Open Headphones for ~$500
May 13, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #106 of 118

There are only a limited number of headphones. I think someone once said basically what you're saying would make a perfect headphone, but the HE-6 treble, instead of the K712. Basically jump from the HD650 to LCD-2 in terms of bass speed and then imagine making that same jump with the K712 in the treble range. Really fast and transparent. 

Unfortunately, I don't think that really exists in any headphone. Every headphone has certain strengths and there really isn't one that is the "best of everything". You have to have compromises somewhere. I will say that if you found the weight of the LCD-2 too much after only 10 minutes, I doubt you would really enjoy any orthodynamic headphone. 
frown.gif

IMHO if you enjoyed the X2 aside from the earpads, I would look at just swapping the pads around to something more favorable. Also the Fostex TH600 might be a total hit or total miss for you. I'm sure there are comparisons of the TH600, D2000 or D7000 to the X2. I'd look for those.

The other orthos I have tried and the weight didn't bother me at all are the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs Pro (with the alpha pads and comfort strap) and the Oppo PM-3. Mad dog pro's were a really good headphone for $300 but they are dark too, not as dark as the HD650 but darker sounding. Oppo PM-3 were good but ear pads were too small to fit my ears in all the way and the highs were rolled off also (not as much as the Mad dog I don't think, this is from memory though). Thinking about just going for a lower priced headphone such as the he-400i, hd600/650, mad dog pro and be satisfied. 

I totally forgot about those orthos. I was thinking along the lines of LCD-2 and Hifimans which have really large drivers.

I haven't heard the Oppo line, but I know it has gotten a lot of attention. The PM-1 and PM-2 both have larger earpads, IIRC. 

Tbh, after rolling lots of headphones and amps I just put a pair on and enjoy the music. Get a pair that reaches down to the lows and lets you hear everything and enjoy them. 
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #107 of 118
Well, this post is out of my league, i would like to talk with you privately music alchemist.
Good luck finding the cans man.

Just PM me.

Okay, the guy I was going to trade my LCD-2's for his HD800 decided to do something else so I am going to sell the LCD-2's and take recommendations for more cans. 

You could start a classified ad in the FS forum advertising the fact that you want to trade your LCD-2 for an HD 800.

May 16, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #109 of 118
I am going to go back to the HD600's, mainly because I love the comfort, sound (mostly, only problem is the impact of the bass but I know how to fix the sub bass which was my biggest issue with the HD600 & HD650), and almost everything about them. 

Now, I have a $700 budget for an amp and a dac for them. My first thoughts were either the Schiit Bitfrost + Schiit Asgard 2 or Schiit Modi (optical) + Schiit Valhalla 2. I don't know many other good amps and dacs from others, mostly just schiit products. I am looking for amp + dac suggestions from you guys for the HD600's, thanks!

May 16, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #110 of 118
  I am going to go back to the HD600's, mainly because I love the comfort, sound (mostly, only problem is the impact of the bass but I know how to fix the sub bass which was my biggest issue with the HD600 & HD650), and almost everything about them. 

Now, I have a $700 budget for an amp and a dac for them. My first thoughts were either the Schiit Bitfrost + Schiit Asgard 2 or Schiit Modi (optical) + Schiit Valhalla 2. I don't know many other good amps and dacs from others, mostly just schiit products. I am looking for amp + dac suggestions from you guys for the HD600's, thanks!

I've been meaning to try the HD 600 for a long time now. Does it basically sound like the HD 650, except more neutral? (That's the gist of what I heard.)

Common tube amp recommendations for the HD 600 are the Bottlehead Crack, Little Dot, and Schiit Valhalla 2. But research them, because I know very little about them.

May 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #111 of 118

I've been meaning to try the HD 600 for a long time now. Does it basically sound like the HD 650, except more neutral? (That's the gist of what I heard.)

Common tube amp recommendations for the HD 600 are the Bottlehead Crack, Little Dot, and Schiit Valhalla 2. But research them, because I know very little about them.

Yes, the HD600 has a bit less bass and a some more treble than the HD650. 

May 16, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #117 of 118

slickdeals.net lists some great deals occasionally. Saw it for under $230 new recently.

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for that, most of the time I order from amazon just because I have amazon prime (best thing ever by the way if you order from there a lot) and I can get it to my house in two days for free. But I might just have to do that site for that price if they have it :)

May 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #118 of 118
  Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for that, most of the time I order from amazon just because I have amazon prime (best thing ever by the way if you order from there a lot) and I can get it to my house in two days for free. But I might just have to do that site for that price if they have it :)

slickdeals usually just links to Adorama, etc., and the deals seem to be pretty limited-time.

I used Amazon Prime at one time. The free expedited shipping and streaming videos were very convenient. It was also nice to get a much better rate for one-day shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back