"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Nov 19, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #92 of 979
Shouldn't be too hard to edit the files if the original CAD files are uploaded. I am hoping to do some extra design stuff on the outside of the cups myself on those files too... Modifying the .stl´s would probably be painful, though.

If you still consider connectors then I guess I found sources for the Hirose jacks. If I guess correctly, then Hirose HR10A-7P-4P and -4S should work. Can be found on Mouser, Digikey. Aliexpress should have a set for around 8$

http://tinyurl.com/hdbrjaq

Important note: I haven't tried them myself yet, it just seems to me like they should fit. Double and triple check before buying, or wait for someone to report back if they work or not :)

Well if that is indeed the right serial number, then I can get those for $7 on amazon prime jp... I already bought some 2.5mm jacks from ebay and should get here 1 week before o have the print room reserved, hoping that I could modify it, but it would be better to have a flush look and higher quality connectors.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #97 of 979
sound is quite good 
still needs some tuning 
baffle is not properly sealed but bass is nicely detailed
mids are good, highs slightly rolled back
much better than my crappy modding efforts
the difference is night and day

Nov 21, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #99 of 979

They look great already! How did you finish the cups? Also, did you use the Hirose connectors? Any suggestions where to source them?
Many thanks in advance for any insights you will be sharing on your experience so far! Thanks!

thanks

cups are just sanded and wiped with a bit of vegetable oil
connectors are 3.5mm rean inlines, they just push right in there, i'll probably
glue them at some point, $1.28 from marlertek
after some pad rolling, they sound fantastic with the HM5 pleathers
isolation is excellent, soundstage is huge,
i've been passing them around at work.. big smiles from everyone who hears them

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #100 of 979
What is the benefit of using a Hirose connector rather than a standard connector? I think it would be easier to fit Mini-XLR or female 3.5mm ports on each ear, but only due to not finding any information about the Hirose online. I could only find a couple niche forum posts from a couple years back, and from what I read it sounded moderately difficult to properly solder a Hirose port. I'm decent at soldering, but by no means a complete pro. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #101 of 979
Hirose clone connectors are available from Mr. Speakers himself as he stated earlier in this thread. I bought a set from his website. They are also available from ali express as another member posted earlier in this same thread.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #102 of 979
  What is the benefit of using a Hirose connector rather than a standard connector? I think it would be easier to fit Mini-XLR or female 3.5mm ports on each ear, but only due to not finding any information about the Hirose online. I could only find a couple niche forum posts from a couple years back, and from what I read it sounded moderately difficult to properly solder a Hirose port. I'm decent at soldering, but by no means a complete pro. Any info greatly appreciated, thanks

Dan stated that the Mini-XLR are longer and will touch the wearer's shoulder. Also, I hates them. They are fragile and clumsy to use. The Hirose style are smaller, stronger, easier to assemble (except for the crimp ring). The only negative is availability of some versions (basically the mate to the connector Dan uses on the cables) and the weight. You will not find another connector with it's density and ease of use.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #103 of 979
Hirose clone connectors are available from Mr. Speakers himself as he stated earlier in this thread. I bought a set from his website. They are also available from ali express as another member posted earlier in this same thread.

Could you please confirm the size/diameter of the correct Hirose connectors to buy?

As far as I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong, the versions with 4 pins are available in two different sizes:

- internal plug/jack diameter of 7mm and external connector diameter of about 12mm (HR10A-7P-4P & 4S)
- internal plug/jack diameter of 9.5mm and external connector diameter of about 15mm (HR10A-10P-4P & 4S)

Which jack would fit better in the Alpha cups?
Which version did you get from MrSpeakers store?

Many thanks!

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #104 of 979
Ask mrspeakers, he only has 1 type of male and female on his website. I would rather buy from him even if it ends up costing a few $$$ more than ali express, support the guy supporting the DIY community :wink:

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #105 of 979
Fair answer... although I was just asking out of curiosity, since I'm currently not even planning to go through the project in the foreseeable future.
This info would certainly be useful to those trying to source the hirose connectors locally, rather than having to wait for extended international delivery times... unless one would be willing to pay $20 or more for the expedited shipment of a few connectors only!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back