ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 27, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #11,836 of 16,326
Hi Everyone

I bought the DP-X1 and it is on its way now. reading this thread, i understand that the balanced output is the way to go. i have a Sennheiser IE800 (which has a 3.5mm jack output, but also has a 2.5mm connector very close to the the earphone end).

Since the balanced output on the onkyo dp-x1 is 2.5mm, how do you suggest i can use it with my IE800s?

You'll have to purchase a separate cable for the IE800s. I have seen positive references in this thread to PETEREK who can make the required cable for you.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #11,837 of 16,326

I use AFT. Seeing both cards every time. Format both cards (Menu - Storage - Erase Cards) IN THE DP-X1. Not in a card reader plugged into your Mac, using disk utility. Then you won't need to worry about the format structure. As I know from my own experience, AFT is quite reliable except the rare hangs and unexpected quits.

Alternately, you can do the above, take out the cards and copy files from your Mac into the cards. If you need remove the cards, always remember to Unmount each one. Wait till you see 'Mount Card' under the Menu. Somewhere in the menu there is a switch to toggle automatic sync on and off. This will allow your DAP to sync with the music on your cards automatically on insertion. If turned off, you may see nothing on it after insertion.

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #11,838 of 16,326
Hi all, new to this forum and wanted to let you know that I have the DP-X1a in pre-order. Hope it becomes available soon here in Europe. 

Welcome on board and congratulations on your new to arrive DAP.
Where in Europe can you pre-order the DP-X1A if I may ask?

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #11,840 of 16,326
Oct 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #11,841 of 16,326

I use AFT. Seeing both cards every time. Format both cards (Menu - Storage - Erase Cards) IN THE DP-X1. Not in a card reader plugged into your Mac, using disk utility. Then you won't need to worry about the format structure. As I know from my own experience, AFT is quite reliable except the rare hangs and unexpected quits.

Alternately, you can do the above, take out the cards and copy files from your Mac into the cards. If you need remove the cards, always remember to Unmount each one. Wait till you see 'Mount Card' under the Menu. Somewhere in the menu there is a switch to toggle automatic sync on and off. This will allow your DAP to sync with the music on your cards automatically on insertion. If turned off, you may see nothing on it after insertion.

Does AFT work through the USB cable interface to your Mac, or via the WiFi connection?

I know that my USB 3.0 connected Card Reader can transfer files a lot faster than a USB 2.0 connected device, and both are generally faster than WiFi (except WiFi AC may be faster than USB 2.0).

Take Care,
David Baldock

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #11,843 of 16,326
  OK. Here is the custom TWRP recovery for Onkyo DP-X1 DAP: link
If you do not know what it is, then you do not need it :wink: Use at your own risk.
Brief instruction:
1) Boot your player in Fastboot mode (press Power button + Prev track button simultaneously until the penguin)
2) Connect to USB, Install the driver if necessary (Choose "Android ADB interface" from the drivers list).
3) run _flash.bat file or use manual commands to flash or boot into recovery.
You're done. Enjoy!

can you or someone re-upload this cause the link is broken and the file is removed thank you.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #11,844 of 16,326
Oct 29, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #11,846 of 16,326
Hi,

Just want to ask, how can I show the full album cover while playing a song in the default music player. Thanks

If you have updated the player through Google Play Store, click the 3-dots at the top-right of the Music app, and choose "Change playback screen mode".

Oct 29, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #11,848 of 16,326
Hi all, new to this forum and wanted to let you know that I have the DP-X1a in pre-order. Hope it becomes available soon here in Europe. The DP-X1A are actually my baby steps in the mobile audio business. I am a long-time hifi enthusiast where it comes to home hifi and after my recent purchase of a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 I was very annoyed by it's awful audio output. There's so much background noise (crackling, mainly) and the sound quality of the device is lacking. So annoyed that I decided to look for a better solution. The Surface pro 4 is an awesome device for everything but audio, it seems. Real happy with it, with the exception of sound quality.

First looked at USB dacs (Fiio K1 for example), but along the road of finding the device that would suit my needs best I ended up with the Onkyo DP-X1. I won't be using it as a usb dac since that functonality sadly still does not seem to be supported by the Onkyo. Would really love that feature, by the way! Should not be too hard enabling it, since many other DAP makers have aleady integrated that functionality in their devices.

Anyway, as soon as the DP-X1A gets delivered I'll be on the lookout for a good headset. I have some IEMs that I will be using when on the move or working at a customer's location (I'm an IT consultant), but what I don't have yet is a decent set of cans for use at home. Reading through the forum I found many enthusiastic comments on several sets, but as a strong believer in synergy I am looking for the one that would have a good match with the DP-X1a. Also, I believe that headsets must match the type of music that it will be used with most. Classical music requires a different approach than techno or house music, for example. My personal music preference is electronic music (Jon Hopkins, James Blake, Solomon Grey, but also older stuff such as Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis), rock music (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Supertramp) and pop music.

I'm looking at using the balanced output, since that seems to give best results in terms of sound quality.

My queston now is: looking at the device (DP-X1A) and my musical taste, what set of cans would suit my needs best? Budget is somewhere around 400 euros, excluding cable. Plan for now is to purchase the headset and then purchase the balanced cable later. Also I think that comfort of the headset is very important. If wearing the headset is uncomfortable (painful for the ears, uncomfortably hot, etc) I won't be getting all the fun out of it that I would like.

In other words: which set of cans are comfortable to wear, have a good match with the DP-X1 and pack a good punch for my musical preferences? Any recommendation or advice is highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I would suggest the JVC HA-SS01 earphones

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #11,849 of 16,326
I see that a some of you have rooted your devices.  The main reason to root for me would be to get Android 6 installed on it ... Have anyone succeed in upgrading the Android version to the latest? 

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #11,850 of 16,326
If nobody ported Marshmallow or Nougat for the DP-X1, then no. I don't think anyone did, maybe some tried to port it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back