Onkyo ND-S1 iPod dock
Mar 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #121 of 256
Having had this for several weeks and having run it in over many hours, i have compared it to the original stock psu.

Equipment used for the comparison:
Ipod 160gb 7g, optical (ixos) cable from nd-s1 to dacmagic and then to Stax sr303 plus energiser (van den hul cables).

The difference are (to me) marked, there is a less brash, more delicate sound with more detail and space (you may obtain less noticable results with less revealing headphones) - altogether a worthwhile if expensive item and one i did try to source a cheaper upgrade psu in the UK without success.

Given Russ Andrews gives a 60 day return policy it makes sense for anyone to try it and while i expected to send it back having read the comments about the cost etc. of the russ andrews psu replacements, i shall actually be keeping it, still cheaper than the stock wadia.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #122 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by magical_mouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having had this for several weeks and having run it in over many hours, i have compared it to the original stock psu.

Equipment used for the comparison:
Ipod 160gb 7g, optical (ixos) cable from nd-s1 to dacmagic and then to Stax sr303 plus energiser (van den hul cables).

The difference are (to me) marked, there is a less brash, more delicate sound with more detail and space (you may obtain less noticable results with less revealing headphones) - altogether a worthwhile if expensive item and one i did try to source a cheaper upgrade psu in the UK without success.

Given Russ Andrews gives a 60 day return policy it makes sense for anyone to try it and while i expected to send it back having read the comments about the cost etc. of the russ andrews psu replacements, i shall actually be keeping it, still cheaper than the stock wadia.

So you bought the RA PSU? Does it buzz? Because my RA PSU for DacMagic does and its very annoying.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #123 of 256
no, if it had it would have been returned, suggest you send yours back under guarantee, i once sent a headphone cable back under the lifetime warranty.

I did have a buzzy psu from another supplier which went back and was replaced by a non-buzzing psu, it is inevitable that some will buzz unless all are tested for longer than is feasible at the manufacturing stage.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #124 of 256
I'd considering buying this product, but it depends on a few factors.

Can any ND-S1 owners please help me with the following question:

I'd like to connect this unit to my Cambridge DacMagic DA-converter (which will be connected to a portable headphone amp). Is it possible to navigate through the iPod menus, albums, playlists etc. (using the remote Onkyo control or the touch wheel on the iPod) without having to connect it to an A/V amplifier?

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #125 of 256
With the provided remote, no. You can play/pause the current song, or skip forward and backwards a song, playlist, or album at a time (or turn shuffle and/or repeat on/off), but you can't navigate through the menus.

The touch wheel still has full functionality when docked, though.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #126 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tube Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The touch wheel still has full functionality when docked, though.

Even though you're using the digital output signal from the iPod? That's good news!

I tried a Denon-dock which disabled the touch wheel when connected (a Denon-logo was displayed instead) and forced you to use a monitor in order to navigate through the menus. I was afraid the Onkyo would behave in the same way.

EDIT: I just read the manual and it doesn't mention anything about operating the iPod directly (using the touch wheel). The manual says that you need to choose the song or album BEFORE it's docked. After docking you can use the remote to skip songs (according to the manual). Am I missing or misunderstanding something here? Which iPod are you using?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #127 of 256
I'm using the latest (7th gen) 160g iPod.

I have a previous gen (6th) 120g iPod that I use in my car. The touch wheel is disabled when I use it with my car stereo (it shows a logo and the current song when my head unit is controlling it), but I can use the full touch wheel functionality with it when docked in the ND-S1.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #128 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tube Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the latest (7th gen) 160g iPod.

I have a previous gen (6th) 120g iPod that I use in my car. ... but I can use the full touch screen functionality with it when docked in the ND-S1.

Thanks for the info, but just to make sure we don't misunderstand each other:

You can use the touch wheel to play music while the iPod is docked in the ND-S1? (this is the conventional behaviour on many "analog" iPod-docks, but some docks/AV receivers take control over the iPod so that you can't control it directly anymore).

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #129 of 256
Yep, before typing that last note, I ran out to my car and brought my 6th gen iPod in. As I did with the 7th gen, I docked it... and then while playing a song through my dac/amp, I surfed the menus, scrolled through coverflow, and changed the tune all using the touch wheel. As always, it worked just like it would if it were not docked, includig showing the album art, currently playing song, and time elapsed/remaining.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #131 of 256
you have full control over ipod when its docked to the nd-s1. dock it, select song afterwards, scroll the wheel as much as you like.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #132 of 256
On the 5th gen Ipod video, the scroll wheel is not active when the ipod is connected to the ND-S1. I have to push the "ipod" button to get the "onkyo" screen to disappear and the music (currently playing) will stop. Then the menus will appear and I can choose another song or playlist. Once I press play, the "onkyo" screen reappears and the touch wheel is again inactive until I press the "ipod" button on the ND-S1.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #133 of 256
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the 5th gen Ipod video, the scroll wheel is not active when the ipod is connected to the ND-S1. I have to push the "ipod" button to get the "onkyo" screen to disappear and the music (currently playing) will stop. Then the menus will appear and I can choose another song or playlist. Once I press play, the "onkyo" screen reappears and the touch wheel is again inactive until I press the "ipod" button on the ND-S1.

okay so some work great while others don't I see.

I have a Nano gen3

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #134 of 256
Hi Guys,

Just like with the Wadia iTransport, the Onkyo ND-S1 gives full functionality (full navigation of your music via the click wheel, etc.) starting with 6th gen iPods. Seems to work fine with the "iPod classic", iPhone, iPod Touch, newer Nanos, etc.

Older gen iPods (e.g. 5g/5.5g iPod Video) is limited with the Wadia and ND-S1, as MarkJnK mentioned above.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back