"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #48 of 979
  +1 to what bluemonkeyflyer wrote.

Are there still plans to release the editable CAD files at some point? The .stl´s look great, but I believe I could use connectors that are much easier to get my hands on for a first experimental build, so I am looking to change the cups a little. That would be much easier with a CAD file compared to working directly on the .stl´s (fingers crossed for SolidWorks, but I will work with what I can get :) ).

Im definitely considering doing a video, but cant promise if or when I get the time at this point.

We'll look into releasing a file that can be edited.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #49 of 979
  Soo, have a buddy with a 3d printer. He's wondering if you printing the cups without support and what printer settings you may could provide us (layer height, support, fill density, etc). I know you said you would not be supporting the thread, but I figured I'd ask anyway. It could be helpful to many of us.

We generally used the highest resolution possible on layers.  It takes longer to print, but there is less sanding and prep and the parts are generally easier to work with.  

One tip, when you use ABS after you sand you may want to wipe the parts down with acetone, a quick wash will help fuse the filament together and ensure the parts are good and strong.  Let it cure for a day after acetone. Do this outside, of course.  

For fill density we usually run with a low density fill to reduce weight and improve the isolation.  Support is essential on the cups, it's not needed for the baffle or ring if you do your orientation correctly.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #55 of 979
thank you so much for this
i've never been able to get a decent sounding tr50p mod

i have some hatchbox wood pla i've had good luck with grado style cups
sands and finishes like wood

here we go

thanks again

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #56 of 979
The wave guide designed by ZGLISZCZ would be interesting to try with Open Alpha.  You can find that here.  

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #57 of 979
What kind of all thickness infill is run? I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, if it was my apologies

Light infill for weight reduction and better isolation between inner and outer shell.  Supports for the cup.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #59 of 979
Finished them.

After test printing both L and R side my printer is ready to print two at a time.

Do share printer settings, model, and materials with the class. Please.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #60 of 979
Great, now, thanks to this I can start my own company, audiophile headphones specially designed to listen mexican music, I'll name it "Sr.Altavoces"

New model "Sr.Altavoces Flow Mariachi" is expected to arrive in january 2017, I can almost visualize the Stereophile review:

"My close friend Pablo, instantly fell in love, maracas never sounded so good! He wanted the half of his family to have a pair, so he bought 150 pairs"

Just kidding, but wouldn't be amazing? 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back