"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Nov 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #76 of 979
Kk ABS it is....

I have a few different pads I will try out... And if I really like how they turn out, ill probably rebuy whatever pads I leave on them... I decided that I would go with a 2.5mm connector, I can get two male and females for 5 bringing this whole test project to $35. Im hoping that they turn out well and I won't break the bank trying.

Just gotta edit the file to make the hole smaller

pla is easier to print, i have a bunch of abs and i'm going to start with that, there are all kinds of new pla + type filaments out there best to do some research

i'm doing something similar, i have 3 headphones set up to take the 2.5mm plug, it will be simple to mod the cup in tinkercad
i may make a plug to fit the existing hole and the jack for a 2 tone look

printed the baffle and pad ring in abs, came out great, looks like its made to fit the alpha pads, and hm5 pad will not fit
you may have to do some tweaking to that file also

going to start the cups tonite

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #78 of 979
So stoked to do this build!  My very first 3d print job ever is ready to be printed by the shop...  New grado gimbals and posts
cool.gif
, crossed fingers!  I wanted an Alpha mod for the entire time they were in production- cheers to MrSpeakers for open sourcing these files.  That is a really nice move!

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #79 of 979
I Just ordered some of Dan's Alpha Parts and the Fostex's are on My porch. I will get the cups printed soon. I was not even in the Market for Closed Cans I was in the Market for Open ones and now...

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #80 of 979
  I Just ordered some of Dan's Alpha Parts and the Fostex's are on My porch. I will get the cups printed soon. I was not even in the Market for Closed Cans I was in the Market for Open ones and now...

...and now you make your own MrSpeakers cans, never thought the day would be eh

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #83 of 979

...and now you make your own MrSpeakers cans, never thought the day would be eh

I heard rmoody's ether c's and was utterly impressed so When he alerted me to this I dove in head first.I can see why the fostex cans are candidates for mods and why dan chose them. A diamond in the rough. if you get past piercing highs. there is a a lot of detail and a very good range. I stuffed some poly fill that I use for the Reef tank in the cups out of curiosity. there is a noticeable difference.  I may mess around with these over the weekend just to see the possibilities before they get scrapped.

Edit- Left the TR 40's hooked up to my DAP when I went to bed and now cant sleep so of course I decided of course to check on them . The Glaring highs have balanced out I adjusted the polyfill Placement and thickness . Much Much much better . I will get to the 3D printing step in a few weeks. I am curious what the Mr Speakers Alpha Pads will do for the sound. 

Note on Soldering Irons.  I used to work Installing electronics for company a that built LED displays. We used 15 watt Soldering irons to decrease the risk of messing up the Solder pads thus bricking the LED Array. It takes a little longer to get the solder to melting point but it was rare to have a detached pad and slowing down is not so much a bad thing. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #84 of 979
  pla is easier to print, i have a bunch of abs and i'm going to start with that, there are all kinds of new pla + type filaments out there best to do some research

i'm doing something similar, i have 3 headphones set up to take the 2.5mm plug, it will be simple to mod the cup in tinkercad
i may make a plug to fit the existing hole and the jack for a 2 tone look

printed the baffle and pad ring in abs, came out great, looks like its made to fit the alpha pads, and hm5 pad will not fit
you may have to do some tweaking to that file also

going to start the cups tonite

Are you sure the HM5 pads wont fit? They can fit my T50RP MKIII where their lip slide into the slit in the baffle. In this baffle assembly there is a similar slit between the two parts, and given that this assembly should fit the original cups (.... how you create a Mad Dog Pro), then I would reason that the dimensions are near identical and therefore the HM5 pads should fit this assembly too.

I'm looking to do the print in a week or so, then I guess I will find out :)

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #85 of 979
Amazing.

What a great community

Thanks Dan

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #86 of 979
Kk ABS it is....

I have a few different pads I will try out... And if I really like how they turn out, ill probably rebuy whatever pads I leave on them... I decided that I would go with a 2.5mm connector, I can get two male and females for 5 bringing this whole test project to $35. Im hoping that they turn out well and I won't break the bank trying.

Just gotta edit the file to make the hole smaller

Shouldn't be too hard to edit the files if the original CAD files are uploaded. I am hoping to do some extra design stuff on the outside of the cups myself on those files too... Modifying the .stl´s would probably be painful, though.

If you still consider connectors then I guess I found sources for the Hirose jacks. If I guess correctly, then Hirose HR10A-7P-4P and -4S should work. Can be found on Mouser, Digikey. Aliexpress should have a set for around 8$

http://tinyurl.com/hdbrjaq

Important note: I haven't tried them myself yet, it just seems to me like they should fit. Double and triple check before buying, or wait for someone to report back if they work or not :)

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #87 of 979

Are you sure the HM5 pads wont fit? They can fit my T50RP MKIII where their lip slide into the slit in the baffle. In this baffle assembly there is a similar slit between the two parts, and given that this assembly should fit the original cups (.... how you create a Mad Dog Pro), then I would reason that the dimensions are near identical and therefore the HM5 pads should fit this assembly too.

I'm looking to do the print in a week or so, then I guess I will find out :)

i tried it again, i was able to stretch it over the the pad ring but its tight
and i don't have the assembly glued together yet
it will be a tight squeeze, the mk2 had no such ring
the pads stretched around the outer cup, i tore a set 
putting them on and have been hesitant ever since

on a different not these files are great and they printed easily with my normal settings
you don't always get the best of files off the download sites and it can be tough to make your own
if you're not a cad expert, these are the real deal production files

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #88 of 979
  i tried it again, i was able to stretch it over the the pad ring but its tight
and i don't have the assembly glued together yet
it will be a tight squeeze, the mk2 had no such ring
the pads stretched around the outer cup, i tore a set 
putting them on and have been hesitant ever since

on a different not these files are great and they printed easily with my normal settings
you don't always get the best of files off the download sites and it can be tough to make your own
if you're not a cad expert, these are the real deal production files

Ok, thanks for trying it out. I have fitted HM5 pads on both MK2 and MK3 cans and that is indeed a very tight fit where you need to stretch the pads a lot. I imagine its the same situation here then and will report back when I have tried it for myself.

Good to hear about the quality of the files. I haven't tried to print them yet, but they definitely seem to be a good and solid design to me too.

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #90 of 979

Shouldn't be too hard to edit the files if the original CAD files are uploaded. I am hoping to do some extra design stuff on the outside of the cups myself on those files too... Modifying the .stl´s would probably be painful, though.

If you still consider connectors then I guess I found sources for the Hirose jacks. If I guess correctly, then Hirose HR10A-7P-4P and -4S should work. Can be found on Mouser, Digikey. Aliexpress should have a set for around 8$

http://tinyurl.com/hdbrjaq

Important note: I haven't tried them myself yet, it just seems to me link they should fit. Double and triple check before buying, or wait for someone to report back if they work or not :)

That's a good find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back