the premiums personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back