ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 3, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #16,246 of 16,326
I have never owned a DAP, including the X1a, that will reliably randomly shuffle all files without many repeats and many omissions. The Onkyo seems no better or worse than any other DAP.
I do listen primarily to random play on all my sources.

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #16,248 of 16,326
I’m thinking buying a DP-X1A to support my large library.
I currently use a Hifiman HM-901S and this one sucks when navigating/playing large library.
Also I used to play my music full random tracks.
Is this Onkyo player able to play full random tracks (around 8k~9k tracks) with ease?

I normally run UAPP on my DP-X1B, but I just checked and it does appear that the Onkyo Music Player can Randomly play all of the songs that are scanned into the Library.My Library has about 4,400 tracks, on one of the memory cards, in my DAP - but I suspect the player would also work with the number of tracks you have.

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #16,250 of 16,326
Great, thank you for taking the test !
If the DAP reads library from scanned tracks, I can assume result will be the same with 2 cards ?

Yes - The tracks in the Library scan can be on the internal memory, and on both of the plug-in cards.
The DP-X1A has 64GB of internal memory (my DP-X1B has 32GB), and the uSD cards can each be up to 256GB.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #16,252 of 16,326
Hi guys.
My name is Peter and Im new here.I hope you are all well.I need your help as my Onkyo dap wouldnt turn on anymore.My guess is faulty battery.Ive already ordered a new one.I would be greatful for some tips of how to remove the screen to get inside.If someone could get me through the process so i dont damage the unit any further.
Thanks a lot.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #16,253 of 16,326
Hi guys.
My name is Peter and Im new here.I hope you are all well.I need your help as my Onkyo dap wouldnt turn on anymore.My guess is faulty battery.Ive already ordered a new one.I would be greatful for some tips of how to remove the screen to get inside.If someone could get me through the process so i dont damage the unit any further.
Thanks a lot.

If you don't already have a set of tools (small screwdrivers; small wedges & levers to lift screen) for servicing cell phones / tablets - get a set ordered. My DP-X1 stays in a slide-in case, so I didn't worry about getting new adhesive to reattach the screen.
The screen does not clip or latch to the case - it's just held on by the adhesive around the perimeter. I can't remember whether the ribbon cable is routed to the middle or bottom of the screen - but you should be OK to begin prying it off across the top.
There are 3 or 4 circuit boards that have to be unscrewed and removed
- to get to the battery. There is adhesive holding the battery in the case - so try not to damage it too much while removing it (if it's dead, it shouldn't catch fire).

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #16,254 of 16,326
If you don't already have a set of tools (small screwdrivers; small wedges & levers to lift screen) for servicing cell phones / tablets - get a set ordered. My DP-X1 stays in a slide-in case, so I didn't worry about getting new adhesive to reattach the screen.
The screen does not clip or latch to the case - it's just held on by the adhesive around the perimeter. I can't remember whether the ribbon cable is routed to the middle or bottom of the screen - but you should be OK to begin prying it off across the top.
There are 3 or 4 circuit boards that have to be unscrewed and removed
- to get to the battery. There is adhesive holding the battery in the case - so try not to damage it too much while removing it (if it's dead, it shouldn't catch fire).
Thanks a lot.Did you work with heatgun to soften the adhesive?

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #16,255 of 16,326
Thanks a lot.Did you work with heatgun to soften the adhesive?

I probably would have, if the swollen battery hadn't pushed the screen loose. :wink:

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #16,257 of 16,326
Has anyone had an issue with the touchscreen not working? It turns on , boots and then asks to slide open but the screen is not sensing/responding to my finger trying to slide it?

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #16,259 of 16,326
I have never owned a DAP, including the X1a, that will reliably randomly shuffle all files without many repeats and many omissions. The Onkyo seems no better or worse than any other DAP.
I do listen primarily to random play on all my sources.

Somewhere on one of my PCs, I've got an AWK script I wrote, that will create a random Playlist from all the track names in a folder, with no repeats.
It could also be adapted to create a random Playlist from all the tracks in multiple folders.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #16,260 of 16,326
Hi.Looks like you dont have the digitizer of the touch screen connected to the cn200 port which is at one of the boards inside the player.
I was really hoping you were just going to say, oh that's easy, just press the forward button and while rebooting and I should be all good to go : )

I was afraid you were going to say the digitizer. I scored two (DP-X1 & DP-X1A), both in orig. boxes, compete and when casually looking at them they looked new & unused but the X1A doesn't turn on (dead) and the X1 has the screen digitizer issue and that battery drains pretty fast with just the home screen. Looking closer at it at the X1, it does look like there's some marks around the screen and maybe not reinstalled correctly and not connected the the cn200 port (I hope) so both are not new. I think I'll order a new battery before I attempt to take the screen off and use that on whichever one works best.

Thanks for the info and reply.

Now I need to find a good source for batteries as the old link where to buy a batteries posted many pages ago is no longer working?

Edit: I found these two on AliExpress, shipping time looks to be around 2+ months on the slow boat.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...83-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000015781218463"}

This one is half the price a looks a little sketchier but who knows

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...ec1ae883-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"67133515390"}

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back