ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #12,797 of 16,326
A friend is at the CES 2017. Can someone please suggest me a reliable store or retailer to buy the Onkyo DP-X1 from?

PS: I checked Amazon and it is going for $599. But I am in India and I don't want to pay $184 extra for shipping and taxes. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #12,799 of 16,326
Hi,

I'm looking at the Dp-x1a. I imagine the internal dac/amp will work for me but If I chose to down the line, I'd be able bypass the Dp's dac in favor of an external dac/amp like the Chord Mojo, yeah? Bypassing internal dacs seems to be doable in Android 5.1 as I understand it and I'd like to know that my options will be open before I make the investment.

Thanks,
-Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #12,800 of 16,326
Hi,

I'm looking at the Dp-x1a. I imagine the internal dac/amp will work for me but If I chose to down the line, I'd be able bypass the Dp's dac in favor of an external dac/amp like the Chord Mojo, yeah? Bypassing internal dacs seems to be doable in Android 5.1 as I understand it and I'd like to know that my options will be open before I make the investment.

Thanks,
-Bill

Funny how people apply the word "investment" to any purchase. But to answer your question, yes, DP-X1 has a digital output via USB so you can bypass the DAC/Amp

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #12,801 of 16,326
Funny how people apply the word "investment" to any purchase. But to answer your question, yes, DP-X1 has a digital output via USB so you can bypass the DAC/Amp

I'm considering the Onkyo DAP, the Chord MoJo and possibly upgrading my D2000's with the Beyer T5P 2nd Gen which are said to be a relatively good higher end closed set that I imagine being usable in places like a coffee shop or possibly a studio. This adds up quickly price wise. Maybe 'indulgence' is a more appropriate word than 'investment'.

Thanks for the confirming the ability to output :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #12,802 of 16,326

if you have the opportunity to listen to both and decide which one is for you ... for me I can't swallow the idea of getting a 700 $ player just to use it as a digital transport for another 600$ mojo !! there are better options in my opinion

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #12,803 of 16,326
if you have the opportunity to listen to both and decide which one is for you ... for me I can't swallow the idea of getting a 700 $ player just to use it as a digital transport for another 600$ mojo !! there are better options in my opinion

I'm sure you're right. I'll be using easily driven headphones and imagine that the built in DAC/AMP of the DAP will be more than fine, probably extremely comparable to what's in the external units. I do expect that I'd have the chance to get a demo from the headphone shop from whom I plan to buy the Headphones and DAP. 

Cheers

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #12,804 of 16,326

I'm only answering the question, it's not up to me how he wants to use it. But it's a good transport for a desktop DAC/Amp nonetheless.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #12,805 of 16,326
Tidal has announced at CEC 2017 mqa streaming on their desktop apps. Hoping it's available soon on their android app to use with my Onkyo DP-X1.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2017/01/05/tidal-announces-support-for-hi-res-mqa-technology-with-immediate-effect/#7baead7d42dc

Jan 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #12,806 of 16,326

As for me I already own a MOJO and love it and since I got it I am listening about 10 times more to my music library mostly with foobarl have a dx90 but I realized since I got this DAC I am digging more and more in my music collection and rediscovering my lovely music and since everything is on a Wlan it make sense to get a wifi player and detach myself from the computer, actually I am just wondering about the USB audio output since android up sampling the sound except if we use UAPP or hibymusic by the way I am considering also the fiio X5 3 gen since it got also coax output witch is supposed to play even DSD, anyway I would love to know the experience of dp_X1 owner who use it with a DAC

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #12,807 of 16,326
  I'm only answering the question, it's not up to me how he wants to use it. But it's a good transport for a desktop DAC/Amp nonetheless.

sorry for being somewhat rude, man .. that wasn't my intention 
redface.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #12,808 of 16,326
I picked up the DP-X1 and the Beyer T5P 2nd Gens this afternoon. The shop owner had a MoJo out and offered to hook it up to his personal DP-X1 which I tried out along with the new cans before purchasing. I asked about the MoJo and he had one out and ready to listen to but he told me it wouldn't make any meaningful difference over the DAP and so I skipped it. I had planned to hold out for the DP-X1A vs. the DP-X1 but this guys price was a couple hundred less than anyone local and probably better than had I paid exchange and import duty on an Ebay purchase.

It's a nice piece of gear, very very solid feel, nice screen and the shop owner was using one as his personal player which I figure is a good sign. I haven't had much chance to play around with it just yet.

The headphones are reviewed really well and written of as a higher echelon headphone, and they Are nice headphones but not life changing compared to the D2000's. I think that's as much of a compliment to the 'venerable'  Denon's as much as anything else. If this happen's to be read by someone not familiar with the D2K's, a used pair would probably be very very hard to beat for the money going by how much they are not out classed by these much more expensive Beyer's that seem to be pretty well respected. The Beyer's do have much better isolation though which is what I bought them for for use in coffee shops and potentially a studio environment (art studio, not music), more bass for sure, easily driven and 'maybe' a bit fuller sound but in Canada they are running $1,300-$1,500 where I've seen them and even with the $200 that the shop owner knocked off to put the price at $1100 CAD, the price difference is WAY in the favor of the Denon's.

Also, as an aside, if this happens to read by any fellow Torontonian's I bought from 'Headphoneshop' on Yonge Street and it was the owner who knocked off $200 from the price of the DAP (Bay Bloor Radio lists them at $1000) and took $200 of the headphones (the only other Canadian retailer I've seen listing them actually has them at $1500 CAD vs the $1100 I paid after this guy's discount) as well as suggesting that I Not buy the Mojo. He seems to know headphones Really well, being able to compare sound signatures to my Denon's which have been out of production for five years. On the other hand his store front is the front corner of a FedEx shop and he's running the store off of an iPad which I found colourful. Also, the Beyer's are in great shape but the box had obviously been opened which may have contributed to the discount. I found the whole thing interesting enough to be worth a comment.

Mmet, I don't think you were being rude at all, and headwhacker I appreciate the insight, this DAP does seem to be a very solid transport.

Cheers,
-Bill

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #12,809 of 16,326
  I picked up the DP-X1 and the Beyer T5P 2nd Gens this afternoon. The shop owner had a MoJo out and offered to hook it up to his personal DP-X1 which I tried out along with the new cans before purchasing. I asked about the MoJo and he had one out and ready to listen to but he told me it wouldn't make any meaningful difference over the DAP and so I skipped it. I had planned to hold out for the DP-X1A vs. the DP-X1 but this guys price was a couple hundred less than anyone local and probably better than had I paid exchange and import duty on an Ebay purchase.

It's a nice piece of gear, very very solid feel, nice screen and the shop owner was using one as his personal player which I figure is a good sign. I haven't had much chance to play around with it just yet.

The headphones are reviewed really well and written of as a higher echelon headphone, and they Are nice headphones but not life changing compared to the D2000's. I think that's as much of a compliment to the 'venerable'  Denon's as much as anything else. If this happen's to be read by someone not familiar with the D2K's, a used pair would probably be very very hard to beat for the money going by how much they are not out classed by these much more expensive Beyer's that seem to be pretty well respected. The Beyer's do have much better isolation though which is what I bought them for for use in coffee shops and potentially a studio environment (art studio, not music), more bass for sure, easily driven and 'maybe' a bit fuller sound but in Canada they are running $1,300-$1,500 where I've seen them and even with the $200 that the shop owner knocked off to put the price at $1100 CAD, the price difference is WAY in the favor of the Denon's.

Also, as an aside, if this happens to read by any fellow Torontonian's I bought from 'Headphoneshop' on Yonge Street and it was the owner who knocked off $200 from the price of the DAP (Bay Bloor Radio lists them at $1000) and took $200 of the headphones (the only other Canadian retailer I've seen listing them actually has them at $1500 CAD vs the $1100 I paid after this guy's discount) as well as suggesting that I Not buy the Mojo. He seems to know headphones Really well, being able to compare sound signatures to my Denon's which have been out of production for five years. On the other hand his store front is the front corner of a FedEx shop and he's running the store off of an iPad which I found colourful. Also, the Beyer's are in great shape but the box had obviously been opened which may have contributed to the discount. I found the whole thing interesting enough to be worth a comment.

Mmet, I don't think you were being rude at all, and headwhacker I appreciate the insight, this DAP does seem to be a very solid transport.

Cheers,
-Bill

congratulations ^_^ ... hope you enjoy it and waiting your impressions 
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #12,810 of 16,326
  I picked up the DP-X1 and the Beyer T5P 2nd Gens this afternoon ...

Congratulations 
beerchug.gif

That's the combination I use and love. I think you'll find that the Beyers 'loosen up' a bit over time and sound even better.

It's well worth getting a balanced cable for them too to get the best out of the DP-X1. 

Happy listening 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back