Open Headphones Recommendation
Feb 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Mato

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm looking for some headphones to listen to classical music with. I listen to a lot of classical music, but I will not be listening through an amp, mainly my computer and possibly occasionally a portable music player.

My budget is £100.

I have been told that the headphones will need to be 'open', to get the best from classical music...is this correct?

A friend has told me that the HD555/595 are supposed to be good for classical...any opinions?

Also, if there are any closed headphones which rival the above for classical music I would be interested in hearing, although I'm aware it's unlikely that anyone is going to recommend them over open headphones.

Thanks very much,

Tom.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D1001 is closed and FWIR works well for classical.

Oooh thanks - I didn't mention it because I thought it was pointless, but if there are good closed headphones for classical, they are much preferrable to open (because of my situation, the less noise which enters and leaves the better) - although i'm not going to let it get in the way of a good sound.

Any other recommendations, or votes for the D1001? They look nice.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D1001 is closed and FWIR works well for classical.

I love my D1001's, but I wouldn't say they are good for classical. They don't have much of a soundstage (important for classical), aren't the clearest headphones in the $150 range, and don't separate more than maybe 7 or 8 instruments all that well.

The things they do well are, they have a nice full sound to them, are very musical and have a nice natural bass thump even unamped. However, none of those are terribly important for classical music.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 37
Er.. Open.. Classical.. AD700 comes to mind
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIR, though
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 37
Thanks for the other opinion on the D1001s

Also thanks for the AD700 recommendation, any idea how they fare against the HD595s?

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado!!!!

I love my Grados, but I think the soundstage, until you get to like RS-1 territory, is a bit limited for classical. If you don't need bass for your classical, I think the AKG K701s are the phone to beat. If you do need bass, maybe Beyerdynamic DT990's (used)?

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 37
Would need nice bass really I guess.

The Beyerdynamic DT990 are good phones? You seem to be able to get them just under £100 now new.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 37
As I write this I'm listening to the love duet from act 2 of Tristan und Isolde. It sounds marvelous through my AD700s. Spacious and clear - both in the subtle nuances of the delicate passages and in each rising climax.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 37
The beyers and AKGs mentioned, although great headphones, would not seem to be a good fit with the rest of your gear. Listening straight from a computer or portable player severely limits your choices, and in this case I really wouldn't recommend anything except Grados. With new models recently introduced and sales available on the older models, you could do pretty well with, for example, an SR-80. Beyond that, you might want to see if you can audition a beyerdynamic DT250-80. Those are also very easy to drive, and while closed, offer a very nice, even and smooth sound.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 37
AD700 or a pair of AKG's, FWIR. MS-1 might work also, but Grado's and the D1001 are better suited to rock.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 37
ok so Beyer DT250 (80ohm) vs Senn HD595 vs Grado SR-80 vs AD700...

If I go for the DT250 because they're closed, am I missing out on a lot?

Edit: Quote:

a pair of AKG's

any in particular?

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 37
The only Grado I've liked with classical has been the HP-1000, which is hard to come by and outside your budget.

The obvious choice is the AKG K-501. They're discontinued, unfortunately, but are generally available in your budget. I listen to classical regularly, and the K-501 is one of the best headphones available at any price. I'd recommend reading the K-501 appreciation thread - that should be enough to convince anyone.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I go for the DT250 because they're closed, am I missing out on a lot?

In my opinion, no. But I do recommend auditioning them before buying, if possible. They're very well made headphones, actually among the best of the best in this regard, but a comfortable fit really depends on your ears as they're rather compact in the earcups. I've owned both the DT250-80 and the DT250-250, and think that they sounded virtually the same. Either headphone could have fooled me into thinking it was an open design, at least at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back