Open headphones up to $300 for classical, jazz, vocal (blues, gospel, soul)?
Apr 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 47
Umm... gotta go with the HD650. I think you can pick them up at JR for $320 or so, which is just barely out of your range. The 650 works great for the music you want, and probably scales with additional upgrades (amps, DACs, etc.) better than most other phones on the market. Balanced HD650 out of a high quality amp is about the best thing out there if you aren't going to spend $3k plus on your headphone/amp combination.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 47
There are no AKG K501 on eBay right now. Frankly speaking I don't want to wait. I have nothing against buying used online: I bought used L - lens several times more expensive than the discussed headphones. But I don't want to wait.

As of my budget while I earn money for living I am reasonable and flexible. I have completed my photo inventory (for instance, carbon tripod or 30" S-IPS monitor included), so I may spend something .

J&R have replied with $350 for HD650.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 47
[size=small]The AKG K501 has very sweet mids & crystal clear highs and will need a solid amp to get anything approaching decent bass out of it. I was very serious about buying this phone at one time but got away from that as many other interesting phones started popping up on the market.

The Senn HD600 also requires an amp. The HD600 sounds okay but not that special to these ears using the standard cable. Upgrading to a cable that can put more meat in the bass can make them sound truly sweet.

I remember several years ago at my first Head-fi meet, I had an opportunity to try the HD600 with the Stefan AudioArt Equinox. It was like turning a sonic spotlight on the lead instrument, whether the lead was vocals, guitar, etc. The other background instruments remained clear, but there was a definite aural prominence granted to the lead instrument. With the right cable, the HD600 can sound very special and balanced for the type of music you like.

There are a number of cables available, some more pricey than others, as Sennheiser seems to encourage a third party market for cables for its phones. I have the Headphile BlackGold, but that is one of the pricier ones. If you decide on the HD600, I am sure you will get plenty of cable recommendations from members here. BTW, Amazon.com currently has a sale on the HD600 for $258.14 = $7.99 shipping.
wink.gif
[/size]

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no AKG K501 on eBay right now. Frankly speaking I don't want to wait. I have nothing against buying used online: I bought used L - lens several times more expensive than the discussed headphones. But I don't want to wait.

As of my budget while I earn money for living I am reasonable and flexible. I have completed my photo inventory (for instance, carbon tripod or 30" S-IPS monitor included), so I may spend something .

J&R have replied with $350 for HD650.

Hmm. The pricing has gone up on them slightly then. I got mine for $280 (I think it was 329 from JR with a 50 Senn mail in rebate).

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #22 of 47
I'm going to recommend going with the HD600 or 580 (if you can find one) as they tend to fair a bit better with budget amps (since you mentioned you're on a budget) than other headphones mentioned here. The DT880, K501, and most definitely the HD650 and K701 all require a decent home amp to bring out the sound quality folks mention when they give those recommendations. The 501 and 701 can sound really thin without some serious power, and the 650 sounds heavy and veiled, for example, without proper amplification and portable amps don't cut it. The 600s really need a good home amp to sound their best, but compared to the others, they sounds pretty good with even an inexpensive mini3 portable amp. If you decide to want to upgrade in the future, they scale beautifully, and it's something to look forward to down the line. I've cycled through a lot of gear, and I hang on to the 600s for versatility, comfort, and...well...they always sound great to my ears.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #23 of 47
If you have to buy now, go with the Sennheiser HD-600. They're a terrific headphone, good for all genres, and are somewhat more forgiving of amplification than other headphones mentioned here. Pull up some HD-600 threads and read more. There's good reason why they're almost universally loved.

Even if you go with the HD-600 or something else, put aside $100-$150 and keep an eye out for a used K-501. That's the one that will really make you happy.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 501 and 701 can sound really thin without some serious power.

I can highly recommend the Kontrol 1 sound card combo with the K702...NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Products : AUDIO KONTROL 1

The K70X are low impedance...so, they don't really need a lot of power to drive them, like the 650. what they need, is a clean SS amp that is good with low impedance hp's.

And yes, there is members here that try to drive the K-701 with a powerful tubes. And they just don't get it why the K701 sound start to crack...
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can highly recommend the Kontrol 1 sound card combo with the K702...NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Products : AUDIO KONTROL 1

The K70X are low impedance...so, they don't really need a lot of power to drive them, like the 650. what they need, is a clean SS amp that is good with low impedance hp's.

And yes, there is members here that try to drive the K-701 with a powerful tubes. And they just don't get it why the K701 sound start to crack...
wink_face.gif

It's not the impedance of the 70Xs that make them a demanding headphone, it's the sensitivity. I've heard them with many different amps and sources, and without a powerful amp, they simply don't cut it. That's not to say you can't enjoy them, but you're really not getting the sq they were designed to give. They require some serious juice, and are one of the most amp dependent headphones I know.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the impedance of the 70Xs that make them a demanding headphone, it's the sensitivity. I've heard them with many different amps and sources, and without a powerful amp, they simply don't cut it. That's not to say you can't enjoy them, but you're really not getting the sq they were designed to give. They require some serious juice, and are one of the most amp dependent headphones I know.

Impedance = dynamic = sensitivity...just try them with the SPL phonitor.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #27 of 47
I'm sorry, you're just wrong. Impedance and sensitivity are related but not synonymous. And the SPL phonitor isn't exactly a low end headamp.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 47
Here's the best and simplest explanation I've seen around these parts:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, here we go, since I can't find the thread nor the reply, I'll try to explain a bit -again- how the impedance/sensitivity thing goes.

Headphones' drivers are transducers that convert AC electricity into sound. Dynamic drivers, the most common ones, use a coil -wounded wire around a hollow cylinder- into a magnetical field provided by a magnet, to convert the AC voltage into movement which is transferred to a membrane. The membrane's movement is transferred to the air particles in front of your ear. For the frequency characteristics of that vibration, and its pressure level, your brain interprets it as sound.

The voice coil of the driver has an impedance, which is the opposition it presents to the AC source (the amp or any headphone out) to the free flow of electrons thru it. The lower that impedance, the more freely the electrons travel and the closer is the scenario to a short-circuit. This means that your source of electricity needs to pump more current intensity to correctly drive the transducer. So you can take two conclussions from this:
- What makes the AC to drive any coil is its voltage. The minute variations of voltage follow the signal originally recorded.
- The current intensity is important to keep the coil excited, and you need more current intensity the lower is the impedance. There's a relation between the current voltage and the intensity which is the power measured in watts. Power is the product of the voltage and the intensity: P=V*I. This is why amps are rated for their power output and not only for their voltage capabilites.

Up to this moment there's no relation between the impedance and how loud the transducer will sound. However there's a parameter named sensitivity which tells you how loud will a transducer "sound" for a given amount of power you're feeding it. The sensitivity is rated in dB/mW for headphones, so a pair of phones delivering a SPL of 100dB/mW are more sensitive (can sound louder) than a pair rated at 90dB/mW.

So the easy or hard to drive a pair of phones is, depends on both parameters, the sensitivity and the impedance. The worst case would be a pair of phones of very low sensitivity and also a very low impedance. Why? because they'll be asking to the source more watts to sound equally loud as a more sensitive pair, and an important part of that power will be asked in the form of current intensity, which is something that most portable players, headphone outs in receivers and players, etc. aren't designed to deliver. This is the case of cans like AKG 701 or Denon D5000.
If your cans are low impedance but are very sensitive (the case of Grados and most IEMs) then despite their asking more current from the source, they still manage to sound very loud because they need very little power to do so.

Most people tend to think that low impedance equals to louder sound, but this is plainly wrong. It all depends on the sensitivity and how much power the cans need to give a high SPL. Also take into account that not all manufacturers offer their sensitivity values and not all them do in dB/mW but do in dB/mV. It's not much of a problem, you just need to convert the mV in mW knowing the phones impedance.

Rgrds

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, you're just wrong. Impedance and sensitivity are related but not synonymous. And the SPL phonitor isn't exactly a low end headamp.

Who said is a low end headamp, is one of the best amps out there for studio use. The Phonitor is a good indicator for what your hp are really capable of, and... how should sound a good hp amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back