Open Headphones Recommendation
Feb 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 37
Oh good about the DT250 that's certainly tempting, as I say the closed design is preferrable.

There are some AKG K-501s on the net for £110, worth it?

Will read the thread on the 501s now.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 37
I had no pair of AKG in particular in mind. I've only heard K240 Studio's before, and thought they would work well with classical. I've also read that the K701 and K501 are good for the same sorts of music. Frankly, I'm starting to get the impression that AKG makes their cans specifically for classical.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The obvious choice is the AKG K-501.

Aren't they fairly hard to drive, though? I've listened to them years ago, but never at home with my own gear. I've owned the K301, K271S and currently the K601, and wouldn't be happy with even the K271S driven by my portables or my laptop.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't they fairly hard to drive, though? I've listened to them years ago, but never at home with my own gear. I've owned the K301, K271S and currently the K601, and wouldn't be happy with even the K271S driven by my portables or my laptop.

hm as i sayy, no amp or anything.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 37
Hmm, from your subsequent responses, I'd probably go with Audio Technicas (the AD700 or A700) or Sennhesiers (HD595). Both are relatively easy to drive and both get good marks for classical music (though I don't have much experience with either).

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 37
Seek out an AKG k501, readily available s/h on ebay in europe, for 80-100 euros; really the best option for classical on your budget.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #23 of 37
ok.

I know nothing about amps...is there something I can put between my computer and say, a pair of K501s to release the full potential? Or between them and a Creative Zen?

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #24 of 37
*bump*

If I was to go for some ATH-AD700s or HD 595s, how much would a FiiO E5 headpone amp help?

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*bump*

If I was to go for some ATH-AD700s or HD 595s, how much would a FiiO E5 headpone amp help?

the FiiO would mainly help the AD700s because of the FiiO's bass boost circuit (which you can turn on and off and is much more subtle than one would think). It would tighten both headphones up a bit, make them a little better with really hard, fast parts. The HD 595's are said to sound a little less distant with an amp.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only Grado I've liked with classical has been the HP-1000, which is hard to come by and outside your budget.

The obvious choice is the AKG K-501. They're discontinued, unfortunately, but are generally available in your budget. I listen to classical regularly, and the K-501 is one of the best headphones available at any price. I'd recommend reading the K-501 appreciation thread - that should be enough to convince anyone.

It is funny how out-of-production headphones can get so overrated.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 37
I'm a complete noob with most things, and no nothing about Amps or DACs or anything like that.

What's the advantage of using a DAC? What's more important for my needs, a DAC or Amp? Are there cheap DACs around that will significantly improve the system?

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a complete noob with most things, and no nothing about Amps or DACs or anything like that.

What's the advantage of using a DAC? What's more important for my needs, a DAC or Amp? Are there cheap DACs around that will significantly improve the system?

Thanks.

So on your computer you have a soundcard. Part of what the soundcard does is turn the digitally stored music files into an analog signal that can push headphones. There isn't a lot of demand for super hi-fidelity sound out of computers. So this is an area that almost all computer makers cut corners, using relatively low quality soundcards that don't convert the digital signal to analog as well as you might hope. What a DAC )digital to analog converter) does is it bypasses your soundcard and converts the digital signal, via your USB out, into an analog signal that goes to your headphones. Because these things are made specifically for audiophiles (nobody else needs them) they use a higher quality chip to do the digital to analog conversion. They don't "make your headphones sound better" unless they have some sort of amping that benefits your headphone built in. What they do is more accurately translate what is stored on your computer into what should be sent to your headphones. Also they provide something of a side benefit because they don't get as much interference from the internal workings of your computer, because they are typically external to the computer.

I'd say an amp and a DAC are about equally important, and I generally recommend getting one of the combos that Dave at hotaudio.com sells.

USB DACs : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So on your computer you have a soundcard. Part of what the soundcard does is turn the digitally stored music files into an analog signal that can push headphones. There isn't a lot of demand for super hi-fidelity sound out of computers. So this is an area that almost all computer makers cut corners, using relatively low quality soundcards that don't convert the digital signal to analog as well as you might hope. What a DAC )digital to analog converter) does is it bypasses your soundcard and converts the digital signal, via your USB out, into an analog signal that goes to your headphones. Because these things are made specifically for audiophiles (nobody else needs them) they use a higher quality chip to do the digital to analog conversion. They don't "make your headphones sound better" unless they have some sort of amping that benefits your headphone built in. What they do is more accurately translate what is stored on your computer into what should be sent to your headphones. Also they provide something of a side benefit because they don't get as much interference from the internal workings of your computer, because they are typically external to the computer.

I'd say an amp and a DAC are about equally important, and I generally recommend getting one of the combos that Dave at hotaudio.com sells.

USB DACs : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Well said.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #30 of 37
Wow thanks that was really detailed and easy to understand (Y).

I'm using a Samsung Laptop so yes I don't have a spectacular sound card.

For the sort of thing that I'm doing (listening to classical music from PC @ 192-320kbps) through HD595s or AD700s, would the HOTUSB1 be sufficient.

Or perhaps rather than saying 'would it be sufficient', would it benefit my listening experience?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back