ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #13,726 of 16,326
Hmm... I was tinkering around with the unit and I enabled the Developer Option under Android. At the time, I recall battery was about 85% and above.

I did not root the unit.

So did you try to connect it to a computer with adb shell?
If you can see it in adb devices you may be able to push a system back in it

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #13,729 of 16,326
After using my DPX1 for 6 months, it's 2.5mm plug is finally broken.

I send it back to fix twice and still the connection is not well.

I am too tired to get it repaired again, so I bought a AK240 instead.

DPX1 is great for its price and sound quality, but definitely has flaw in the design and build.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #13,731 of 16,326
​Wow! Like listening to all new music! (meant to quote...anyway, got LZ A4 IEMs and balanced cable.)

Hi I see you maybe using LZ A4's balanced on the DP X1, is this OK to use? as the Lz a4 are only 16 ohm,?
I have the same set up, but unsure if I will damage the dap as the minimum they recommend is 32 ohm. Just need to know if it's ok to do so. :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #13,732 of 16,326
Hi I see you maybe using LZ A4's balanced on the DP X1, is this OK to use? as the Lz a4 are only 16 ohm,?
I have the same set up, but unsure if I will damage the dap as the minimum they recommend is 32 ohm. Just need to know if it's ok to do so.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been using 64 Audio U12s, which are also 16 ohms, with the DPX1 for several months now and it seems to be fine. I asked the same question you asked awhile ago and nobody seems to have a definitive answer. Given the Onkyo manual recommends against it I think it's really a personal choice to take the chance on it although no one has reported an issue on this thread.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #13,733 of 16,326
I've been using 64 Audio U12s, which are also 16 ohms, with the DPX1 for several months now and it seems to be fine. I asked the same question you asked awhile ago and nobody seems to have a definitive answer. Given the Onkyo manual recommends against it I think it's really a personal choice to take the chance on it although no one has reported an issue on this thread.

:thumbsup: ok thanks fordski, will proceed with caution ⚠

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #13,734 of 16,326
I asked a cable manufacture and this is what they said " It will be fine. High impedance headphones require more power, so the output is designed with this in mind. You'll likely use less volume when in balanced since impedance is lower"

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #13,735 of 16,326
I have the same set up, but unsure if I will damage the dap as the minimum they recommend is 32 ohm. Just need to know if it's ok to do so.
smily_headphones1.gif

I asked a cable manufacture and this is what they said " It will be fine. High impedance headphones require more power, so the output is designed with this in mind. You'll likely use less volume when in balanced since impedance is lower"

and specialty if you look at the spec at page 1 so I think it is ok

Output Impedance: 0.5 ohm (single ended), 1 ohm (balanced).

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #13,736 of 16,326

I agree with this. Opening developer mode actually set many permission to open. Any rogue glitch in software OS can potentially overwrite and ruin certain system area.

Hmm... the point of having Android system is the flexibility. This is an enabling option. It's there if you need it. In any event, it's a step to enable the Option. What you do with it next is of course dependent on whether you know what you are doing.

I am certainly not sure what caused the problem. Best guess at this stage is probably faulty battery / charging component as I could not get the unit to respond to any charging source. Whether it is direct wall plug with USB charger or via a PC USB.

Latest update is I've manage to get a response from Onkyo Japan. However their reply is in kan'ji and I'm struggling to understand it with a rough Google Translate service.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #13,737 of 16,326

Hmm... the point of having Android system is the flexibility. This is an enabling option. It's there if you need it. In any event, it's a step to enable the Option. What you do with it next is of course dependent on whether you know what you are doing.

I am certainly not sure what caused the problem. Best guess at this stage is probably faulty battery / charging component as I could not get the unit to respond to any charging source. Whether it is direct wall plug with USB charger or via a PC USB.

Latest update is I've manage to get a response from Onkyo Japan. However their reply is in kan'ji and I'm struggling to understand it with a rough Google Translate service.

Sorry to insist, do you see the device in device manager when you connect  the Onkyo to your computer? I am sure you checked it but just in case

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #13,738 of 16,326
Here's some explanation as to the IEM and DAP impedance:

THE SHORT VERSION: All you really need to know is most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. So, for example, with 32 ohm Grados the output impedance can be, at most, 32/8 = 4 ohms. The Etymotic HF5s are 16 ohms so the max output impedance is 16/8 = 2 ohms. If you want to be assured a source will work well with just about any headphone, simply make sure the output impedance is under 2 ohms. 
WHY DOES OUTPUT IMPEDANCE MATTER? It matters for at least three reasons:
  1. The greater the output impedance the greater the voltage drop with lower impedance loads. This drop can be large to enough to prevent driving low impedance headphones to sufficiently loud levels. A real world example is the Behringer UCA202 with a 50 ohm output impedance. It struggles with some 16 - 32 ohm headphones.
  2. Headphone impedance changes with frequency. If the output impedance is much above zero this means the voltage delivered to the headphones will also change with frequency. The greater the output impedance, the greater the frequency response deviations. Different headphones will interact in different, and typically unpredictable, ways with the source. Sometimes these variations can be large and plainly audible.
  3. As output impedance increases electrical damping is reduced. The bass performance of the headphones, as designed by the manufacture, may be audibly compromised if there’s insufficient damping. The bass might become more “boomy” and less controlled. The transient response becomes worse and the deep bass performance is compromised (the headphones will roll off sooner at low frequencies). A few, such as those who like a very warm “tube like” sound, might enjoy this sort of under damped bass. But it’s almost always less accurate compared to using a low impedance source.

THE 1/8th RULE: To minimize all three of the above problems, it’s only necessary to keep the output impedance less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. Or, put another way, just divide the headphone impedance by 8 to get the maximum output impedance without potential audible degradation.
http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

CAN A MISMATCH DAMAGE ANYTHING? Using the wrong headphones for a given device generally won’t harm anything besides the sound. But some sources are capable of very high output and might damage more sensitive headphones. But this is only an issue if you turn up the volume well past sane levels—which could happen accidentally. Some headphone amps have a gain switch to help prevent this problem. http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #13,740 of 16,326

Here's some explanation as to the IEM and DAP impedance:

THE SHORT VERSION: All you really need to know is most headphones work best when the output impedance is less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. So, for example, with 32 ohm Grados the output impedance can be, at most, 32/8 = 4 ohms. The Etymotic HF5s are 16 ohms so the max output impedance is 16/8 = 2 ohms. If you want to be assured a source will work well with just about any headphone, simply make sure the output impedance is under 2 ohms. 
WHY DOES OUTPUT IMPEDANCE MATTER? It matters for at least three reasons:
  1. The greater the output impedance the greater the voltage drop with lower impedance loads. This drop can be large to enough to prevent driving low impedance headphones to sufficiently loud levels. A real world example is the Behringer UCA202 with a 50 ohm output impedance. It struggles with some 16 - 32 ohm headphones.
  2. Headphone impedance changes with frequency. If the output impedance is much above zero this means the voltage delivered to the headphones will also change with frequency. The greater the output impedance, the greater the frequency response deviations. Different headphones will interact in different, and typically unpredictable, ways with the source. Sometimes these variations can be large and plainly audible.
  3. As output impedance increases electrical damping is reduced. The bass performance of the headphones, as designed by the manufacture, may be audibly compromised if there’s insufficient damping. The bass might become more “boomy” and less controlled. The transient response becomes worse and the deep bass performance is compromised (the headphones will roll off sooner at low frequencies). A few, such as those who like a very warm “tube like” sound, might enjoy this sort of under damped bass. But it’s almost always less accurate compared to using a low impedance source.

THE 1/8th RULE: To minimize all three of the above problems, it’s only necessary to keep the output impedance less than 1/8th the headphone impedance. Or, put another way, just divide the headphone impedance by 8 to get the maximum output impedance without potential audible degradation.
http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Yes, pay attention to this. I had Angie and it's rated at 17ohms, but I always found it's sound lacking a good amount in the higher region, and even more so when using balanced. I then saw an impedance graph someone posted in the Angie and it all made sense. The Angie apparently drops to 4ohms in certain parts of the treble region. I also measured the supplied balance cable and it turned out to be about .75ohm higher than supplied single ended cable. It's crazy how much it can affect the sound when it's "mismatched"

It was driving me mad that a quad high driver in the Angie didn't have any highs...

I ended up using it more of the single ended because the treble did better with it at 0.5ohm. I didn't blame it on the Onkyo as the output impedance is already reasonable low, it's the damn impedance swing that made it almost unreasonable load from the player (property damping for 1/8 of 4ohm is at max .5 or less). The Angie sounds so much more balanced when I used it with the Aurender Flow and it's 0.06ohm output, but it's not a practical pairing for a mobile setup.

So when finding a matching iem, make sure it's impedance swing won't affect certain frequencies, and not just look at the general rating. And balanced isn't always better if it's mismated.

I ended up selling the Angie as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back