"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #721 of 979
Hello,

isnt it that the drivers of the MK2 and MK3 are exactly the same just the stock white dampening material is different and the MK2 dampening is considered superior?

However I read a lot of warnings regarding removing the white stock material.
I did it on mine (MK3) and must say its not that bad. It gives you a lot more tuning options. I had good experience using transpore tape (1-2 layers) or different kinds of felts in combination with transpore.

Thanks to MrSpeakers for sharing the open alphas.
Now i like my t50 a lot more 😍

I've bought another pair mk2 and want to remove the white adhesive tape at the back of the drivers to play around.
But before i want to ask which material i should buy if i dont like the sound. Is it glassfiber?

best regards,
Ivan

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #722 of 979
Hello,

i think you are right. both materials look identical. How do you tuned your mk3 open alpha? Like described in the first post of MrSpeakers but without the white tape on the back?

regards,
Ivan

Oct 9, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #723 of 979
i´m searching for some cheap earpads for my Open Alphas.
First off all Brainwavz come to mind.
However, the selection is very large and i can´t decide which one to choose. Oval pleather, hybrid, perforated, sheepskin, microsuede ... ?

Any recommendations?

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #724 of 979
What are your recommendations for good quality paint brands, types, & sources? I picked up a pair of AEON RTs, which are now my daily drivers. So I decided to rebuild my Open Alphas with Hirose connectors, set screw bass adjustment, and (hopefully) a better finish quality than I was able to reach before. Maybe a candy apple red or a deep metallic blue instead of the flat black I had to settle for last time. I'm printing my own cups in PLA, planning to use Rust-Oleum sandable filler/primer (and lots of fine sanding) to prep the cups for painting. But the range of colors (especially cool metallic colors) is pretty limited at local hardware stores. Is there a level up in quality and variety of colors that I can order online?

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #725 of 979
i´m searching for some cheap earpads for my Open Alphas.
First off all Brainwavz come to mind.
However, the selection is very large and i can´t decide which one to choose. Oval pleather, hybrid, perforated, sheepskin, microsuede ... ?

Any recommendations?

I use the Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin pads on mine, I got them on sale for £25. No regrets.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #726 of 979
Hi, sorry for the noobish question but I can’t find an answer anywhere - is there a technical difference between the t20, t40 and t50 as a basis for this mod? I ask, because the t40 and especially t20 are considerably cheaper here in Germany,

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #727 of 979
Hi, sorry for the noobish question but I can’t find an answer anywhere - is there a technical difference between the t20, t40 and t50 as a basis for this mod? I ask, because the t40 and especially t20 are considerably cheaper here in Germany,
Nope, the t20 / t40 / t50 / t60 all use the same driver, the only thing that's different between them is the actual cup and the baffle foams! You'd get the same result if you use any of them to make an open alpha

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #728 of 979
Nope, the t20 / t40 / t50 / t60 all use the same driver, the only thing that's different between them is the actual cup and the baffle foams! You'd get the same result if you use any of them to make an open alpha
Thanks! Going to pull the trigger now, so keen to get this project rolling. I hope the cups turn out as great as the raw PLA looks (Venom Green), will post once done.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #731 of 979
I'm sure there are some out there that would fit, but easiest would be to just look for some STL files meant for 3.5mm. I am unsure about the forum's policy on links, but there is a user on thingiverse that has posted free STL files for 3.5mm jacks, so just search there.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #732 of 979
I'm sure there are some out there that would fit, but easiest would be to just look for some STL files meant for 3.5mm. I am unsure about the forum's policy on links, but there is a user on thingiverse that has posted free STL files for 3.5mm jacks, so just search there.
Thanks buddy.
I've had a quick look but the only ones I could see on there (with 3.5mm connectors) were the ones with the 'bass screw' modification.
Ideally I want to keep these as close to the Mr Speakers originals as possible (but with 3.5mm connectors).

It could well be the case that I didn't search thingiverse thoroughly enough, so I'll have another look on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back