"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #556 of 979
I finally decided to follow this guide a week or so ago, all the parts finally arrived today and I can't wait to assemble everything when I get home again.
Here are some pictures of the parts I had printed on a SLA printer:
m_V74ySnjFY69erCUVKNpNH6wcAB8FfQk5H3-vJ_WarhSjSJFkI9sL2sClAFQ68s_FzUEUGFTfPurQbrPsr6cJCnnneam2431C5Gg5-92wgipmqoAKgP4UoYXedZJr5FCZCgtlsgyw=w2400

YX86e8G.jpg

PZSBZzG.jpg

X0VZyDS.jpg

lSdGlcd.jpg

a7YbfbR.jpg

I used facfox to get them printed, they were relatively inexpensive (£80 for everything) and included in the price they sanded painted and polished the parts.

I am considering getting black ABS and then doing acetone? how many ports for decent mid bass? They did an excellent job for that price almost looks like the original color. Some candy red spray would look awesome!

sidenote: I think the Mayflower kit also has materials similar to what is used in the original Alpha.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #558 of 979
I am considering getting black ABS and then doing acetone? how many ports for decent mid bass? They did an excellent job for that price almost looks like the original color. Some candy red spray would look awesome!

sidenote: I think the Mayflower kit also has materials similar to what is used in the original Alpha.

Acetone vapour bathing abs would look pretty good I imagine, not sure what paint was used on mine though.
I have blocked 2 ports to get better subbass, mid bass was already pretty good :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #559 of 979
I have the classic mad dog and ether flow 1.1, smeggy thunder pants and LCD2Classics

I just made the alpha diy(t50rpmk3 driver)

And now this is the best headphone I have heard..

The bass is so deep that I feel is impossible.. It just goes limitless deep.
Mids are really good(ether wins here by margin)
Treble is also flawless..

The soundstage was really to big for a closed back.

The only think which told me this headphone is a closed back is the isolation over open..

And I think it isolates more than t50rp stock

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #560 of 979
I have the classic mad dog and ether flow 1.1, smeggy thunder pants and LCD2Classics

The only think which told me this headphone is a closed back is the isolation over open..

What tuning did you do if you don't mind me asking?

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #562 of 979

I feel same way about my MK2 and MK3 thunderpants.

MK3 was easier tune with more mid bass.
MK2 pictured here was harder to tune but has extreme detail, and tremendous sub bass.

They layering on both puts some $1500+ headphones I have had to shame.

What would also be cool.if Mr.Speakers sold a complete kit! I had the Alpha Prime and Ori but would love a Alpha Dog.

IMG_20191011_181640.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #563 of 979
I feel same way about my MK2 and MK3 thunderpants.

MK3 was easier tune with more mid bass.
MK2 pictured here was harder to tune but has extreme detail, and tremendous sub bass.

They layering on both puts some $1500+ headphones I have had to shame.

What would also be cool.if Mr.Speakers sold a complete kit! I had the Alpha Prime and Ori but would love a Alpha Dog.

What jacks did you use with the wood cups? 2.5mm? I'm trying to source components for my Vibro Labs X Wabi Sabi build. I have to have a detachable cable. I ordered the cups and I don't know what size the hole for the cable is (diameter, depth, enlargability, etc). Will a standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack fit?

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #564 of 979
What jacks did you use with the wood cups? 2.5mm? I'm trying to source components for my Vibro Labs X Wabi Sabi build. I have to have a detachable cable. I ordered the cups and I don't know what size the hole for the cable is (diameter, depth, enlargability, etc). Will a standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack fit?

Hi Philmores, I'll get the exact drill size but i worked my way from small to large drill bit. The last one allows the connector to push in and then when it gets to thread it needs a tap in.
I secured with a small bit of hot-glue the inside on both sides so if the connector ever goes bad it's serviceable and it also allows the tuning felt to sit behind. You also have to balanced between the angle and keeping it straight.
I also dremmeled some of the baffle as the connector is at a slight angle so it looks neat on the outside. I have done 3 of these now. I

End result is secure, due to cup with there are some limitations as to what can be used. I had hoped for a V2 with slightly wider cup and straight edge so a mini xlr could sit flush but I do like the fact I can use cables from a HD700 etc which are in plentiful supply.

https://www.cheapham.com/2-5mm-mono-isolated-panel-mounted-jack/
might also use this connector on my Open Alpha I am getting facfox to make in gloss black.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #565 of 979
@Balazar was it you that did the redesign of the cup to fit the 2.5/3.5 jacks?

I have one getting made up as cables are easier to source.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #566 of 979
Hey Balazar, love the bass port redesign. Hope you don't mind, I made a quick remix for use with 2.5mm and 3.5mm connectors and thickened up the connector wall a bit. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2326371.

I've printed a couple of cups out successfully and will test out the bass port shortly.

Actually I think I grabbed these files, they work okay with original baffle?

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #567 of 979
I did not make the mod for the 2.5/3.5mm Jack. I changed the original to have the set screw adjustable bass ports. I posted editable (gnu public license) CAD files. Another thingiverse member remixed my files to do the 2.5/3.5mm jack mod.

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #569 of 979
Yes they work just like the original.

Bass mod is excellent idea. I think it was the alpha dog that had the port and it was blocked on the prime which I previously owned.

I am having facfox make two sets. It'll be 100% fill and he said the finish will be too notch. It worked out at $104 each which is good as they're sanded, painted. Gray and Blue.

Does anyone know if they gave out the plans for the little plastic protectors for the rail?

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #570 of 979
I am having facfox make two sets. It'll be 100% fill.

Does anyone know if they gave out the plans for the little plastic protectors for the rail?

I have done two sets at lower fill. 15 and 20%. There is a video of Mr Speakers on YouTube explaining that the FDM 3d printing process creates a hollow shell. Meaning hollow inside the walls of the cups, and this helps create the isolation and sound. If you look at a 3d printed object mid way through the printing process you will see a honeycomb or cross hatch infill pattern that creates thousands of tiny individual chambers or one big chamber filled with stacked cross hatched bars. It all depends on the print settings. I've never considered 100%. I wonder what the sound, isolation, and weight differences are? I'm sure they will turn out well and look beautiful.

I haven't seen replacement rail clips, but I could model some easily enough. Do you just need replacement parts or were you wanting something custom or cosmetic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back