Open Headphones for ~$500
May 11, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #46 of 118
I don't remember which drivers I used. But if it's not showing up in control panel->sound as a device, probably don't have the right drivers installed correctly.

It was working earlier when I first did it but when I came home again it wasn't working correctly. Not sure how to fix it and sucks that I can't use it right now. I probably won't end up keeping this amp/dac if I can't get it to work soon. Also probably won't keep the LCD-2's because of the comfort issue on the top of my head. What headphone would you recommend that is lighter, brighter, and more even throughout the spectrum (not so dark like the lcd-2's)?

May 11, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #49 of 118
This is what mine looks like when NFB-11 is turned on, Windows 7 64 bit:

If NFB-11 is not showing up there, could be (a) USB cable is bad, (b) try a different USB slot (some dacs don't like blue usb 3.0 slots), (c) drivers not installed/wrong drivers.

May 12, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #50 of 118
This is what mine looks like when NFB-11 is turned on, Windows 7 64 bit:

If NFB-11 is not showing up there, could be (a) USB cable is bad, (b) try a different USB slot (some dacs don't like blue usb 3.0 slots), (c) drivers not installed/wrong drivers.

Mine just has the speakers and the realtek digital output no usb device like that. I have installed and reinstalled the driver and rebooted my computer about a million times no luck. 

May 12, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #52 of 118
I am looking for an open headphone for about $500, I can spend more if it's worth it. I would like the sound signature to be this: mids > bass = highs. So intimate mids, present, detailed bass, and highs that have some sparkle and is about the same quantity as the bass. Good size sound stage would be nice also. The ear pads need to be the same size or larger than the HD650's. I like the weight of the HD650's but could do a heavier headphone if suggested. If I forgot anything please ask, thanks!

Your budget is so high man!! I would suggest a pair of 300$ and a 200$ Amp.. If you already have an amp then you will have the time of your life, you will experience eargasms everyday.
I'm pretty sure you already know the brands you like but I would highlight sennheiser and Sony, as I tried their high end cans and had the best satisfaction by far from many other high end different brands cans.
Sony always have that crisp very Very accurate bass, which isn't strong at all, just perfect, as well as the mids and highs, you can't really go wrong with this budget!

May 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #56 of 118
The HD 800 is the most recommended ultra-high-end headphone in that regard, but I haven't heard it yet myself.

I was thinking about this as the next choice but my only concern is the bass. To me I feel the HD650 is somewhat bass light (not a basshead but I like a little more than average I guess you could say) and people say the HD800 has less than the 650. If there is a headphone similar to the HD800 with more bass that would be perfect I think.

Can someone who has heard the HD800 comment on the bass?

May 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #58 of 118
I was thinking about this as the next choice but my only concern is the bass. To me I feel the HD650 is somewhat bass light (not a basshead but I like a little more than average I guess you could say) and people say the HD800 has less than the 650. If there is a headphone similar to the HD800 with more bass that would be perfect I think.

Can someone who has heard the HD800 comment on the bass?

I recently owned the HD 650. It sounded pretty dark to me. The bass didn't have punch/impact as is more common in closed headphones, but it did sound more bassy than clear -- like, there was just more of a bass presence type of feel to it, even if the bass itself wasn't emphasized that much.

What do you think about the LCD-2's bass? Some versions of it have perfectly neutral bass, by the way! And all of them have nearly perfectly neutral bass. Not boosted at all.

May 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #59 of 118
Wha? Sony have all sorts of different headphones, ranging from strong to neutral to weak bass. Which model are you referring to? lol

Sorry for that i was reffering to the more high price range.
You can pretty much see if its for bass or for clarity since they have a bass line ( I'm a noon that owns xb600 and made a mistake not going for v55 with velour pads ) I have my own thread talking about moding my xb, mind u help me?

May 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #60 of 118
Sorry for that i was reffering to the more high price range.
You can pretty much see if its for bass or for clarity since they have a bass line ( I'm a noon that owns xb600 and made a mistake not going for v55 with velour pads ) I have my own thread talking about moding my xb, mind u help me?

Again, which model? Sony's most expensive in-production headphone, the MDR-Z7, does have boosted bass, plus it's a closed headphone anyway.

I am not very knowledgeable about headphone modifications, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back