Open headphones in the $100 - $200 range
Feb 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have a suggestion.  I really like the sound on my HD555s, especially for jazz, but they just aren't getting any more comfortable.  I still have another week to return them and try something else if they won't cut it.  I'm looking for an open headphone that can be used for rock (classic and modern), jazz, movies and gaming.  I'm considering trying the AD700 from headroom as I've read they're comfortable.  I don't know if they'll have the bass, though.

If I stick with the 555's will they loosen up a bit?  I tried stretching the headband some and it helped until they went back to how they were before.  I have arthritis in my jaw and I think the length (oval shape) is bothering me.  I also have a largish head.

So...should I stick with these, and what are the alternatives?  Thanks a lot.

BackwardPawn

Edit:  Are the Beyer headphones comfortable.  I already invested in a sound card.  I don't mind investing in the next level up headphone so long as its a comfortable.  Thanks again.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 2
I have the DT990 (250ohm) and they are very comfortable and suitable for all-around general use. I managed to pick it up from Amazon on sale for approx $200...so if you are patient you may be able to get a good deal too. What kind of sound card do you have? It would be a good idea to borrow someone's high-impedance headphones first just to make sure you can drive such cans properly with your sound card.

The AD700 has been criticized for its lack of base...which would make it less desirable for rock/movie/games. But it is definitely cheaper than the DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back