"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Mar 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #646 of 979
Very nice job! Did you paint them yourself? And how much wool are you using? Mine have pretty much the whole cup filled with it. They sound quite tick, with some detail in the upper registers.

they’re painted with a few layers of rust oleum hammered, with some clear shell over that. The cup is fairly filled with wool, but not ‘packed’ in, just a light inner layer. Definitely U shaped right now.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #647 of 979
they’re painted with a few layers of rust oleum hammered, with some clear shell over that. The cup is fairly filled with wool, but not ‘packed’ in, just a light inner layer. Definitely U shaped right now.
Nice!
I still need to tune mine, but tbh I really like them as they are currently. I wish I could compare them against other people's open alphas.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #651 of 979
What makes the mk2 driver better?
First thing you notice when you put the MK2 headphones version on is the sound stage, it opens up wider, airy and spacious. To my ears the vocals of the singers are ways better more clear, relax,sweeter and intimacy, it rivals or sounds better than my HD650 ( only vocals intimacy, sonically it beats the hell out of HD650 ). To some songs or live recording concerts you can feel the singers at a distance but the their voices penetrate your ears like you wearing 2 speakers, it is fantastic. I modded both versions exactly the same ( i have modded my Mass Drop TX-O and the sound are similar, but the sound stage even wider).

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #652 of 979
First thing you notice when you put the MK2 headphones version on is the sound stage, it opens up wider, airy and spacious. To my ears the vocals of the singers are ways better more clear, relax,sweeter and intimacy, it rivals or sounds better than my HD650 ( only vocals intimacy, sonically it beats the hell out of HD650 ). To some songs or live recording concerts you can feel the singers at a distance but the their voices penetrate your ears like you wearing 2 speakers, it is fantastic. I modded both versions exactly the same ( i have modded my Mass Drop TX-O and the sound are similar, but the sound stage even wider).

Interesting that an older version sounds so much better. On my round drivers t20s I have that speaker sensation as well, in fact after listening to them for a long while I moved to my living room setup and the actual speakers sounded thin to a point I wondered if something was wrong with them... In fact I heard these round drivers are better than the newer square ones, but unfortunately I have no means to compare them right now.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #653 of 979
Interesting that an older version sounds so much better. On my round drivers t20s I have that speaker sensation as well, in fact after listening to them for a long while I moved to my living room setup and the actual speakers sounded thin to a point I wondered if something was wrong with them... In fact I heard these round drivers are better than the newer square ones, but unfortunately I have no means to compare them right now.
There are arguments in the forum which drivers are better between MK2 and MK3. Mr Speaker Dan Clark built the Alpha Dog based on MK2, after Foster stop manufacture MK2 and he stopped modding them. I am working on my T20v2 45mm round drivers and will let you know how it compares to my 2 Alpha Dogs.

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #654 of 979
There are arguments in the forum which drivers are better between MK2 and MK3. Mr Speaker Dan Clark built the Alpha Dog based on MK2, after Foster stop manufacture MK2 and he stopped modding them. I am working on my T20v2 45mm round drivers and will let you know how it compares to my 2 Alpha Dogs.
Awesome, I didn't know you had also round drivers in house! How are you modding them?

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #655 of 979
Awesome, I didn't know you had also round drivers in house! How are you modding them?
Here are few pictures, i bought the housing from ali express and still waiting for some materials.I tested its sounds good but will take sometimes before i finish it
0324201057.jpg
0324201411.jpg
0324201413.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #656 of 979
Here are few pictures, i bought the housing from ali express and still waiting for some materials.I tested its sounds good but will take sometimes before i finish it

Hey, I was talking about this housing in the ortho headphones thread! The headphones look finished already, I guess you only need earpads. I got the Brainwavz round ones, they're alright but quite hard to fit. The problem is the stock round baffle, it is a bit too wide to put the earpads around it, and almost impossible to set them under it due to the set screws. In my new design I am hoping to solve that, I should be done today.

Apr 17, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #657 of 979
Hey, I was talking about this housing in the ortho headphones thread! The headphones look finished already, I guess you only need earpads. I got the Brainwavz round ones, they're alright but quite hard to fit. The problem is the stock round baffle, it is a bit too wide to put the earpads around it, and almost impossible to set them under it due to the set screws. In my new design I am hoping to solve that, I should be done today.
I am looking for an aluminum rod to mod for the Fostex headband and waiting for ears pads. Will playing around with the damping and see what is the best mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back