Open Back and/or BIg Headphones: Why the shame?!?
Sep 30, 2011 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

theguatemalian

Head-Fier
A week or two ago I discovered head-fi and I've been doing research on these forums since I've been getting into hifi more seriously lately. I'm loving the community and how helpful everyone has been with my noobish queries. Music to me is my home away from home. Once I'm immersed in the world of sound everything else fades out, hence why I am looking for the best sound for me.

Which leads me to the one thing that I guess confounds me a little, in many threads I've seen people talking about how open back or big headphones get you "stares" in public or people caring about what people think of their cans. 
rolleyes.gif

If you're enjoying the music if you're loving every second clinging to every note would you really sacrifice your prefered sound just to look good? Seems a little vain to me. 

I'm not bashing anyone directly I'd just like to hear some of the communities' thoughts on the subject. 

For those of you who don't care maybe share some anecdotes about what people have commented about your cans and how you've responded! 
o2smile.gif

Happy Listening Guys!

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 16
I personally don't care what my headphones look like as long as they sound good.

These Stax Lambdas I'm wearing now certainly wouldn't win any awards for aesthetic appeal, but I just can't do without their sound. On the other hand, I generally don't have to worry about getting strange looks and responses in public because I can't even use them portably-not because of the size, but because they're electrostatics that need a powerful amp and terminate in a proprietary plug anyway.

I could use some portable cans, though. AD700s are a bit too big (take up too much backpack space) and leak sound, which worries me more than the look, to be frank. Haven't decided on IEMs yet (mostly concerned about comfort), but I might consider picking up a balanced armature set for portability's sake.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't really care about how they look, but the problemo with big/open headphones is that they're not very practical for outside. Open headphones let noise out and in, and big ones are just too big and heavy.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 16
i don bring em out because im worried abt damaging my expensive headphones XD that and the LCD2s are inefficient and heavy. things that make it impossible to wear in public. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 16
in many threads I've seen people talking about how open back or big headphones get you "stares" in public or people caring about what people think of their cans

Probably staring because with open headphones music's leaking out like crazy...

Maybe also getting stared at because the poor bystanders are wondering why you dont get some real headphones, like some beats, and why you're listening to Justin Bieber when you're not a 12 year old girl.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 16
I was a punk in high school,  I was the kid who pissed the teachers off but made them laugh at the same time, So I know a thing or two about standing out and let me tell you, Don't give a ****, really it's just not worth it to worry about how silly you look, we are all fraking hilarious creatures.  Headphones aren't going to change that, If I had a portable amp I would be wearing my Q701's out because honestly if you care more about what people are thinking about you than you should be you are just blending in and there really just isn't time to be doing that. wear what sounds good, that is all you need to worry about.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 16
Big cans can lead to a conversation opener with the opposite sex in bars! - unbelievable but true.

It's happened to me a few times after work with my K601's, they're too big to fit into my
bag so I just wear them around my neck. The last line I heard was

"Soo, do you carry those around to block out any boring conversation?"

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Some of us have no shame.

It sure does come with it's own set of drawbacks - on the same night, I had a guy ask me 3 or 4 times why I was wearing such
big headphones in public, before I could answer, he suggests that I probably listen to nothing but top #40.

I mentioned that the current playlist (from work along with the head amp) ranged from Marvin Gaye, Nat King Cole to
Neil Young - he was taken aback!

Serves me right for wearing them out in public.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 16
theguatemalian I would love to send you my DX 1000 and see if you where willing to go out in the public with it. Think teletubbies but worse. Absolutely ridiculous. It´s not that heavy so that part isn´t that bad but you are bound to get caught in door posts with it.

As for vanity I think most humans has it. If not that a lot don´t want to bring all that attention that it would bring going out with ridiculously oversized headphones.

That said the LCD-2 in my library I would have no real issues with. However since it radiate about as much both ways it´s a horrendous idea and I should rightly get lynched trying to pull that stunt :wink:.Walking around with 550g on my head no way...

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 16
Same reason I dont wear big fleece slippers in public while draped in velvet ala seinfeld. Same reason I shake my head at fat women with belly shirts.

You never know who you run into so personally scaring off the opposite sex would be reason no.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back