only hearing out of one side of my headphones when i connect a mini-to-mini between my iphone 3g and rsa shadow amp. please help!
May 10, 2010 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hawpunch

Head-Fier
i have an iphone 3g, jh13 pro with twag cable, twag mini-to-mini, and an alo iphone cryo cable.  i just used the new twag mini to mini but when i insert one side of it all the way into the headphone jack on my iphone 3g, and i insert the other end all the way into my rsa shadow amp, i only get sound coming out of one side of my jh13 pro.  however, when i insert the end of the mini to mini only partially into the rsa shadow amp, i get sound in both sides of my jh13 pro.  when i put my jh13 pro all the way into the headphone jack of my iphone 3g, i get sound in both sides of my jh13 pro.  i also get sound on both sides of my jh13 pro when i use the alo iphone cryo cable that connects from the dock connector on my iphone 3g, and insert the mini all the way into my rsa shadow amp.  does anyone know what the problem maybe?  thanks!

May 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 14
sounds like a problem with the twag mini cable.

May 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 14
nah the twag is new.  in fact, craig from whiplash was gracious enough to send me a replacement and i'm getting the same effect.  btw, i would highly recommend craig from whiplash for all your audiophile needs.  the guy is amazing! great products and service.

momomo6789 - i'm going to be dumb and ask what you mean by pull the plug out a little :)?  you mean on the rsa shadow? it kills me though because the twag mini-to-mini with my iphone 3g and rsa shadow was working fine. and it works fine when i use the alo iphone cable and put the mini connector all the way into the rsa shadow.  its making me go crazy cause i don't know where the problem is.

May 11, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Why would you ever use a mini-mini from the headphone out on the iPhone when you have a lod cable ?
Obviously not that it solves your problem, just curious. I have experienced similar problems with certain 1/8" male TRS plugs with certain units and never found any other soloution than not using that particular combination.

May 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Sometimes headphone jacks just don't work with some jacks. Just don't use that combo. You have other cables anyway. That said.... use the LOD man. I can't imagine not using an LOD on my iPod, the sound is just horrible in comparison.

When I first was out on the market for a portable amp, I turned away an Icon Mobile because I thought it sounded horrible using the mini to mini. It's only after I used an LOD that I found amps to actually be worth something.

May 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 14
well, i tend to use the mini-mini when i have to charge my iphone 3g and want to use the amp and listen to music at the same time.  otherwise, while i'm not charging the iphone 3g at work, i'll use the lod :).  if only apple had created a dedicated charging port into their iphone, then i wouldn't have this problem. 

thanks for the insight guys.  i guess i may have to not use my amp during charging sessions at work while i use my headhphones :frowning2:.

May 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 14
As I read the OP the problem is in the amp end not the iPhone end and normally 3 pole TSR works fine in the iPhone

May 12, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 14
i think that's part of the problem.  i can't determine whether the connection problem is with the iphone, the amp, or just the cable, especially since i have very limited technical expertise in this area.  sigh. 

May 13, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 14
actually Jan, the iphone does create a problem with some minijacks, I have had to 'repair' a couple of cables that although well made and perfectly functional, will not work properly in that HP jack. this was very confusing as well, because they tested perfectly here with multimeter and listening test before shipping, though on arrival seeming to have a problem, then sent back to me and tested perfectly in my gear. one time before I realized this issue with the iphone, I replaced a cable twice and paid for fast return shipping on both occasions, only to have the same problem, even though both returned cables were fully functional on arrival when used with other equipment. in fact the issue seems to be so borderline that there is even a difference from one iphone to another. so I dont use that mini anymore.

that being said, without examining the gear myself its hard for me to give you a definite appraisal of which is the culprit in your case. but it is very likely a problem with the coupling of the 2 specific connectors, rather than the connectors or cables themselves

May 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 14
does it also work when the mini is pushed IN slightly further? when pulling it out a bit like that, you are not actually hearing a stereo signal, but rather a single signal (most likely left) shared between the 2 contacts for left and right

May 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 14
qusp - thanks for your great insight and the verification that i'm not going crazy here :).  i can push it in slightly more into the rsa shadow amp, and hear sounds from both sides of my jh13 pro, but once i push the mini in all the way, then the sound only comes out from one side :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back