Open Headphones Recommendation
Feb 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thanks that was really detailed and easy to understand (Y).

I'm using a Samsung Laptop so yes I don't have a spectacular sound card.

For the sort of thing that I'm doing (listening to classical music from PC @ 192-320kbps) through HD595s or AD700s, would the HOTUSB1 be sufficient.

Or perhaps rather than saying 'would it be sufficient', would it benefit my listening experience?

Thanks.

If you can tell the difference between 128 kbps and 192 kbps, you can certainly, certainly tell the difference between your onboard soundcard and a DAC. And you'll get a little more oomph with the added power from the HOTUSB1.

If you end up buying one, send Dave an email and tell him I sent you. his email is hotaudio40 (at) hotmail (dot) com

he's super easy to deal with and extremely responsive and he sells a really high quality product that is well priced.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 37
Will do. Highly likely that I will buy one once I get my 'phones next weekend. Thanks again.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #33 of 37
I own the HD595 and listen to a lot of classical music. I don't think they would be a good choice unless you're prepared to buy an amp and use high bit-rates for MP3s or, ideally, use a lossless format. Otherwise I think you'll find they sound muffled on some recordings, particularly piano/cello sonatas/concertos.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #34 of 37
So with the proposed setup above moogman, what headphones would you recommend? 555s?

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with the proposed setup above moogman, what headphones would you recommend? 555s?

I'd go with AD700's over HD555's. I've yet to meet anybody who really likes 555's. At best they're "a good intro phone" or "decent for the money". Whereas there are more than a few people who think that the AD700 is the best headphone for classical music, period. I've never heard HD595's, so I can't comment on them.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #37 of 37
Ok thanks. If that's the case I'm happy to spend a little more to get the AD700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back