ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #15,481 of 16,328
i was 5 minutes away from buying this dap.. oh decisions decisions

Just to clarify the topic about battery life, it's perfectly fine, it gets you through the day, depending, of course, how difficult of a load your headset are. With iSines X1 can do 10 hrs. With Oppo PM1 a lot less, but very rarely does anyone have the player on for 6 hrs straight. I do, almost daily.

The battery drain is not an issue, just turn it off for the night, or plug in the charger, easy.

X1's only trouble are sub par headphone sockets, they tend to fall apart for no reason, other than just plugging and unplughing headphones. Other than that, to me, it's the best under $1000 dap. It's just personal opinion, but shared by many.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #15,482 of 16,328
You decided not to buy?
For $500 there is no better dap currently that can beat X1, no dap of similar or higher quality.

$500 and lower seem to be asking prices now.
For $400 -$500 there is no competition. None.

iBasso DX200 go for substantially higher price. Fiio X7 II also higher price, despite avalanche of complaints regarding software. And that's pretty much it, unless you opt for separate source and DAC.

Opus #2 and AK70 mk2 are good DAPs too.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #15,483 of 16,328
Opus is good dap, no doubt. AK70 II is good dap.
To me, Onkyo X1 beats them, easily.

But this is subjective. There is no proof one way or another. My point is that battery life is least of X1's concerns, it's not worse than other DAPs, needless apps disabled, flight mode, that goes without saying.

I'm far from being X1 fan boy, knowing now how fragile both output sockets are, I would not have bought it. Knowing how useless Onkyo Customer Service is, I will never buy anything with Onkyo written on it. What other audio maker simply IGNORES emails? Onkyo simply does not reply. Like that ostrich, putting head in the sand - "We don't know about headphone sockets failing, we never received any emails", that is Onkyo's strategy! Unreal. If someone posted it, I would refuse to believe it, because it sounds too outlandish. But I know this first hand.
But when it works, it's in my top 3 DAPs of all time, regardless of cost.
X1 is pretty much current state of the art.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #15,484 of 16,328
Opus is good dap, no doubt. AK70 II is good dap.
To me, Onkyo X1 beats them, easily.

But this is subjective. There is no proof one way or another. My point is that battery life is least of X1's concerns, it's not worse than other DAPs, needless apps disabled, flight mode, that goes without saying.

I'm far from being X1 fan boy, knowing now how fragile both output sockets are, I would not have bought it. Knowing how useless Onkyo Customer Service is, I will never buy anything with Onkyo written on it. What other audio maker simply IGNORES emails? Onkyo simply does not reply. Like that ostrich, putting head in the sand - "We don't know about headphone sockets failing, we never received any emails", that is Onkyo's strategy! Unreal. If someone posted it, I would refuse to believe it, because it sounds too outlandish. But I know this first hand.
But when it works, it's in my top 3 DAPs of all time, regardless of cost.
X1 is pretty much current state of the art.

how fragile are the output sockets?

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #15,485 of 16,328
I'm far from being X1 fan boy, knowing now how fragile both output sockets are, I would not have bought it. Knowing how useless Onkyo Customer Service is, I will never buy anything with Onkyo written on it. What other audio maker simply IGNORES emails? Onkyo simply does not reply. Like that ostrich, putting head in the sand - "We don't know about headphone sockets failing, we never received any emails", that is Onkyo's strategy! Unreal. If someone posted it, I would refuse to believe it, because it sounds too outlandish. But I know this first hand

Any idea what is causing the socket failure? And would something like leaving a jack extension plugged in all the time prevent this? Im thinking of purchasing the dp-x1a but have heard mixed things about them adressing this issue so im a little hesitant.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #15,486 of 16,328
i was 5 minutes away from buying this dap.. oh decisions decisions

at the price point, make sure you consider the Hiby R6 DAP. More ram, better dac, much better screen and processor (this makes a HUGE difference), balanced output is cleaner. Also I doubt that you have to worry about broken headphone jacks. The onkyo has dual slots and you can root the device, which to me is a a plus. Only reason I sold mine was to try the DX200. The use of Hiby link to control the device through your smart phone is also useful

With the release of the R6, it doesn't make much sense to still be considering the onkyo, unless the price is under $500, imo.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #15,487 of 16,328
how fragile are the output sockets?

Any idea what is causing the socket failure? And would something like leaving a jack extension plugged in all the time prevent this? Im thinking of purchasing the dp-x1a but have heard mixed things about them adressing this issue so im a little hesitant.

I do not know about anyone of the DP-X1 owners how they handle with their DAPs but since I bought mine I have never had problems with sockets falling out or broken apart. The sockets are still intact and absolutely no complaints. Maybe I am one of the luckiest owners. :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #15,488 of 16,328

These sockets cost few cents a piece. All of 3.5mm and 2.5mm sockets are very low cost parts, but you don't often hear massive, routine failures of some Smartphone. Sockets generally take lot of abuse, and don't fail. Think of all the white ear pieces on pretty much everyone in subway. That means phone is in pocket, and headphones plugged in phone's socket, being bent in pockets, taking all kinds of stress, yet rarely fail.

Problem is these particular sockets, that Onkyo managed to find, and decided to use in their top dap. These sockets fail in 2 wats, by slightly bending the headphone plug, socket is bent, and stressed, since the sockets are held on the circuit board only by solder joints, the solder joint breaks, and socket loses contact w circuit board.
Second scenario, and this is Onkyo's exclusive 'contribution', the internal contacts inside the socket are like tiny springs, when headphone plug is inserted, 3 springs make contact with Ground, Left and Right of 3.5mm SE plug. The Balanced socket has 4 springs inside the socket, 2 separate Ground leads.
Onkyo's sockets are so bad, these springs become 'tired', they won't snap into msking contact with headphone plug.

You can easily tell, when socket itself becomes loose from circuit board, the socket moves, if properly soldered it should have no way to move, not bend, it should feel firmly in its place. When it feels loose, one or more solder joints have broken off the circuit board. It may still conduct, because even tho broken off board, the sockets joints are touching the board, and you may have intermittent signal.

In a genius move, Onkyo designed the X1 in a fashionable Al brick, beautifully CNC'd out of solid chunk of Al. Very nice! Except there is no access to circuit board, in order to re touch the solder points, a 3 minute job with, for example, iBasso DX50. DX50 also had socket issues, but iBasso had screwed on back plate. I resoldered my DX50 dockets twice within few months, but I do use daps on the move all day. In the dx50 the sockets, and 3 solder joints are staring right at you, when you unscrew the back panel. Not do with Onkyo. You have to remove the LCD, good luck getting it off in one piece.

But worse, Onkyo X1 sockets don't even need to break loose from board. All you have to do is use the player, enough plugging in, and unplugging does the trick, uduslly one channel fails, the spring inside the socket is too soft, not springy enough, to touch the headphone plug. And there is nothing you can do about it, without removing the screen.

With heat gun, LCD is not difficult to remove, phone repair shops change cracked LCD all the time. Trick is, you need to have a replacement screen ready to put in place. How do you buy a new LCD, if Onkyo won't even acknowledge your emails? As I said, it tricky.

So far only confirmed place services X1, it's in Hong Kong, for $100 they replace Onkyo sockets, and out in real sockets, as in functional, non garbage sockets, $1 is the cost of a socket. Onkyo really outdid itself, when they decided to use these particular sockets. It's like a prank, an $800 prank, cost of X1, when first released.
There are ton of reports of sockets failing after only being used at home, not even in pocket, or pouch. That's how bad these sockets are.

If this was KG or Samsung size manufacturer, X1 would have been recalled long time ago. The Onkyo gets away with it, Japanese customers get no questions asked replacement under warranty. Anyone outside Japan, good luck!

Sorry for typos, using phone

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #15,489 of 16,328

I use a dangle, almost permanently plugged into 2.5mm socket. 4 months now, and itsi almost without issues. Few scary moments, when suddenly one channel dissapears, but turning the dangle slightly restores the output, so far.

I've spoken to Romi Audio in Hong Kong, redy to ship the X1 for service. For the price of $1000 Hong Kong $ they replace both sockets. But I've been postponing sending the X1 to them, cos I'm travelling, and I don't have other gear with me.
I chatted with Romi Audio on FB messanger, they were friendly, turn around 2 days, 5 days max, the person I spoke with sent some pics of work done by them, they replace sockets to high quality sockets. This man said in convo that they have never encountered such low grade sockets as in X1.

But as long as my 2.5 is semi alive, I won't send it to them. In April I'm back home, have other DAPs then, and the X1 will travel to Hong Kong.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #15,490 of 16,328
These sockets cost few cents a piece. All of 3.5mm and 2.5mm sockets are very low cost parts, but you don't often hear massive, routine failures of some Smartphone. Sockets generally take lot of abuse, and don't fail. Think of all the white ear pieces on pretty much everyone in subway. That means phone is in pocket, and headphones plugged in phone's socket, being bent in pockets, taking all kinds of stress, yet rarely fail.

Problem is these particular sockets, that Onkyo managed to find, and decided to use in their top dap. These sockets fail in 2 wats, by slightly bending the headphone plug, socket is bent, and stressed, since the sockets are held on the circuit board only by solder joints, the solder joint breaks, and socket loses contact w circuit board.
Second scenario, and this is Onkyo's exclusive 'contribution', the internal contacts inside the socket are like tiny springs, when headphone plug is inserted, 3 springs make contact with Ground, Left and Right of 3.5mm SE plug. The Balanced socket has 4 springs inside the socket, 2 separate Ground leads.
Onkyo's sockets are so bad, these springs become 'tired', they won't snap into msking contact with headphone plug.

You can easily tell, when socket itself becomes loose from circuit board, the socket moves, if properly soldered it should have no way to move, not bend, it should feel firmly in its place. When it feels loose, one or more solder joints have broken off the circuit board. It may still conduct, because even tho broken off board, the sockets joints are touching the board, and you may have intermittent signal.

In a genius move, Onkyo designed the X1 in a fashionable Al brick, beautifully CNC'd out of solid chunk of Al. Very nice! Except there is no access to circuit board, in order to re touch the solder points, a 3 minute job with, for example, iBasso DX50. DX50 also had socket issues, but iBasso had screwed on back plate. I resoldered my DX50 dockets twice within few months, but I do use daps on the move all day. In the dx50 the sockets, and 3 solder joints are staring right at you, when you unscrew the back panel. Not do with Onkyo. You have to remove the LCD, good luck getting it off in one piece.

But worse, Onkyo X1 sockets don't even need to break loose from board. All you have to do is use the player, enough plugging in, and unplugging does the trick, uduslly one channel fails, the spring inside the socket is too soft, not springy enough, to touch the headphone plug. And there is nothing you can do about it, without removing the screen.

With heat gun, LCD is not difficult to remove, phone repair shops change cracked LCD all the time. Trick is, you need to have a replacement screen ready to put in place. How do you buy a new LCD, if Onkyo won't even acknowledge your emails? As I said, it tricky.

So far only confirmed place services X1, it's in Hong Kong, for $100 they replace Onkyo sockets, and out in real sockets, as in functional, non garbage sockets, $1 is the cost of a socket. Onkyo really outdid itself, when they decided to use these particular sockets. It's like a prank, an $800 prank, cost of X1, when first released.
There are ton of reports of sockets failing after only being used at home, not even in pocket, or pouch. That's how bad these sockets are.

If this was KG or Samsung size manufacturer, X1 would have been recalled long time ago. The Onkyo gets away with it, Japanese customers get no questions asked replacement under warranty. Anyone outside Japan, good luck!

Sorry for typos, using phone
Funny, in my case DP-X1 saved me from buying Onkyo rather expensive preamp P300R and power amplifier M5000R. I really liked the sound with my Totem Hawks and was pretty sure I would keep those. Coincidentally I bought used DPX1 and started reading about Onkyo's engineering stupidity. And their "support". I promptly sent P300R and M500R back and I would not buy a $19 headphone stand if it's made by Onkyo.
My DP-X1 sockets are OK for now. They were wobbly in the case but that I fixed with a touch JB Weld, when the springs go it would be time to throw this otherwise excellent player to a garbage bin where it belongs.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #15,491 of 16,328
when the springs go it would be time to throw this otherwise excellent player to a garbage bin where it belongs.

now I'm definitely put off... shame really as I liked the styling and had good series of specs

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #15,492 of 16,328
I need some help, if possible. I have the DP-X1 and am having problems with playback. If I connect the DAP to my laptop and go into the memory, the music and its files are there. However, when I disconnect and try to use the DAP again, the main CD file will be there but the individual songs are gone. OR, the songs are there, but when I try to play, they won't.

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #15,493 of 16,328
Its actually possible to stream Tidal's Masters on the DP-X1. You just have to use the USB Audio PRO (UAPP) app. It supports Tidal, once you've sign in to Tidal in the UAPP app.
You will be able to stream in 24bit. Only problem is you can't see which songs, albums or playlists are in masters version in UAPP. You'll have to do some tidying in Tidal, like creating a Masters playlist first on your computer.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #15,494 of 16,328
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #15,495 of 16,328
when the springs go it would be time to throw this otherwise excellent player to a garbage bin where it belongs.

now I'm definitely put off... shame really as I liked the styling and had good series of specs
I wouldn't put to much thought into his remarks, I have had mine almost 2 years and it has had no issues. JMO, not discounting there have been issues, but I have been free of them and I have a DP-X1 original.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back