ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 29, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #13,291 of 16,326
I think you might be onto something, I've looked at other amps and it would appear that the balanced mode is probably using both amps/dacs, while the single end only uses one of each?

That would probably explain why I can't tell the difference between 3rd party apps and the dedicated app. I'll have a balanced connection by next week hopefully. It's 3am , I gotta go to bed!

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #13,293 of 16,326

There's no chance of longer battery?
I don't know what you're talking about?
That's three days of battery life on wifi.

Was that meant for me?  Or was this directed towards somebody else?  I am not making fun just asking if it is a response to my earlier post about battery life?  I was just repeating what I was told by another person in this thread.  I have revised the post saying that I could not verify the accuracy of the information because I have yet to own or test one.  My apologies if your post was a reply to my post.  I did not claim it as accurate and should have stated such when I originally posted that.  Sorry again my friend.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #13,295 of 16,326
If i will use Tidal to listen HIFI music, will Onkyo use sabre dac to convert music to analog? Or it will use core processor istead of DAC?

There is no way the DAC is not involved regardless of the app you use except when you use a bluetooth headphone connected to DP-X1

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #13,297 of 16,326
Are you sure? Becouse in mobile phones like Meizu for example only stock player uses DAC. Other servises like Google Music bypass DAC.

what else is going to convert the digital signal to anolog which you hear from the analog output? I don't know about the Meizu phone you mention but if it bypass the DAC on the phone what does it use to convert the digital signal to analog? Remember "Digital to Analog Converter". if you hear a music that means it passses to a sort of DAC. No humans can hear music as we know it in digital signal form.

And DP-X1 only has a pair of DAC chip. The processor/SOC does not have a built-in DAC as far as I know.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #13,298 of 16,326
what else is going to convert the digital signal to anolog which you hear from the analog output? I don't know about the Meizu phone you mention but if it bypass the DAC on the phone what does it use to convert the digital signal to analog? Remember "Digital to Analog Converter". if you hear a music that means it passses to a sort of DAC. No humans can hear music as we know it in digital signal form.

And DP-X1 only has a pair of DAC chip. The processor/SOC does not have a built-in DAC as far as I know.

Some phones actually have their standard DAC that comes with its smartphone board, besides the ones specially used for audio.  So for Meizu, they have the standard (so called non-audiophile DAC) that comes with the board (qualcomm / mediatek / etc)... on top of the special DAC they install for the better audio. 

So, yes, naturally, meizu own app will utilize the DAC, while other 3rd party app will use the standard smartphone motherboard DAC.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #13,299 of 16,326
Some phones actually have their standard DAC that comes with its smartphone board, besides the ones specially used for audio.  So for Meizu, they have the standard (so called non-audiophile DAC) that comes with the board (qualcomm / mediatek / etc)... on top of the special DAC they install for the better audio. 

So, yes, naturally, meizu own app will utilize the DAC, while other 3rd party app will use the standard smartphone motherboard DAC.

That's what I thought but I don't think that is the case with DP-X1

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #13,301 of 16,326

There's no chance of longer battery?
I don't know what you're talking about?
That's three days of battery life on wifi.

If you want longer battery life shut the wifi off, this has been mentioned numerous times. Only have WiFi on when downloading and shut off afterwards. No device even smartphones are going to last for days with wifi on.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #13,303 of 16,326
You're right. It doesn't explain how it goes with X1 (or X1A). They couldn't have the original SOC DAC inside. Even if they did (seeing they use the snapdragon SOC too), they must have hard-wired the routing to the sabre DACs. 

If you read the product page they insinuate that they achieve true balanced mode via the dual amps and DACs. The other dual DAC players like a&k use a balanced output for that same reason.

EDIT: If you read what david previously posted, Onkyo USA stated that Both DAC's and BOTH amps are used for BOTH 3.5 and 2.5 balanced IN the onkyo music player.

However with third party apps, though it has NOT been tested, they are assuming it goes through ONE dac and BOTH Amplifiers. BOTH left and right channels go through each DAC and AMP together in the music amp. 3rd party apps would put BOTH left and right through BOTH amps, but only ONE DAC.

^Honestly, unless we pester Onkyo for actual data, we aren't going to get much farther than this. IMO, we need to let Onkyo know that we want more information on the X1A. Also, if a company like FiiO can test 3rd party compatibility with DACs, then Onkyo should have no problem.

It's a bit ironic, the reason why fiiO's software is having problems is because the company they hired to implement android 5.1 backed out of their contract, and demanded more money, which FiiO couldn't afford. So FiiO had to implement android themselves, hence all the hiccups they've had along the way. However even that fact that I'm able to tell you this shows their customer support is very close with their customers and is very honest. You always know what they're working on, what updates to expect, etc.

Onkyo has all the resources and money, so obviously android is very well implemented, and the quality of the device is superb. However we sit here, 800 pages in, and we still have questions about how the device works... this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I love my X1A, much much more than the X7 I used to own. But we need to let Onkyo know something's gotta change with this type of support. We, as their consumers, shouldn't be ok with this.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #13,305 of 16,326
Just tried Poweramp, full version. with "direct volume control" Poweramp it too loud for me on volume setting of  "4", for both single and balanced, Looks like poweramp has very little success fine-graining volume control on DP-X

Would you mind to try hibymusic free on playstore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back