"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #706 of 979
Thanks for your answer.

I used the foam from the original t50 and cut it to fit in the ear side baffle. The low end is not the issue, there is plenty, 4 bass holes are open.

The doggie treats method sounds promising. Any idea about the material.

Do you have the foam on the baffle on the ear side as well? This really helps quell the echos in the massive void of the Alpha Pads.

You could always try the "Doggie treats" method. It's what Mr.Speakers used to control the sound

Little squares stuck over the driver between the driver and ear.

If all else fails, instead of damping the highs, increase the lows. Sometimes really bright headphones are a symptom of over damping the driver, not allowing the big low frequency movements. Are the bass vent holes open? If so, how many? (It's been a few years since I had mine open, I can't remember what I have)

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #707 of 979
Thanks for your answer.

I used the foam from the original t50 and cut it to fit in the ear side baffle. The low end is not the issue, there is plenty, 4 bass holes are open.

The doggie treats method sounds promising. Any idea about the material.

From pictures I believe it's paxmate. Some sort of 4mm thick damping acoustic sticky foam from the pictures I've seen from back in the day.

I'm assuming these are mk3s?

You can always try felt in front as well instead of dog treats. Similar what Dan does with Ether/Aeons. I believe some modders were using this, might be more info on the incremental mods and measurements regarding what kind of felt.
Maybe @bluemonkeyflyer might know too (not sure why tagging isn't working for me)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #708 of 979
Yes mk3's. So I went for a single dogie treat for the middle part of the driver. I used the anti scratch felts used for chairs & tables.
I also used some tea filters and put them on top of the driver as well.

The highs smoothed out a bit. Need to play around a bit more...

From pictures I believe it's paxmate. Some sort of 4mm thick damping acoustic sticky foam from the pictures I've seen from back in the day.

I'm assuming these are mk3s?

You can always try felt in front as well instead of dog treats. Similar what Dan does with Ether/Aeons. I believe some modders were using this, might be more info on the incremental mods and measurements regarding what kind of felt.
Maybe @bluemonkeyflyer might know too (not sure why tagging isn't working for me)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #709 of 979
Yes I did.

IMG_20200820_124703.jpg

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #711 of 979
Did I start the Galaxy Blue trend? :)

I hope it keeps going. Can't really describe how awesome they look until they're right in front of you!

I took inspiration from you if your the guy from a few pages back.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #713 of 979
Yeah, I posted my cups that I had painted up a while ago, back when the Open Alpha was first released. LOVE THEM!

I had also made a set for a friend and found them to sound fantastic, most layered T50 mod I have heard to date.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #720 of 979
Thanks to MrSpeakers for sharing the open alphas.
Now i like my t50 a lot more 😍

I've bought another pair mk2 and want to remove the white adhesive tape at the back of the drivers to play around.
But before i want to ask which material i should buy if i dont like the sound. Is it glassfiber?

best regards,
Ivan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back