Open Headphones $75-$125
Jul 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 22
I very well might have to get a new pair of the AD700s as well. I loved them, but I have a compulsion to try as many headphones as possible. I'm sure you all understand.

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Yes the AD700 and the current batch of 240's are different in sound, but in the same general value class.  However, the old made in Austria and built to stand up in the studio for a decade or more 240's may well be in a different class.

Are you talking about the (older) 600 ohm versions, or the (less old, but not produced anymore) k240 mkii made in Austria?

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 22
k240 is a semi open headphone, right? IIRC it really doesn't give big soundstage. I've owned a k240/600ohm model about a year ago. Although the k240 should fit really well with the genres you mentioned.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
k240 is a semi open headphone, right? IIRC it really doesn't give big soundstage. I've owned a k240/600ohm model about a year ago. Although the k240 should fit really well with the genres you mentioned.

Yeah, although I should clarify that I bought the K240 MKII. It's made in Austria, so it's pre-2009, I believe, but it's not much older than that.

Any experience with the Fiio E7 and these? I just picked one up for $45.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
Yeah, although I should clarify that I bought the K240 MKII. It's made in Austria, so it's pre-2009, I believe, but it's not much older than that.

Any experience with the Fiio E7 and these? I just picked one up for $45.

The only semi open cans that are still made in Austria are the Q 701 and maybe its K siblings--at least from what I have seen and put on my ears. 

Not sure where the closed K 550 is made.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 22
Some quick impressions, in no particular order:

I like the AD700 a hell of a lot better. The 240 MKIIis almost muddy compared to the clarity I've been used to. The bass has much more impact, but that comes at the expense of drawing attention away from the highs. Mids are solid, but they don't really draw me in. They isolate a little more and clamp to the point where it's almost uncomfortable. I love the detachable cable, I could see that saving them being replaced the way many of my other cans have been. The thing that I don't like is that they lack any sort of immediacy and sparkle. I want to use "veiled" to describe them, but I'm not sure if that's quite the right word. I guess it feels more like I'm hearing a recording of an instrument froma few feet away, rather than the instrument itself. My iPod struggles to drive them - 3/4 volume. I suspect they'll sound much better when I get my E7 amp in the mail, but right now I'm thinking of selling them and getting the AD-900.

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
Some quick impressions, in no particular order:

I like the AD700 a hell of a lot better. The 240 MKIIis almost muddy compared to the clarity I've been used to. The bass has much more impact, but that comes at the expense of drawing attention away from the highs. Mids are solid, but they don't really draw me in. They isolate a little more and clamp to the point where it's almost uncomfortable. I love the detachable cable, I could see that saving them being replaced the way many of my other cans have been. The thing that I don't like is that they lack any sort of immediacy and sparkle. I want to use "veiled" to describe them, but I'm not sure if that's quite the right word. I guess it feels more like I'm hearing a recording of an instrument froma few feet away, rather than the instrument itself. My iPod struggles to drive them - 3/4 volume. I suspect they'll sound much better when I get my E7 amp in the mail, but right now I'm thinking of selling them and getting the AD-900.

Thanks for your impressions, sorry to hear you don't care so much for your new cans. What's interesting to me is the comfort you mentioned. The K240 was always so comfortable for me. Clamp isn't a word I'd use to describe their fit. But people are different I guess, and they will fit everyone a bit differently.

Well, when you get the amp in the mail, let us know what changes you notice, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back