Open Headphones $75-$125
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

philipt42

Head-Fier
I've been enjoying my AD-700s immensely, but the time has come for me to part with them and upgrade (they're listed here for $65, if anyone is interested). I'm looking for a similar sound that will still seem like an "upgrade". I love the soundstage of the AD-700s especially – I've never before been able to pick out individual instruments so clearly. 

I wish I could just get the AD-900, but it's a little out of reach budget wise. I would greatly prefer open cans, unless someone can recommend a closed headphone that doesn't sound boomy and uncomfortably close.

I listen to many sorts of music – from psychedelic rock to indie rock to post punk to folk to country to "americana" to some jazz. I love the sound of a well reproduced acoustic guitar, and bluegrass/folk/country/americana sounding good is a must
Thanks in advance.

Edit: anything on the AKG K240?

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:
Edit: anything on the AKG K240?

Actually, I'm listening to my K240 right now. I've owned two pairs, the Sextetts (currently) and the Studios (gone). I can say good things about both although I prefer the Sextett.

But, the Studio (which I assume is the one you're talking about) was a great headphone too, in my opinion. Especially in that price range. I loved the midrange on these, that was my favorite part. Otherwise, the highs were there, and the bass was decent if not a bit uncontrolled. They tightened up a bit with an amp. These were the most comfortable I've worn to date. I loved the K240 Studio with a vast array of music, although with a very small bit of my classical collection they were a bit too harsh for me in the upper/upper midrange. It was like they weren't 'real' sounding with strings on certain recordings. (Plus I prefer a smoother sound, but that's just me). But with rock and jazz, and pretty much everything else, I loved them. Vocals sounded wonderful on these, to me. And honestly, so did acoustic guitar. Anyway, just my experiences with them.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 22
I found a pair for $85 with an extra cable (made in Austria, not China) and jumped on it. Can't wait!

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
I found a pair for $85 with an extra cable (made in Austria, not China) and jumped on it. Can't wait!

Indeed they come with many accesories on the box, you made a nice choice. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Grados in the SR line have very little sound stage.

I've owned a pair of Grados and liked them, but I love me some soundstage!
Quote:

Indeed they come with many accesories on the box, you made a nice choice. 

I should clarify that I meant a third cable outside the two included. They do have nice accessories though, and I love the detachable cable, as I've broken many a pair of headphones by the cable.

Edit: thanks BrownBear, for the nice little review.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 22
I'd be interested in seeing the results. I have a feeling it might be a difference in durability more than sound from what I've heard.
Quote:
Excellent luck finding an Austrian pair. I'm considering hunting a pair down to do a comparison to the one I had that was made in China.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
I'd be interested in seeing the results. I have a feeling it might be a difference in durability more than sound from what I've heard.

Actually, yes. I'd agree with that. In fact, that's the reason I gave my pair away. The earcup cracked ever so slightly and I figured, it's not worth sending them away to get fixed, and I had enough headphones around. I just set my sights on finding a pair of Studios made in Austria instead and hope that the quality was better, because I did really like the sound.

Do give us some impressions when you get them.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Be ready for a pretty huge difference in sound. The AD700's are almost the total opposite of these: spacious and light on bass. The K240 has more of a closed sound due to the semi-open design and a ton of midbass. You've taken more of a sidestep than an upgrade. Still, the K240's are great headphones; I loved them when I had them!

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Be ready for a pretty huge difference in sound. The AD700's are almost the total opposite of these: spacious and light on bass. The K240 has more of a closed sound due to the semi-open design and a ton of midbass. You've taken more of a sidestep than an upgrade. Still, the K240's are great headphones; I loved them when I had them!

Yes the AD700 and the current batch of 240's are different in sound, but in the same general value class.  However, the old made in Austria and built to stand up in the studio for a decade or more 240's may well be in a different class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back