Open Headphones for ~$500
May 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #76 of 118
Again, which model? Sony's most expensive in-production headphone, the MDR-Z7, does have boosted bass, plus it's a closed headphone anyway.

I am not very knowledgeable about headphone modifications, sorry.

Basically MDR series is great, just stay away from the xb line.. Although I used the v6, for its price of 70$ it's the best buy ever, and Sony kept the series going, which much more expensive and higher quality sets.
As well as the v55 for 40$.
I mean, both the v55 and the v6 have a very accurate bass and MIDs while focusing on the highs, great sound stage and comfort, portability and build quality.
And you are talking about 500$ my mind is getting blown just from thinking about a Sony MDR headset at that price.
Although Sony is great at the lower cost range for natural sound I would say that sennheiser win at higher cost no doubt, again just don't go for the bass line and you are good to go ( even the bass line at 500$ would make me eargasm any day.. And I really do not like bass ) I can't really tell a sennheiser in particular..
( I still think that 300$ set and a 200$ amp is better )

May 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #77 of 118
Basically MDR series is great, just stay away from the xb line.. Although I used the v6, for its price of 70$ it's the best buy ever, and Sony kept the series going, which much more expensive and higher quality sets.
As well as the v55 for 40$.
I mean, both the v55 and the v6 have a very accurate bass and MIDs while focusing on the highs, great sound stage and comfort, portability and build quality.
And you are talking about 500$ my mind is getting blown just from thinking about a Sony MDR headset at that price.
Although Sony is great at the lower cost range for natural sound I would say that sennheiser win at higher cost no doubt, again just don't go for the bass line and you are good to go ( even the bass line at 500$ would make me eargasm any day.. And I really do not like bass ) I can't really tell a sennheiser in particular..
( I still think that 300$ set and a 200$ amp is better )

I own the MDR-7506. Really like it, more than lots of more expensive headphones, though my favorite headphone, the $349 Focal Spirit Professional, blows it away, for the most part.

Ever heard of the Sony MDR-R10? It's one of the most legendary (and rare) headphones and goes for thousands on the used market. I think the last few I saw were like $5,000 and $8,000.

Which Sennheisers have you heard/owned? I have owned the HD 590, 650, and 700, and also briefly heard the 558.

A $300 headphone + $200 amp might be better, but some headphones don't even need or benefit from an amp.

May 12, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #78 of 118
I own the MDR-7506. Really like it, more than lots of more expensive headphones, though my favorite headphone, the $349 Focal Spirit Professional, blows it away, for the most part.

Ever heard of the Sony MDR-R10? It's one of the most legendary (and rare) headphones and goes for thousands on the used market. I think the last few I saw were like $5,000 and $8,000.

Which Sennheisers have you heard/owned? I have owned the HD 590, 650, and 700, and also briefly heard the 558.

A $300 headphone + $200 amp might be better, but some headphones don't even need or benefit from an amp.

Yeah heard of the r10, I remember I saw them at 400$ at their site.. Should have got them when I could.
Sony has many legends, as well as the xb500 ( personally i find them meh-ish for the cost of 50$..)
Also heard the hd700, I found them to my liking.
But I'm no pro.. Which is a shame my parents won't let my buy things with my money for some reason..
Quick question tho: music alchemist is a great name, is it a reference to the full metal alchemist show?
Oh and mind you reccomend me a 10 band EQ settings to reduce bass, highlight MIDs a bit and increase by a lot? ( bass headphones for anti bass user.. I'm dumb)

May 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #79 of 118
Yeah heard of the r10, I remember I saw them at 400$ at their site.. Should have got them when I could.
Sony has many legends, as well as the xb500 ( personally i find them meh-ish for the cost of 50$..)
Also heard the hd700, I found them to my liking.
But I'm no pro.. Which is a shame my parents won't let my buy things with my money for some reason..
Quick question tho: music alchemist is a great name, is it a reference to the full metal alchemist show?
Oh and mind you reccomend me a 10 band EQ settings to reduce bass, highlight MIDs a bit and increase by a lot? ( bass headphones for anti bass user.. I'm dumb)

$400? Are you sure you're not mistaking it for another model? According to a Google search for sony "mdr-r10" retail price, its original retail price was between $2,500 and $4,000.

lol. My user name is a reference to many things, but yes, that too. If you look at my old avatars, one of them is Edward Elric.

I recommend doing serious EQ with a parametric equalizer and these tutorials:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Or better yet, get better headphones! =D

May 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #80 of 118
$400? Are you sure you're not mistaking it for another model? According to a Google search for sony "mdr-r10" retail price, its original retail price was between $2,500 and $4,000.

lol. My user name is a reference to many things, but yes, that too. If you look at my old avatars, one of them is Edward Elric.

I recommend doing serious EQ with a parametric equalizer and these tutorials:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Or better yet, get better headphones! =D
sadly I cannot get better headphones, tho I will EQ and mod a bit, might help, the Sony drivers are very decent.
And yes I clearly remember the r10 being on their official site for 400$.
( currently have the xb600, very sad that I didn't go for the v55 ) I'll try to eq better now, thanks, I've been breaking my head since I got the set..
Edit: I deserve a beat up, I thought you meant the 10r I was like legendary? Since when then it hit me like a train wow I'm so ******* dumb. Bring on the gate train I'm ready.

May 12, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #81 of 118
sadly I cannot get better headphones, tho I will EQ and mod a bit, might help, the Sony drivers are very decent.
And yes I clearly remember the r10 being on their official site for 400$.
( currently have the xb600, very sad that I didn't go for the v55 ) I'll try to eq better now, thanks, I've been breaking my head since I got the set..
Edit: I deserve a beat up, I thought you meant the 10r I was like legendary? Since when then it hit me like a train wow I'm so ******* dumb. Bring on the gate train I'm ready.

Haha lol. I was like, "No way that headphone would ever be sold for four hundred bucks..."

I'm actually supposed to get an MDR-10R in a few days. But I think you're still mistaken, because the original MSRP of the MDR-10R was only $200. It's currently $150 on Sony's site, under $100 on Amazon, and can go probably lower than $40 on the used market. Then there's the MDR-10RNC, which is $250 on Sony's site and around $130 on Amazon. Perhaps it was another model with a similar name that was $400.

Here's a little tip: I sold and traded lots of headphones and other audio gear to get other headphones.

May 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #82 of 118
Right now I am considering a couple different options. I could swap my LCD-2's for some HD800's or sell the LCD-2's and get one of three headphones, (three that I think could work and I would like) the Hifiman HE-400i's, the HD 600/650's, or the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs. I would really like to try a hifiman can and would like it to be the he-500 but it's too heavy and barely has any padding on the headband just like the LCD-2 so I'm pretty confident I won't like the comfort aspect which is why I want to try the he-400i. I was thinking also of going to the HD600/650, the HD600 if it's highs are more present than the HD650's and LCD-2's but the HD650's if not because it has more bass and more impact. Or lastly, I could go for the Mad Dogs which are also a darker headphone but not as much as the 650 or LCD-2, I think lol. 

I don't know if I want to go back to the HD600/650 now either because planar drivers are so fast compared to dynamics (excluding HD800 :D). What do you guys think?

May 12, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #83 of 118

So any luck trying another USB cable or hooking up the NFB-11 to a different USB input?

I will have to find or buy another usb cable but no luck trying other usb ports.
I recently owned the HD 650. It sounded pretty dark to me. The bass didn't have punch/impact as is more common in closed headphones, but it did sound more bassy than clear -- like, there was just more of a bass presence type of feel to it, even if the bass itself wasn't emphasized that much.

What do you think about the LCD-2's bass? Some versions of it have perfectly neutral bass, by the way! And all of them have nearly perfectly neutral bass. Not boosted at all.

The LCD-2's bass, I think, has great texture and extends low but still does not have just enough impact and presence.

Measure your ears for me. I can tell you whether they will.

Will do later lol. Thanks.

No additional drivers. You do probably have to set your Realtek to output audio to spdif (it probably won't automatically do that). What happens is that the Realtek software/drivers are still used (it has to be installed correctly), but the audio is routed through optical instead of going to the Realtek dac/headphone amp.

Okay I will probably do this then, thanks for the advice before I shipped it back.

Anybody know if this amp would be any good if I switched to an HD800?

I can compare the two. What don't you like about the LCD-2?

May 12, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #84 of 118
  Right now I am considering a couple different options. I could swap my LCD-2's for some HD800's or sell the LCD-2's and get one of three headphones, (three that I think could work and I would like) the Hifiman HE-400i's, the HD 600/650's, or the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs. I would really like to try a hifiman can and would like it to be the he-500 but it's too heavy and barely has any padding on the headband just like the LCD-2 so I'm pretty confident I won't like the comfort aspect which is why I want to try the he-400i. I was thinking also of going to the HD600/650, the HD600 if it's highs are more present than the HD650's and LCD-2's but the HD650's if not because it has more bass and more impact. Or lastly, I could go for the Mad Dogs which are also a darker headphone but not as much as the 650 or LCD-2, I think lol. 

I don't know if I want to go back to the HD600/650 now either because planar drivers are so fast compared to dynamics (excluding HD800 :D). What do you guys think?

My vote is for the HD 800, especially if you can trade your LCD-2 for one, since the HD 800 goes for higher prices on the used market than the LCD-2 does. I would also be interested in how the HD 800 performs to your standards when you boost the bass with a parametric equalizer. For example, would that increase the impact? And so on. The HE-400i and HD 650 were good, but nowhere near good enough for me. The HD 650 had almost no impact compared to the Focal Spirit Professional.

May 12, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #85 of 118
Get the T1. It's a great headphone and can be had cheap used. I'm selling my LCD2 because they T1 is simply a better headphone: more comfortable, better highs, better soundstage, better separation, more involving. The only thing the LCD2 does better is relaxed music since it is significantly less aggressive.

May 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #86 of 118

I can compare the two. What don't you like about the LCD-2?

The only thing I dislike about the LCD-2 sound is the highs, they aren't very present or detailed, it's too dark. Other than that the bass could have some more impact and the headband could have more padding because that coupled with the weight of these things makes a sore spot on my head after only 10 minutes or so.

My vote is for the HD 800, especially if you can trade your LCD-2 for one, since the HD 800 goes for higher prices on the used market than the LCD-2 does. I would also be interested in how the HD 800 performs to your standards when you boost the bass with a parametric equalizer. For example, would that increase the impact? And so on. The HE-400i and HD 650 were good, but nowhere near good enough for me. The HD 650 had almost no impact compared to the Focal Spirit Professional.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking.

Get the T1. It's a great headphone and can be had cheap used. I'm selling my LCD2 because they T1 is simply a better headphone: more comfortable, better highs, better soundstage, better separation, more involving. The only thing the LCD2 does better is relaxed music since it is significantly less aggressive.

I was also considering this headphone but from reviews it seems that people think it is bass light or somewhat bass light. What do you think about its bass response?

May 12, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #87 of 118
The only thing I dislike about the LCD-2 sound is the highs, they aren't very present or detailed, it's too dark. Other than that the bass could have some more impact and the headband could have more padding because that coupled with the weight of these things makes a sore spot on my head after only 10 minutes or so.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking.

I was also considering this headphone but from reviews it seems that people think it is bass light or somewhat bass light. What do you think about its bass response?

I quite like the bass. It isnt bass heavy, but it is there when called upon. Especially if you pair it with a tube amp, you can get pretty nice bass out of them

May 12, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #89 of 118
  Okay, I think what I am going to do is trade my LCD-2's for the HD800's. See if I like them, if not, sell them or trade them for some Beyer T1's. 

I had the chance to buy an HD 800 for $400 (not in the best condition) recently, but missed out because I had to cover moving expenses. :'(

If you decide to sell, PM me to see whether I'd be able to buy from you.

May 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #90 of 118

I had the chance to buy an HD 800 for $400 (not in the best condition) recently, but missed out because I had to cover moving expenses. :'(

If you decide to sell, PM me to see whether I'd be able to buy from you.

Wow what a price even if not in the best condition, that's too bad you couldn't buy them though :frowning2:

Will definitely message you if I decide to sell them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back