ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 4, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #13,936 of 16,326
Is dxp1 beating ak70 or maybe even ak300? Anyone any experience made? Thanks.

That depends on your headphones, how they pair and how you like your sound....

On a non subjective note:
DP1X runs android apps.
It has 2 MicroSD slots for monster memory.
It has a karger screen.
The audio jacks may be an issue long term in terms of reliability.

I played with an AK70, and stuck with the DP1X based on what I like and largely because of 2 MicroSD slots, the screen and android apps.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #13,938 of 16,326

I have DP-X1A and AK300 and I find the AK300 to be the more detailed player and to my preference (balanced mode) - straight out of the box it was not quite so evident but after >100hrs playing time on each player the AK300 seemed to open up with more sound stage and better synergy across a number of headphones
Build and size - I find the dpx1 a bit to large for holding in the hand or in pocket but both are built well, battery life on both for me are about the same 8hrs on a full charge playing flac with screen off - the DPX1 will drain faster if using screen. I like the large screen on the DPX1 and the streaming seemed a bit more consistent than AK300 on tidal. I find the user interface on AK300 to be simpler and easier to use. Balanced mode on AK300 vs Direct - minimal difference to my ears -while with the DPX1A there is a noticable difference 
While I enjoy the DPX1A I prefer number of  other players I have in terms of sound -  AK JR , Aune M2, pono player (balanced), AK100ii for example I think have the edge in terms of detail and enjoyment factor - However as you know everyone has a different opinion and many people love this player more than the players I list so it comes to personal preference and what you pair it with - When I compare a player In collection I use a small range of headphones across the size from ie800, Kef m200, Balanced re cabled momentum on ear/over ear, HD600,700, Denon mm400/D600 - to get a good comparison - What i have found consistently is that a headphone pairing that sounds the best on one player is not always the best pairing or synergy on another which is another reason you may get such a varied opinion on forums such as this. I think both players are good - at this price range there is as much difference or even more difference to be gained by changing the headphone than the player

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #13,940 of 16,326

That depends on your headphones, how they pair and how you like your sound....

On a non subjective note:
DP1X runs android apps.
It has 2 MicroSD slots for monster memory.
It has a karger screen.
The audio jacks may be an issue long term in terms of reliability.

I played with an AK70, and stuck with the DP1X based on what I like and largely because of 2 MicroSD slots, the screen and android apps.

My DPX1 balanced socket is not working the last 3 weeks. Unbalanced socket is almost finished as well. Disappointed, I went to listen Ibasso dx200 and ak300 balanced with my shure se846. dX200 sounded extremely distorted. Construction quality junk. UI extremely terrible. AK 300 did not sound any close to DPX1. UI not up to DPX1. Construction quality adorable. I ordered a DPX1A. By the way what happened to pricejapan? Are they about of business?

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #13,944 of 16,326
Cheers, can you help with this? I've got a balanced 2.5mm Forza cable specifically for this player (Pioneer version tbh) but am wondering about whether I can still use the same cable with adapter for other 3.5mm sources, would any 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter do the job or would it need specific wiring?

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #13,945 of 16,326
  Cheers, can you help with this? I've got a balanced 2.5mm Forza cable specifically for this player (Pioneer version tbh) but am wondering about whether I can still use the same cable with adapter for other 3.5mm sources, would any 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter do the job or would it need specific wiring?

yes, there are adapters from balanced 2.5 mm to single 3.5m.
I use this one.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #13,947 of 16,326

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N10RBPW/

Norne:
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Hyper-Short-Adapter-AK240-Astell-and-Kern-2-5-mm-4-pole-trrs-3-5-mm-1-8-rhodium

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #13,949 of 16,326
Long story short: DP-X1A & beyerdynamic T1.2 works very well! 

I tried the beyerdynamic T1.2 with the Onkyo DP-X1A today (unbalanced). The DP-X1A has enough power to drive the T1.2... keeping in mind that the beyer has detachable cables and that there will be a balanced 2,5 mm cable for the T1.2 in Q2/2017 I added these to my headphone collection today.

Edit: Onkyo DP-X1A --> japanese device ordered at amazon.co.jp --> important as there is a EU volume limitation which castrates our beloved devices :wink:

Can you answer? What volume level do you use? Is it anought? Is is loud?

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #13,950 of 16,326
Can you answer? What volume level do you use? Is it anought? Is is loud?

​The DP-X1A has 4 different gain levels (Low 1, Low 2, Normal and High) - for the T1.2 (600 Ω) I set it to "high" (when listening with a balanced 2,5 mm cable with my UE TF10 I have to set it to "Low 1" or "Low 2").

As volume is a subjective thing and soundfiles differ from their - let's call it "native" volume of the files - I try to illustrate with Tidal (HiFi) as I believe everyone should have quick access to the referred tracks. I set the volume throughout listening and will post the volume I found "nice" for that kind of music.

1. Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter - Sunday Skin (from: Gentleness of Nothing) - Volume set to 120/160 - relaxed folk rock
2. Popa Chubby - Hey Joe (from: The Essential Popa Chubby) - Volume set to 127/160
3. Wolfgang Haffner feat. Max Mutzke (from: King of Cool) -  Volume set to 127/160 - smooth Jazz
4. Jonas Alaska - Becky (from: Younger) - Volume set to 140/160 - love the sound of the fingers sliding over the strings of the guitar - great recording, superior quality (thank you Tidal)
5. Izzy Bizu - White Tiger (from: A Moment of Madness) - 140/160

Going over 150/160 it becomes to loud - at least for my ears. With the T1.2 I'm basically listening in the range 100 - 140.

From my perspective the DP-X1A plays very well with the T1.2 - no need to amplify. Loud enough. Absolute beautiful highs, mids and bass. I honestly never enjoyed music this way on a portable device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back