ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 11, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #13,741 of 16,326
After using my DPX1 for 6 months, it's 2.5mm plug is finally broken.

I send it back to fix twice and still the connection is not well.

I am too tired to get it repaired again, so I bought a AK240 instead.

DPX1 is great for its price and sound quality, but definitely has flaw in the design and build.

How exactly is it broken? Is the whole jack disconnected from the circuit board? I am wondering how we all can prevent this.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #13,742 of 16,326
How exactly is it broken? Is the whole jack disconnected from the circuit board? I am wondering how we all can prevent this.

The plastic inside 2.5 jack is broken and the whole gold ring is detached. I'm not the first one to have this problem.

After sending to onkyo for repairment, the jack no longer connect well to my 2.5 plug and occasionally my right IEM has no sound and I had to send it to Onkyo for 2nd time.

After fixing for 2nd time, the situation is improved a little bit, but the right IEM is still not working 100%, especially when I am walking with my DPX1.

I really think it is a flaw in its design, which eventually would happen to everyone.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #13,743 of 16,326
I was weeding the yard Saturday crouched down, listening with my custom IEM's and my x1 in my back pocket.

I got my headphone cord caught on something and WACK! I tore out my headphone cord from the x1!

I was terrified! I looked down at the cord and it was still intact, but the 2.5mm plug was bent at a 90 degree angle.:eek:

I quickly went inside to check the x1 jack and it seemed alright. I plugged my HD650's in and .....

Perfect sound. The JB weld saved my jack! Looking at the headphone plug, it was completely broken, I'm not even sure that a (Non JB weld) regular headphone jack on any other device would have survived that force.

Lesson learned! I usually always use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2ZL9G4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which keeps my cord from snagging on my bicycle and everything else.

So to those of you who have the 1st model x1 and haven't reinforced the jacks, DO IT NOW, before you regret it.

I resoldered another 2.5mm balanced plug onto the headphone cord yesterday and everything works fine.

YMMV, and of course just my 2 cents, getting off soap box.....

MadDane Soapbox speech very much appreciated! :raised_hands: Has anyone opted to reinforce their jacks? Is there a step-by-step tutorial or video I can watch regarding the process? Have others had similar mishaps?

And greetings to you all. :wave: I'm new to this thread and new to Head-Fi. I'm an Onkyo DP-X1 owner of course, and was the redhead with long,curly hair if any of you were at the NYC Can Jam. :headphones:

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #13,744 of 16,326
I have finally completed the Herculean task of going through this whole thread over the last few weeks. So I decided I had to reward myself with getting a great case for my X1.  I like this one a lot.  It is very cost effective and so minimal it is like it is not there.  And most of all, I do not have to carry it in my hand.  I am still looking for a good solution that I could thread on a belt.  In getting this image I had to break my religious conviction of no slefies in the interests of Hi-Fi.

1note This was really cute! :necktie: and I too at some point will need to go through the Herculean task of going through this entire thread right now I too and searching for a great case. Just looking at all those related posts is enough of a task! *whew*

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #13,745 of 16,326
@1note This was really cute! :necktie: and I too at some point will need to go through the Herculean task of going through this entire thread right now I too and searching for a great case. Just looking at all those related posts is enough of a task! *whew*

You can use the search this thread function for specific key words 

Cheers

Riley

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #13,747 of 16,326
I haven't heard anything about a listening fatigue issue..
Not contradicting you, just haven't heard about it and I'd been following this thread on and off since it first started..
I have this issue sometimes with IEM's. To some extent it can be due to a design/implementation flaw, but in other cases, it's just me because I am a bit sensitive to treble.

Not sure which category the DP-X1 fits into, as I don't own it and haven't heard it personally. But am certainly considering the DP-X1A as it seems to resolve most previous reported issues :)

If folks are experiencing listening :ear: fatigue may I suggest an Empire Ears, or other IEM that utilizes ADEL technology. You can read about it here:

https://asiustechnologies.com/products/adel-manual-modules

http://www.empireears.com/empire-shop/

Any other solutions, I too would be interested in.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #13,748 of 16,326
https://www.amazon.co.jp/ELECOM-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%B3%E7%94%A8%E6%B1%8E%E7%94%A8%E6%89%8B%E5%B8%B3%E5%9E%8B%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B6%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%89%E4%BB%95%E6%A7%98-5-2inch-P-02PLFDBK/dp/B0116H24KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486881559&sr=8-1&keywords=dp-x1+%E3%82%B1%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9

can anyone here figure out how to order this?! the search says its elegible for global but I cant seem to get it to work.

it looks like a decent and cheap case imo

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #13,749 of 16,326
@MadDane Soapbox speech very much appreciated! :raised_hands: Has anyone opted to reinforce their jacks? Is there a step-by-step tutorial or video I can watch regarding the process? Have others had similar mishaps?

And greetings to you all. :wave: I'm new to this thread and new to Head-Fi. I'm an Onkyo DP-X1 owner of course, and was the redhead with long,curly hair if any of you were at the NYC Can Jam. :headphones:

I was going to get one of those 3.5m male to 2.5mm female TRRS/4-pole adapters, to keep perm. plugged into the the DP-X1A, just to be safe :p
Also, finding 3.5mm TRRS jacks are easier where I'm located, for making custom cables.

Maybe a 2.5 male to female TRRS/4-pole adapter, if they are available, may help those with 2.5mm jack balanced cables?

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #13,751 of 16,326
  I was going to get one of those 3.5m male to 2.5mm female TRRS/4-pole adapters, to keep perm. plugged into the the DP-X1A, just to be safe :p
Also, finding 3.5mm TRRS jacks are easier where I'm located, for making custom cables.

Maybe a 2.5 male to female TRRS/4-pole adapter, if they are available, may help those with 2.5mm jack balanced cables?

Since the DP-X1A has a Microphone input, it does have an actual TRRS/4-pole 3.5mm jack.  In order to connect a balanced earphone cable to the unbalanced 3.5mm jack, you'd need to buy or build a cable like the ones that Venture Electronics supplies along with the (2.5TRRS) models of their earbuds.

The original DP-X1 has a TRS/3-pole 3.5mm jack, since it apparently doesn't have a Microphone input (I know for sure that it does not respond to iPhone or Android TRRS/4-pole earphone cables that have Mic/Audio Controls on them).

If Onkyo is using standard connections for the TR1R2S/4-pole 3.5mm jack, then it's wired as:
T = L+
R1 = R+
R2 = GND
S = Mic

The TR1R2S/4-pole 2.5mm balanced output jack is wired to match the AK "standard":
T = R-
R1 = R+
R2 = L+
S = L-

So, an adapter cable for the DP-X1A would need to be wired as:
3.5mm Plug​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm Jack​
T​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
R2
R1
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
R1
R2
=​
GND​
 ​
to​
 ​
GND​
=​
T & S​
S​
=​
Mic​
 ​
 ​
 ​
---​
=​
none​

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #13,752 of 16,326
  Since the DP-X1A has a Microphone input, it does have an actual TRRS/4-pole 3.5mm jack.  In order to connect a balanced earphone cable to the unbalanced 3.5mm jack, you'd need to buy or build a cable like the ones that Venture Electronics supplies along with the (2.5TRRS) models of their earbuds.

The original DP-X1 has a TRS/3-pole 3.5mm jack, since it apparently doesn't have a Microphone input (I know for sure that it does not respond to iPhone or Android TRRS/4-pole earphone cables that have Mic/Audio Controls on them).

If Onkyo is using standard connections for the TR1R2S/4-pole 3.5mm jack, then it's wired as:
T = L+
R1 = R+
R2 = GND
S = Mic

The TR1R2S/4-pole 2.5mm balanced output jack is wired to match the AK "standard":
T = R-
R1 = R+
R2 = L+
S = L-

So, an adapter cable for the DP-X1A would need to be wired as:
3.5mm Plug​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm Jack​
T​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
R2
R1
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
R1
R2
=​
GND​
 ​
to​
 ​
GND​
=​
T & S​
S​
=​
Mic​
 ​
 ​
 ​
---​
=​
none​

:)
No, I mean an adaptor like this:

Source: https://www.amazon.com/CESS-2-5mm-Female-Plated-Adapter/dp/B01FPRAG88/

That should allow folks to avoid the risk of the 2.5mm jack getting damaged (my post was in response to the "reinforce their jacks" query by previous poster)
I also said, the 3.5mm 4-pole/TRRS jack works better for me, but others may look for a 2.5mm to 2.5mm adapter if they have 2.55mm balanced cables already.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #13,753 of 16,326

:)
No, I mean an adaptor like this:

Source: https://www.amazon.com/CESS-2-5mm-Female-Plated-Adapter/dp/B01FPRAG88/

That should allow folks to avoid the risk of the 2.5mm jack getting damaged (my post was in response to the "reinforce their jacks" query by previous poster)
I also said, the 3.5mm 4-pole/TRRS jack works better for me, but others may look for a 2.5mm to 2.5mm adapter if they have 2.55mm balanced cables already.

If you plug a regular 3.5mm TRS/3-pole plug into that jack, you will likely damage the Left Channel balanced amplifiers of the DP-X1 - because the S of the 3.5mm plug will be shorting together the R2 & S of the 2.5mm output. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #13,754 of 16,326
  If you plug a regular 3.5mm TRS/3-pole plug into that jack, you will likely damage the Left Channel balanced amplifiers of the DP-X1 - because the S of the 3.5mm plug will be shorting together the R2 & S of the 2.5mm output. 

Very true.. which is why I suggest a 4-pole/TRRS 3.5mm male to 4-pole/TRRS 2.5mm female adapter...(as per the sample adapter in the link.
Also said ""Also, finding 3.5mm TRRS jacks are easier where I'm located, for making custom cables.""

Again, this basically means the devices 2.5mm balanced port will not be worn out, as one would plug/unplug the cable from the adapter.. and teh adapter stays perm on the DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back