ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 20, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #13,082 of 16,326

can't find the download button
blink.gif

here it is: http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/articles/firmware-update-dp-x1-01-12-2016-135777.html

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #13,084 of 16,326
  I can't even go to home screen an settings menu if I can't remember my password.
so the last chance is download the latest fw, can you give me that link? and what's the next moves?
thanks

Enter recovery by holding forward and power buttons when the unit is powered off.

You'll see a linux penguin logo when you have held it for about 3-4 seconds. Let go of both buttons and let recovery menu boot.

From the menu, use the forward/previous buttons to go up/down. Play button to select the option highlighted.

You'll want to use the wipe data/factory reset option.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #13,086 of 16,326

I heard both. I'd get the DP-X1A. To my ears DP-X1A > XDP-300R -> DP-X1.

X1A better defined bass (less distortion) on hard to drive cans (HIGH gain) that the other 2, 300R sounds more lively on modern genres than X1.

@lazner

Thanks, any idea how DP-X1A is vs Opus#1. 

Want a DAP that would last me for good time, thus fighting between   DPX1A - Opus#1 - DX200  (or Fiio X5/3)

Seeking battery, storage, neutral SQ as priorities.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #13,087 of 16,326
@lazner

Thanks, any idea how DP-X1A is vs Opus#1. 

Want a DAP that would last me for good time, thus fighting between   DPX1A - Opus#1 - DX200  (or Fiio X5/3)

Seeking battery, storage, neutral SQ as priorities.

Opus #1 edge out the Onkyo anytime. In fact, it sounds a bit like AK240.
Compared to high end DAPs, Onkyo sounds too artificial and digital.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #13,088 of 16,326
I'm waiting for a balanced DAP with tone control (Bass Boost) whose Sound Quality is reviewed at least as well as the Mojo. The RHA L1  is out there but I doubt it offers much of an upgrade to the sound quality of the DP-X1 on my low impedance headphones ( Beyerdynamic T5p.2 2nd Gen, 25 ohms). I'd imagine as balanced becomes more popular we'll be more and more likely to see a Mojo level amp with balanced outs and bass boost (Mojo 2?). The HiFi M8 is out there but I guess that it's not a true balanced amp, even though it has balanced headphone jacks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #13,089 of 16,326
For news, the dp-x1 and dp-x1a turned out to be year 2016 best seller top 5 (in sales revenue) in e-earphones (the largest retail chain for headfi gear in Japan).

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #13,090 of 16,326
I'm waiting for a balanced DAP with tone control (Bass Boost) whose Sound Quality is reviewed at least as well as the Mojo. The RHA L1  is out there but I doubt it offers much of an upgrade to the sound quality of the DP-X1 on my low impedance headphones ( Beyerdynamic T5p.2 2nd Gen, 25 ohms). I'd imagine as balanced becomes more popular we'll be more and more likely to see a Mojo level amp with balanced outs and bass boost (Mojo 2?). The HiFi M8 is out there but I guess that it's not a true balanced amp, even though it has balanced headphone jacks.

Maybe consider the Vantam R627 II

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #13,091 of 16,326

Id be willing to bet everything I own that Chord will never implement Balanced anything in what they make. SE is as good as balanced if done right, people think its better because its louder.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #13,092 of 16,326
Opus #1 edge out the Onkyo anytime. In fact, it sounds a bit like AK240.
Compared to high end DAPs, Onkyo sounds too artificial and digital.

One persons view. I like and own both. They have different sigs and sound great with different headphones and genres. The Onkyo definitely has more bells and whistles then the Opus. I like both and I was going to sell my Onkyo and buy the X5iii but decided to keep the Onkyo especially since Tidal will have MQA soon.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #13,093 of 16,326
One persons view. I like and own both. They have different sigs and sound great with different headphones and genres. The Onkyo definitely has more bells and whistles then the Opus. I like both and I was going to sell my Onkyo and buy the X5iii but decided to keep the Onkyo especially since Tidal will have MQA soon.

I myself owned many DAPs and I don't really like the sound of Onkyo find it too artificial, many in my audiophile friends agreed with me too.
Onkyo is priced reasonably but when compared to other TOTL DAPs out there, Onkyo is still not up there, to be honest.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #13,094 of 16,326
I myself owned many DAPs and I don't really like the sound of Onkyo find it too artificial, many in my audiophile friends agreed with me too.
Onkyo is priced reasonably but when compared to other TOTL DAPs out there, Onkyo is still not up there, to be honest.

Thats cool, thats why i was stating that it depends on what you like, and what headphones youre using. To each their own.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #13,095 of 16,326
Thats cool, thats why i was stating that it depends on what you like, and what headphones youre using. To each their own.

Why I feel so is my own personal experience with so many DAPs out there. But I'm for sure Onkyo is not in my list of great sounding ones, it's only on my list of reasonably priced DAPs with acceptable sound quality.
My headphones : Grado GS1000e, Grado PS500, Grado SR325e, Sony MDR-Z7, Audio Technica ATH-EW9

My iems : Final Audio FI-BA-SS, Audio Technica Ck100pro, Inear SD2, JVC HA-FW02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back