ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #12,935 of 16,326
This user has owed both devices.

Link

Thanks for the link!
However, I looked at the first and last pages and it's 90% in Chinese lol. Was there something I missed?
I actually speak/read Chinese at a basic level, like I can survive in China, order food, taxis, whatever.
But reading about electronic specifications and sound signature reviews is out of my league
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #12,936 of 16,326
For me it is a big decision maker, how actively the vendor reply to 'issues'. And how ready they are to update their android monster. Fiio and Cayin seem to have the lead. But maybe im not right? 

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #12,937 of 16,326
I would say its more like Predators 2010 with Laurence Fishburne. There were two types of Predators in that movie.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you know, I can't recall ever having seen that!
basshead.gif

It was a regular film, right? Not animated?
Otherwise, no idea how it passed me by, since I do love Sci-Fi (amongst many other genres!)..
Must check it out. Unless you're going to tell me it was terrible
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #12,938 of 16,326
The QP1R has better sound quality, resolution and is more musical compared with DP-X1 and DP-X1A. It also has better driving power. All this is in comparison to balanced on the Onkyo.

The QP1R is also more expensive than the Onkyo so it's not quite a fair comparison.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #12,939 of 16,326
The Dual DAC/AGC is a global setting so it should be accessible by 3rd party apps. The bugs alone in X7 are annoying enough for me to keep it in my storage bin. I am hoping Fiio can finish their new FW soon so I can make a proper comparison with DP-X1. While DP-X1 is not perfect, it's a better DAP than X7 imo as far as UI is concern. Still not drawing conclusions with SQ yet since the FW on X7 is not final.

The usb mass storage should not be a problem for MAC as you can just plug the SD cards directly to MAC.

Micro SD cards are very fragile, and susceptible to static. Swapping them every time is not a good long-term solution at all

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #12,942 of 16,326
I was thinking of getting one of these and two 200 GB cards.  I know these are probably answered in this thread somewhere but it's 900 pages!

I'm just mostly wondering how this is for usability.  Can you shuffle all music from TIDAL offline and my own iTunes files over both cards and internal memory etc..  I mostly will build a playlist up in TIDAL then transfer to my iPhone to play back.  I would do mostly the same with the DP-X1 but would also want to include many albums from my iTunes collection.  Is it easy to just drag files right from iTunes to the DP X1?  I was going to order one from B&H so I can return it if it's a problem to use.  I am pretty sure I will be happy with the sound just the overall functionality of it is what I am mostly wondering about.  If it worked as good as an iPod as far as function goes I would be happy.  

Thanks, Ryan 

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #12,943 of 16,326
  The QP1R has better sound quality, resolution and is more musical compared with DP-X1 and DP-X1A. It also has better driving power. All this is in comparison to balanced on the Onkyo.

The QP1R is also more expensive than the Onkyo so it's not quite a fair comparison.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #12,944 of 16,326
I was thinking of getting one of these and two 200 GB cards.  I know these are probably answered in this thread somewhere but it's 900 pages!

I'm just mostly wondering how this is for usability.  Can you shuffle all music from TIDAL offline and my own iTunes files over both cards and internal memory etc..  I mostly will build a playlist up in TIDAL then transfer to my iPhone to play back.  I would do mostly the same with the DP-X1 but would also want to include many albums from my iTunes collection.  Is it easy to just drag files right from iTunes to the DP X1?  I was going to order one from B&H so I can return it if it's a problem to use.  I am pretty sure I will be happy with the sound just the overall functionality of it is what I am mostly wondering about.  If it worked as good as an iPod as far as function goes I would be happy.  

Thanks, Ryan 

Tidal works with no issues, I have 609 songs for Tidal offline and always use shuffle. As for itunes there shouldn't be any issues with loading them.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #12,945 of 16,326
  So far I am not really thrilled with the battery life of the DP-X1. If downloading HiRes files with Tidal over WiFi cuts the battery by approx. 50% after one hour of downloading... Fine for me if that is what it is. 

However even with everything deactivated (WiFi OFF, Bluetooth OFF, Screen set to lowest brightness but mainly OFF) and listening to Tidal in offline mode the battery is draining fast (3-5 hours max).

Battery life seems to be longer when using Onkyo's native app...

I tried the follwing cups:
Beyerdynamic T90 (250 ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition (250 ohm)
as well as my Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 (reshelled)
*** all not balanced ***

After I exchanged the original batteries of the iBassos (both DX50 as well as DX90) I could listen for approx. 14 hours.
I already see myself running around with an iPhone 7, the Onkyo DP-X1 and  couple of power banks to avoid running out of juice...

If you're not using Balanced output, have you tried setting "Sound & Notification > Output Select > OFF"? 
That should turn off the Balanced AGC drive circuits, which aren't needed - and could provide longer battery life.

Also, are you using the DSP / EQ functions of the DAP?

Take Care,
David Baldock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back