"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #691 of 979
This is awesome, I am really looking forward to seeing your cups!
I would be too... If urushi wasn't so expensive.... 350 usd before shipping to get what I want... Another 30 to make the urushi furo for curing...Lord knows how much I'll spend on sanding and brushes...

On other news, I've completly destroyed the foam I bought from mayflower lol

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #692 of 979
Yeah, I used abs and selected a matte black finish since the fostex cup video had a finish on the cups before the silver leafing was applied.

Thanks! I'm actually at home depot rn so this helps out a lot :0
Thanks for your answer. I just got quotation from facfox including polish and painting. 150USD. Seems a bit high? I have no reference point as it's the first time I ever dealt with 3d printing.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #693 of 979
Thanks for your answer. I just got quotation from facfox including polish and painting. 150USD. Seems a bit high? I have no reference point as it's the first time I ever dealt with 3d printing.

That's without shipping included too... Well, they usually have a discount code somewhere or if you don't mind waiting, a promo period will pop up soon. I got quoted around 100usd because of that.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #695 of 979
This might be an out of thread question, but from what I've gathered, the Open Alpha T50RP mod is what the Alpha Dogs was based on (please do correct me if I'm wrong there).

That being said, I saw from innerfidelity's frequency graphs that the Alpha Dogs appear to be similar to the Aeon Flow Open (something I've been looking at recently) as seen here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAlphaDog2014.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAeonFlowOpenonenotchwhitefilter.pdf

Given these frequency responses looking fairly similar (except for the Alpha Dog more subdued treble region and less mid-bass hump), would they be similar in tuning or tonal balance? If anyone who has tried both the Open Alpha / Alpha Dogs and the Aeon Flow that could chime in, I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

If this is not the right thread for this, please do let me know and I'll move it to the appropriate thread.

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #696 of 979
This might be an out of thread question, but from what I've gathered, the Open Alpha T50RP mod is what the Alpha Dogs was based on (please do correct me if I'm wrong there).

That being said, I saw from innerfidelity's frequency graphs that the Alpha Dogs appear to be similar to the Aeon Flow Open (something I've been looking at recently) as seen here:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAlphaDog2014.pdf

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAeonFlowOpenonenotchwhitefilter.pdf

Given these frequency responses looking fairly similar (except for the Alpha Dog more subdued treble region and less mid-bass hump), would they be similar in tuning or tonal balance? If anyone who has tried both the Open Alpha / Alpha Dogs and the Aeon Flow that could chime in, I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

If this is not the right thread for this, please do let me know and I'll move it to the appropriate thread.

Thanks!

The Open Alphas are modified Alpha Cups from Mr.Speakers. He didn't share everything the Alphas had, never mind the driver overhaul of the Primes.

I haven't tried both, but given they are the same driver and same cup, the only differences will be the specific tuning mods you do

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #699 of 979
How's it going guys. After staring at all the awesome builds in this thread I finally decided to build a set of my own. I went with 3.5mm input jack variant posted by jake452003 on thingiverse. I posted a few pics of the build here : https://imgur.com/a/Coh1jri

I really like the way the headphones sound. With the ZMF Eikon pads installed, I get some serious bass. I just put on a set of Dekoni Elite Hybrids and that tamed the bass nicely but increased the treble. I found a happy balance by putting some stiff felt in between the ear pad and the driver.

I picked up a leather comfort strap from Dan Clark Audio to give Dan a little bit of money as thanks for open sourcing his design.
Build13.jpg

Build14.jpg

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #700 of 979
How's it going guys. After staring at all the awesome builds in this thread I finally decided to build a set of my own. I went with 3.5mm input jack variant posted by jake452003 on thingiverse. I posted a few pics of the build here : https://imgur.com/a/Coh1jri

I really like the way the headphones sound. With the ZMF Eikon pads installed, I get some serious bass. I just put on a set of Dekoni Elite Hybrids and that tamed the bass nicely but increased the treble. I found a happy balance by putting some stiff felt in between the ear pad and the driver.

I picked up a leather comfort strap from Dan Clark Audio to give Dan a little bit of money as thanks for open sourcing his design.
Build13.jpg

Build14.jpg

Very nice build, I like the paint job! Did you get any other headphones to compare them against?

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #701 of 979
Beautifully done!
What material you used between the cups and the baffle? Looks like some kind of foam? The instructions talks about using silicone i think.

Build13.jpg

Build14.jpg

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #703 of 979
Very nice build, I like the paint job! Did you get any other headphones to compare them against?
I'm still messing around with the tuning, but I did compare them with a set of Fostex TH-X00. With the Dekoni Elite Hybrids/Stiff felt/thin felt, my open alphas sound nice and relaxed. The treble on the X00s are much more forward than the way I have my open alphas configured. The X00s have a stronger low end when I use the open alphas with the Dekoni elite hybrid pads. When I put the ZMF pads, the open alphas give the X00s a run for their money in the bass category.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #704 of 979
I just finished my build and I have sibilance and to much energy in the highs. I have the standard paxmate in the cubs. I tried with cotton balls and wool but I can't get the highs under control. I'm using alpha pads.

Any tips?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #705 of 979
I just finished my build and I have sibilance and to much energy in the highs. I have the standard paxmate in the cubs. I tried with cotton balls and wool but I can't get the highs under control. I'm using alpha pads.

Any tips?

Do you have the foam on the baffle on the ear side as well? This really helps quell the echos in the massive void of the Alpha Pads.

You could always try the "Doggie treats" method. It's what Mr.Speakers used to control the sound

Little squares stuck over the driver between the driver and ear.

If all else fails, instead of damping the highs, increase the lows. Sometimes really bright headphones are a symptom of over damping the driver, not allowing the big low frequency movements. Are the bass vent holes open? If so, how many? (It's been a few years since I had mine open, I can't remember what I have)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back