"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Apr 17, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #661 of 979
The headphones look awesome, like real wood. How they sound?.

Thanks a lot! It took me quite some time to achieve this finish.

The sound is a bit tighter now, because I reduced the cup volume and put less dampening wool inside. The soundstage is a little bit smaller, just a tiny bit, but they don't sound cuppy anymore which is awesome.

I also redesigned cup holes so they move freely now, which immensely improved their fit and comfort.

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #662 of 979
Does anyone know a US company that will print but also do a stellar paint job?

Facfox in China did a good job but one of the screw holes came off when i was trying to get the screw in. I ordered a second but it was not to the same standard and because of coronavirus they refunded me.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #663 of 979
May 14, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #664 of 979
Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring, too - these are the ones I made!

KcP35Hz.jpg

May 23, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #666 of 979
So its time for round two. Something I noted: this time I got the cups through the shapeways link rather than facfox. They're significantly better printed. That cost, though.... So deciding between color shift blue/purple and candy red. I like them both but leaning towards red. Any opinions?

IMG_0918[4677].jpg

May 28, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #670 of 979
May 28, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #671 of 979
Beautiful! Looks like you and me used the same hifiman cable :)

What are those pads? They look comfy.
I know this is like forever ago, and I'm sorry. If I come here too often I end up expanding my collection. Fine by me, but my wallet disagrees ( : I promise to repent of my sins and come back often from now on.

They were some random Amazon purchase. "Misodiko [Upgradged Lambskin Leather]" was in the title. Wouldn't really recommend. They just didn't sit right for my ear at least.
The cable was indeed a hifiman cable. Probably a cheap-ish replica. Had a hard time finding one if memory serves.

Ended up swapping them out with a few others. Just ordered authentic Alpha pads. Hopefully those will curb my craving for comfort and listening bliss.

May 30, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #673 of 979
Finished with round two. Sound checks are complete. Did a mark 2 this time instead of a mark three. Still made some mistakes...perhaps round three will be the charm?

IMG_0921.jpg

May 30, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #675 of 979
Headphones look great. How they sound compare to previous MK3?.

Well I had read some positive reports of the mark 2 vs the mark 3 so I was anticipating some good changes. After listening, it sounds...more or less the same. I did manage to avoid a 7k dip that I had in the previous build (im sure due to my build and not the mark 3), but as far as sound stage, imaging, tone...not a big difference to my ears. I'll do some full listening tonight after the family goes to bed, but I don't anticipate any revelations. I would say that if you want to do this project you'd be happy with either a mark 2 or 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back